The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography or Drama

I am in year 10 and have chosen geography as one of my options. I am finding it really boring but we've started with physical geography and I'm only really interested in human geography. I'm wondering whether to swap to drama. I really enjoy the creative side of drama but I'm probably not the strongest with the actual performance side of things. The main thing that put me off choosing it in the first place was the group work. At least with geography I can just get on with my own work but I don't know if I can stick it for 2 years! I can probably get a higher grade in geography. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone doing geography or drama in year 11 and can tell me which one you are really glad you did or regret doing?
Bruh geography is my favourite. i can help u if u want. i'm in Y11.
i did geography at gcse and it was one of my best subjects, ended up getting a 9- i struggled with the physical geography a bit as well but i bet you'll at least find some of the physical geography interesting as it may link to human geog. i felt like i could get away with more common sense with the exam as well, especially human geography so i felt like the burden of revision was less. just pick whichever one you think you'll enjoy the most (sounds like it might be drama??)- bear in mind drama has a high workload as well though.
Original post by absolutelysprout
i did geography at gcse and it was one of my best subjects, ended up getting a 9- i struggled with the physical geography a bit as well but i bet you'll at least find some of the physical geography interesting as it may link to human geog. i felt like i could get away with more common sense with the exam as well, especially human geography so i felt like the burden of revision was less. just pick whichever one you think you'll enjoy the most (sounds like it might be drama??)- bear in mind drama has a high workload as well though.

Thanks for the reply and helpful comments. I kind of know what you mean about geography being more common sense and I have heard that there's quite a lot of work for drama. I think I'm going to stick with geography and hope I enjoy the human geography stuff.
Original post by crowlands1234
Thanks for the reply and helpful comments. I kind of know what you mean about geography being more common sense and I have heard that there's quite a lot of work for drama. I think I'm going to stick with geography and hope I enjoy the human geography stuff.

no worries! yeah there's pros and cons to all subjects really, unfortunately you probably won't enjoy 100% of any subject's content
Drama is more fun, but Geography is academically better. Luckily, I did both.
I did geography even though I only liked the human side of things and still regret it 6 years later. My coursework was physical based and I did terribly on it so it pulled my grade down by a lot.

I'm not even sure if coursework is still a thing in GCSEs anymore but if it is, check what your school makes you do for it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by crowlands1234
I am in year 10 and have chosen geography as one of my options. I am finding it really boring but we've started with physical geography and I'm only really interested in human geography. I'm wondering whether to swap to drama. I really enjoy the creative side of drama but I'm probably not the strongest with the actual performance side of things. The main thing that put me off choosing it in the first place was the group work. At least with geography I can just get on with my own work but I don't know if I can stick it for 2 years! I can probably get a higher grade in geography. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone doing geography or drama in year 11 and can tell me which one you are really glad you did or regret doing?

I take geography and personally really enjoy the subject, I got a 9 in both of my year 10 mocks,although I would say its definitely quite content heavy e.g there are lots of things to remember, however no one in my year takes gcse drama as the course was canceled due to not having enough people wanting to do it so I can't offer any advice on that. I guess it depends on what job you want to do as to whether or not you choose high grades or something you enjoy more. Hope this helps :smile:
i did not take drama, so i cant speak for that, but for me geography got so so much worse in year 10 than year 9. i enjoyed it a lot in year 9 and thats why i chose it instead of history. i now really regret doing that. i dont find it too hard and i dont think its too challenging if you learn the content as you go along, but im just finding it really boring so i agree with you. just do what you think you will enjoy more, at the end of the day no ones going to mind if you got a 5 in drama compared to a 6 in geography or with whatever grade, just do what will make school most enjoyable. however i do have friends who do drama who have struggled with the amount of coursework (they had a load to do over the summer) so drama isnt just fun, however in my opinion i dont think it could be any less boring than geography
Original post by absolutelysprout

My best subject but went from an 8 to a 4?
Original post by METRIX64
My best subject but went from an 8 to a 4?

look at your past assessments- maybe your previous revision methods aren't working for you anymore. talk to your teacher as well.

Quick Reply

Latest