The Student Room Group

Unemployment

Is there a way into internships without online applications. How can you network to find an internship. The ones where you have to apply online are too competitive. My question applies to Law and Non Law. The only internships I have done have been ones that I wasn't assessed for.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Stop applying. Speak to a therapist. You need a reality check of your competitiveness and you need to stop torturing yourself.
basically this is where' it's about who U know' cones in

it's not that hard. don't beat the competition just be the competition
If you are not good enough for a graduate programme you're going to have to settle for something else dude. That's just how it works.
No you were asking how to find connections to get an internship. Just go on LinkedIn and start applying for other roles dude.
I got CCD and a 3rd at uni bachelor's. I've made it to the AC many times of big companies
Dude I worked for 9 hours today while ill because I needed to hit my billables and my throat hurts so bad I can't sleep but I'm still going to be working tomorrow because no one else can take my tasks over. What do you think working as a city lawyer is like???
You have so little self awareness it hurts and my comment was in response to you acting like city law is elite circle and nice dinners. Grow up dude.
first how many applications have you made and which stage do you fail at normally
7 applications is nothing and you already giving up 🤣 I'm on my 233rd application

so it's seems CV screening is your weak point
ahh I sucked at them too

SHL and artic shores are the hardest ones
You've only sent 7 apps!!!! Most of them not even for a real role. Send more apps and stop being such a baby. If you can't even handle this part, you won't be able to handle the actual job.
I don't have a particularly high IQ. I just work harder than you. You don't actually work as hard as you think you do if this is the standard you've set for yourself.

11 applications is so low as to be laughable. Thats how many I made for a single winter vacation scheme cycle. I probably sent close to 200 applications before I got a training contract offer, and this doesn't include open days. This is on top of going to multiple networking events a week, volunteering for two charities, gettins any work experience I could that didn't violate my visa, writing for two student publications, and getting good results.

No **** its demoralising to get rejections, but you either keep going or you give up. This middle ground of "Im not good enough for the elite but I turn my nose up at mid-tier firms" isn't a good look. You aren't good enough for the good firms. Apply for the ones that you are good enough for and if they reject you, fix your apps. And if that doesn't work, do something else. No one owes you a good job. I have financial security and a good job because I worked much much harder than you for much much longer. Stop being so entitled. Grow. Up.
Then stop whining on TSR and start applying to those jobs. That's not what this post was originally about and its devolved into a massive pity party anyway. You have to apply.
I am an old lawyer. I made 139 applications whilst doing my law degree and had 25 interviews before getting a training contract (despite being top of year, law prizes, scholarships etc). Luckily (or more correctly not luck but because I applied to 139 firms) I got one - this was when we had the worst unemployment in the UK for FIFTY years in the 1980s.

So you are where you are. You are sick of making applications. So you need to go another path. Eg if you are interested in law I don't know if you did a law degree? Assuming you did not then try to get some voluntary legal work whilst self teaching for SQE 1 and SQE2 exams and get in by the new back door - SQE1 is I think multiple choice and seems to aim to let any Tom D ick or Harry into the profession.
Then why on earth are you on here acting like your life is over?
I literally have a learning disability. Are you serious?

Most people when they realize they ****ed their grades just start getting used to the fact that they aren't good enough for law or IB and try to find something else. You will get some job and it won't be the end of the world.
Redoing your a levels after graduation is pointless. Of course you'll have higher a level results as a 22 year old.
I am not the best person to be giving out advice as I am in a similar position but I can only pass on the advice I was given. Entering the career ladder is always the hardest but once you've got your first job its just a matter of time and hardwork before you get to the top making your grades quite redundant. Therefore, considering your grades and the sector you should probably look into applying at smaller companies, making connections through linkedin and offer to work for minimum wage or even free for job experience. Avoid going into those big corporations right away as you will be wasting your time. Also, someone has mentioned that connections comes in this which is totally correct. On another note, stop being so negative about your grades, theres very little you can do about them. Getting into a specific career doesn't only depend on good academic credentials, instead work to be a well-rounded person. You can give up after 6 applications but at the end of the day you're the one that will need the job and employers wont approach you. This is life **** happens but it doesn't mean you will be unemployed forever. From experience, life can change so quickly just be consistent. @Gmaster1980 has actually been honest with you, should probably look to take some advice on board instead of challenging it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry to disturb you but did you do resit your alevels in 1 year or done it in 2 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending