The Student Room Group

Psychiatrist field

Hi! I’m currently taking A-levels (English Literature, History and German). I got 7s in science at GCSE. (Just for context) so I was considering careers, and I’ve decided I’d like to go into the mental health field, and help others suffering. This would be a fulfilling career for me as I would like to know I’m helping people when I go to work. I am aware though, that my A-Levels aren’t exactly tailored to this career path, will this be a problem! And any advice on getting into the field / what degree to do etc. Thank you for any advice!
Original post by sadiemariex04
Hi! I’m currently taking A-levels (English Literature, History and German). I got 7s in science at GCSE. (Just for context) so I was considering careers, and I’ve decided I’d like to go into the mental health field, and help others suffering. This would be a fulfilling career for me as I would like to know I’m helping people when I go to work. I am aware though, that my A-Levels aren’t exactly tailored to this career path, will this be a problem! And any advice on getting into the field / what degree to do etc. Thank you for any advice!

Psychiatry is a medical specialty and so to become a psychiatrist you need to do a medical degree. For information on A-level requirements for medicine see this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Note that psychiatry is not the same as clinical psychology or counselling, although all three professions may work together. You should understand the differences and decide which you would prefer to pursue, as each of the first two at least have different requirements and require different degrees to qualify in those fields.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest