The Student Room Group

Jobs that require 2.1

I graduated with a 2.2 (58%) in Computer Science and a Distinction in my MSc in International Business Management (73%). Can I still apply for jobs that require a 2.1 minimum? I do not have particular reasons for my 2.2. I just found it very difficult even though I did my best. Business seemed a lot easier for me to understand and apply my knowledge.
Reply 1
Original post by Luca27
I graduated with a 2.2 (58%) in Computer Science and a Distinction in my MSc in International Business Management (73%). Can I still apply for jobs that require a 2.1 minimum? I do not have particular reasons for my 2.2. I just found it very difficult even though I did my best. Business seemed a lot easier for me to understand and apply my knowledge.

The job description should make it clear whether it is referring explicitly to any degree or specifically to a bachelor or masters degree. There may also be a requirement that you must have a "2:1 in a relevant degree" and some companies may exclude you if they do not feel that your masters is a relevant degree for that role. If it is not made explicitly clear, then assume it is okay and apply.

With regards to software development and related roles, there is usually some emphasis on having practical skills and project work. Therefore even if you do not precisely meet the requirements, there may be some companies which are more wiling to be flexible if you can demonstrate a strong project portfolio.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
If in doubt apply - unless you are concerned about the time taken for speculative applications. You miss all the shots you don't take.
Reply 3
Look at what else you have to offer. Any work experience or volunteering should contribute.

Employers have to look for attitude and ability.

Quick Reply

Latest