The Student Room Group

Biology AS level help

Please help, I don't understand why its D.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello, each light grey circle is a non polar amino acid. Bonds are broken in between no polar and polar amino acids. Try circling all of the non polar amino acids and where there are more than one in a row group them together. Hope that helps x
I did try to do that, but I got 3 amino acids, so I picked C.

Also, what does small peptide mean.

Thanks btw.
Original post by sweetescobar
I did try to do that, but I got 3 amino acids, so I picked C.

Also, what does small peptide mean.

Thanks btw.

Can you show me your working out? Small peptide is a group of amino acids. It looks like you’ve done it correctly. There are three single amino acids and 14 groups of 2 or more amino acids bonded together
Original post by sweetescobar
Please help, I don't understand why its D.

646EEE91-C2E0-4AB5-8635-64E85F2DEDB5.jpeg
Original post by GloriaGrabrielle
646EEE91-C2E0-4AB5-8635-64E85F2DEDB5.jpeg

Please don’t just give the answer, it’s more helpful to show them how to figure it out for themselves 😊
(Original post by (Original post by GloriaGrabrielle)

The catalyst only catalyses between non polar and ALL polar amio acids. Here all of the shapes are polar except the oval one. So if you break the bonds between all these like in the picture you'd get 13 small peptide chains and 4 single amino acids(around the pink lines).

A peptide chain will have more than 1 amino acid/ a group of amino acids joined together by peptide bonds. Usually in our body, these peptide chains have 50 to 200 amino acids. So a small peptide chain can have any number of amino acids except one. A peptide chain will have more than 1 amino acid/ a group of amio acids joined together by peptide bonds. (Usually in our body, these peptide chains have 50 to 200 amio acids. ) So a small peptide chain can have any number of amio acids except one.
(edited 2 years ago)
(Original post by (Original post by GloriaGrabrielle)

The catalyst only catalyses between non polar and ALL polar amio acids. Here all of the shapes are polar except the oval one. So if you break the bonds between all these like in the picture you'd get 13 small peptide chains and 4 single amio acids(around the pink lines).

A peptide chain will have more than 1 amino acid/ a group of amio acids joined together by peptide bonds. Usually in our body, these peptide chains have 50 to 200 amio acids. So a small peptide chain can have any number of amio acids except one. A peptide chain will have more than 1 amino acid/ a group of amio acids joined together by peptide bonds. Usually in our body, these peptide chains have 50 to 200 amio acids. So a small peptide chain can have any number of amio acids except one.

You've literally ignored the request by @Chi chi5 above. Please do not just give people the answers in SH, but guide them towards finding the answer for themselves. This is much more helpful to everyone. Thanks.
Original post by Reality Check
You've literally ignored the request by @Chi chi5 above. Please do not just give people the answers in SH, but guide them towards finding the answer for themselves. This is much more helpful to everyone. Thanks.

Since the op had already attempted the question, I reckoned they'll understand from the picture.

And right now, i did try and explain how to find the answer. How did i not keep the request ?
Since the op had already attempted the question, I reckoned they'll understand from the picture.

And right now, i did try and explain how to find the answer. How did i not keep the request ?

The OP hasn't attempted the question in terms of using the information provided here to guide him or her towards the answer: they've just said 'this is my answer' in post 3, essentially, and left it at that.

It's technically permitted to just give the answer like you have (not in maths SH, note), but it's discouraged because it essentially doesn't help anyone else reading the thread as to how they could learn some strategies to work the answer out for themselves. :smile:
Thanks for the help, I understand it now and how to answer it. I knew that there were 3 amino acids, it was just that thing about small polypeptides that I didn't understand.

Quick Reply