The Student Room Group

Warwick, Bristol and Exeter?

What are these universities like? Does any have an positive and negatives about them or what the area is like and the types of people? Thank you!
They are all good universities but very different. Bristol is an old university in the middle of a large city. Exeter is a more modern campus university with 2 campuses in a smallish city. Warwick is a modern out of town campus university several miles out a mid sized industrial city. They all have different strengths. You need to look into things in more detail and decide if any are right for you. Nobody can do that on here for you.
Reply 2
Yeah, I really like Bristol I have added it to my application. I'm just on that last part of choosing universities where I have picked my top two/three and my back-up, I've just got the middle to fill in now really. I was thinking Exeter but it just seems quite small and isolated whereas Bristol is much more connected to its city I think. I'll have to look into it but i'll probably just end up choosing Exeter anyways.
Been to Bristol many times (can't really comment on Warwick or Exeter apart from a friend started at Warwick this year and says everything is fine so far) and the city is SO nice and it's very diverse and has good night life. If you get a chance then go to each of the cities and feel the vibe out :smile:
Original post by maddis0nw
Yeah, I really like Bristol I have added it to my application. I'm just on that last part of choosing universities where I have picked my top two/three and my back-up, I've just got the middle to fill in now really. I was thinking Exetef Carir but it just seems quite small and isolated whereas Bristol is much more connected to its city I think. I'll have to look into it but i'll probably just end up choosing Exeter anyways.

Exeter isnt remote. It is a 15 minute walk from either campus to the city centre. The question is more whether a small city is to your liking or not. It is a sunning campus and a nice shopping centre but nowhere near the size of Bristol. It is an hour by train from Bristol. Have you thought of Cardiff. It is fairly similar to Bristol and 40 minutes away.
Warwick Uni is a bit odd in that its between Coventry and Kenilworth, and not in Warwick at all.
Modern campus Uni but a bit of an architectural mess.
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter isnt remote. It is a 15 minute walk from either campus to the city centre. The question is more whether a small city is to your liking or not. It is a sunning campus and a nice shopping centre but nowhere near the size of Bristol. It is an hour by train from Bristol. Have you thought of Cardiff. It is fairly similar to Bristol and 40 minutes away.

Arguably the city itself is remote relative to other major UK cities, but as you say the campus itself is pretty much in the city. When I was there I certainly never thought of it as being a wholly separate entity like I envisioned Warwick to be, for example...

What are these universities like? Does any have an positive and negatives about them or what the area is like and the types of people? Thank you!

What course are you applying to? What are your other options?
(edited 2 years ago)

Warwick & Bristol are probably generally seen as slightly stronger academically speaking (big generalization).

the biggest difference is the environment, Bristol is probably the most active city with a lot going on their. Warwick is in between Coventry & Leamington spa, its relatively quiet campus but commutable to Coventry & Birmingham for nights out. Exeter is pretty quiet as well with pretty small amount of nightlife.
Reply 9
Original post by Winona03
Been to Bristol many times (can't really comment on Warwick or Exeter apart from a friend started at Warwick this year and says everything is fine so far) and the city is SO nice and it's very diverse and has good night life. If you get a chance then go to each of the cities and feel the vibe out :smile:

Yess I was in Bristol a month ago and it was so lovely and somewhere I could see myself living in so I think i've decided yes on Bristol. I will definitely have to go visit the other two as well and get a feel but being early applicant I'll have to apply first and visit them next year haha.
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger
Warwick Uni is a bit odd in that its between Coventry and Kenilworth, and not in Warwick at all.
Modern campus Uni but a bit of an architectural mess.

Yeah I was surprised when I went on google maps and it wasn't even in Warwick.
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
Arguably the city itself is remote relative to other major UK cities, but as you say the campus itself is pretty much in the city. When I was there I certainly never thought of it as being a wholly separate entity like I envisioned Warwick to be, for example...

What course are you applying to? What are your other options?

I am applying for law at UCL, Oxford, Kent and Bristol I have now decided on. Just the middle one to go now.
I am applying for law at UCL, Oxford, Kent and Bristol I have now decided on. Just the middle one to go now.

Warwick isn't really as well known for law (better known for maths/business/economics), so I'd say go for Exeter if you think you'll like the environment as it's law department is one of their stronger ones.

That said Exeter has a very high offer rate and often makes lower offers than their published criteria, so if you're applying to Oxford and UCL and are competitive for them I think then you will almost certainly get an offer from Exeter.

Therefore I'd probably suggest having Exeter being your "backup" instead of Kent, and selecting another "aspirational" uni that is strong for law (e.g. KCL, LSE, Nottingham).
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah, I really like Bristol I have added it to my application. I'm just on that last part of choosing universities where I have picked my top two/three and my back-up, I've just got the middle to fill in now really. I was thinking Exeter but it just seems quite small and isolated whereas Bristol is much more connected to its city I think. I'll have to look into it but i'll probably just end up choosing Exeter anyways.

Been to all three places - none will be a bad option and would tell you to look at the league tables for your course rather than the uni itself if you really can't decide. What do you want to study? All great unis but some will have better departments for certain subjects than others. What are your top 2? Exeter has a couple of small clubs, good rail links to get home and new shopping area with shops my 17 year old liked. Its a small place compared with Bristol which is very lively and centrally located.
(edited 2 years ago)

If you have decided on Canterbury and Oxford the Exeter will be fine. Much bigger than Canterbury and not in many ways dissimilar to Oxford. It is a 15 minute walk to the train station then a 2 hour train ride to London.

Quick Reply