The Student Room Group

University of Sheffield A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

hi guys,
i'm really stuck on my 4th med choice and i have until thursday to decide. my school is being super extra. i got 2660 b2 in my ucat. i heard cut offs may go a bit lower this year but is sheffield wayyyy too risky?
Reply 81
Does anyone know if the graduate entry for Sheffield has a different UCAT cutoff?
Original post by aliyah.04x
hi guys,
i'm really stuck on my 4th med choice and i have until thursday to decide. my school is being super extra. i got 2660 b2 in my ucat. i heard cut offs may go a bit lower this year but is sheffield wayyyy too risky?

hey, I personally wouldn't risk it. you really want to make sure you can get as many interviews as possible. the cut off may go lower, but what if it goes up? we really can't predict it like that so I would use your 4th option for a safer uni.
Original post by pepsicola11
hey, I personally wouldn't risk it. you really want to make sure you can get as many interviews as possible. the cut off may go lower, but what if it goes up? we really can't predict it like that so I would use your 4th option for a safer uni.

do you think manchester is too risky? or do you have any other unis in mind?

what are your 3 current choices?
Original post by pepsicola11
what are your 3 current choices?

bart’s, st. george’s & kings (this is veryyyy aspirational but my teacher told me they look at applications holistically and to go for it because he said the rest of my application is good)
bart’s, st. george’s & kings (this is veryyyy aspirational but my teacher told me they look at applications holistically and to go for it because he said the rest of my application is good)

have you discussed your options with anyone on the 'which medical school' thread? I am a fellow applicant so I'm not as knowledgable as others may be on this topic. in my personal opinion, I think with your current choices I would not go for either Sheffield or Manchester. Keep this option super safe with a much lower cut off, just so you know you're guaranteed an interview. As someone who had two risky choices last year, I ended up having to reapply as I did not think to maximise my chances of interview.

ARU could be a good option.

Have a look at this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1032499&d=1633211030
Original post by potatoslices

quick question, if manchester’s cut off was 2640, why would it not be advised to apply with a score <2700?
Reply 89
quick question, if manchester’s cut off was 2640, why would it not be advised to apply with a score <2700?

Here is what I posted when somebody else asked this question:

Manchester had 325 more Home applicants last year than the year before. They have removed their top third UCAT interview pledge, so we can assume this means they wish to put cut offs up. Most other UCAT unis went up by 80-150 points last year (Sheffield to Glasgow), despite deciles not suggesting that much change.
There is GCSE grade inflation, meaning more will make Manchester's high 7 x 7 GCSE requirement
There are possibly places lost for all those deferrals from last year and maybe being saved for those "resitting" TAGs this autumn/next summer.
Med schools got in a bit mess with over-offering, so may well cut interview numbers to avoid being in the same situation again.
It has been declared that A level exams, if they go ahead, will continue grade inflation, although not at the level of last year - again, med schools likely to make fewer offers as more people than usual will make their grades, so may well interview fewer people to keep interview to offer ratios similar.
If you scored 2750-2850 this year, would you risk an application to Sheffield, Bristol, Newcastle, or Glasgow? Or would you look to Manchester, Southampton, SGUL, Liverpool instead?

On the other hand, they may go for the Liverpool approach, interview squillions and make a small percentage of them offers.
Plus there are quite a few less B1 & B2s around this year - will that mean Manchester relax their SJT requirements, or will it pull UCAT cut offs down?

Who knows the answer to all of this, but these are some of the things that have to be taken into account when thinking about cut offs.
Manchester have had a UCAT cut off 30-50 points lower than Sheffield, over recent years. Last year it was 100 points, and I think artificially held down by their top third UCAT pledge - which they have now removed. Sheffield cut off was 2740 last year - and that would suggest Manchester's would naturally be 2690-2710. And both may go up due to people put off applying to the typical UCAT Big Boys and Girls.

So cut off may well be 2670. But I would want a fair bit more than that, personally, to consider it a safe choice. But then, I am VERY risk averse and would look at all the safer options where I could be pretty sure of an interview. So depends on your aversion to risk and how much you like Manchester
Hi, I was wondering if I have a chance. I am a gap year student and can’t afford any rejections.

UCAT - 2850 B2
A levels - A* A* A
GCSES - 8888876653

I think my GCSES are weak, so I’m not sure whether its worth applying. Any help I would seriously appreciate. Sheffield is my number one and I would really love to go there.
Reply 91
Original post by AspiringBeauty
Hi, I was wondering if I have a chance. I am a gap year student and can’t afford any rejections.

UCAT - 2850 B2
A levels - A* A* A
GCSES - 8888876653

I think my GCSES are weak, so I’m not sure whether its worth applying. Any help I would seriously appreciate. Sheffield is my number one and I would really love to go there.

Sheffield cutoff was 2740 last year as long as you met minimum requirements
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/medicine-admissions#B
Reply 92
Is 2760 ucat too risky or is there a chance of interview?
Reply 93
Original post by KianE03

I think TCL has given you advice based on how risky Birmingham, Sheffield and KCL are with your stats on the megathread?
Original post by KianE03

Sheffield UCAT Cutoff.jpeg
Reply 95
I know Sheffield is one of the more ucat heavy unis but would I be relatively safe to apply with 2850 b1. I don't think the cut off would go that high, although you can never know. What do you guys reckon?
Original post by YRK01
I know Sheffield is one of the more ucat heavy unis but would I be relatively safe to apply with 2850 b1. I don't think the cut off would go that high, although you can never know. What do you guys reckon?

I think it's safe personally, but as you said, you never know.
Original post by YRK01

According to the table on the first post of the Which medical school megathread, your score would be "very safe". I have 2840 and I applied so hopefully it works out for both of us!
Original post by YRK01

There is a lot information on Sheffield's admission stats in the FOI site. UCAT cutoff for interview pretty stable except for increase to 2760 in 2021. Possible the average UCAT score for those interviewed could be close to 2900 in 2021 Interestingly, the minimum MMI scores for an offer averages 4 out of 5 per station which is very competitive as it means candidate can only drop one mark per station.

Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 7.00.14 AM.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PJboy2004
There is a lot information on Sheffield's admission stats in the FOI site. Average UCAT cutoff for interview pretty stable (with 2760 for 2021). Interestingly, the minimum MMI scores for an offer averages 4 out of 5 per station which is very competitive as it means candidate can only drop one mark per station.

Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 7.00.14 AM.png

the way their ucat score minimum is so misleading because people think thats the cut off score but in reality there is a higher score needed for interview stage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending