The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine Route

Scroll to see replies

I fully understand where you are coming from, and I 100% agree with the entrance exam scores will effectively be the main priority of getting into graduate entry medicine, but what I'm saying, let's say HYPOTHETICALLY, I got good results in GAMSAT and I had a degree in neuroscience there may be a uni that may be local to me, Say if I apply to the other unis and get rejected, that uni that only takes neuroscience, may accept me (by luck, not because of my degree) I'm keeping my options open, that is all.

I 100% agree with you on that your entrance exam scores will make or break your chance of getting into graduate entry medicine, but what I'm saying is HYPOTHETICALLY, if I was to chose neuroscience, the uni may be local to me or I may get rejected by all of them except the one that allows neuroscience ( BY LUCK AND NOT BY MY DEGREE ), im just giving myself all the options available, that is all.

I did a response early and it was detailed but I accidently deleted it, so I kinda summarised it here.
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly you'd be better off taking a gap year (or two) and taking A-levels or an Access to Medicine course (provided it's acceptable by the medical schools you want to apply to). It's statistically easier to get in to standard entry medicine than GEM, and even taking two years out to take A-levels would lead you to qualify as a doctor in the same time or faster than doing a degree - it would also be much cheaper (you do not receive full funding for medicine as a graduate).

GEM courses don't care about your degree subject outside of a tick box exercise, if applicable. Some require a bioscience course, if you have one you tick that box - they don't care whether you did plant sciences or biomedical sciences in that case. Some require a STEM degree in general - they won't care if you did physics or physiology then. Some have no specific degree requirements, in which case they won't care if you did comparative literature or underwater basket weaving. Doing X degree or Y degree won't increase your chances of getting an offer provided that the degree is accepted in the first place by the GEM course you're applying to.

Actually, if you don't have chemistry in your degree, you'd have to have it at Alevel. If not alevel then you'd have to sit the GAMSAT- you have to demonstrate some understanding of chemistry. If you do decide to go down the GEM route, I strongly suggest that you do a degree that contains some chemistry- but I strongly recommend as others have, to do your levels/resit. GEM places are very numbered, and most who are applying have years of NHS service and experience

Even if as a graduate you apply to standard medicine 1) its expensive 2) you will most of the time be considered with other graduates, which is extremely difficult.

OP:
I'm someone who didn't do well during alevels, but I could defiantly have resat and gotten my 3A/A*s. Problem was a lot of misinformation and a lack of support from my college. They deemed me unsuitable and did not encourage me in the way they should have. I don't regret doing biomedical sciences, and I really enjoyed my degree. If anything, it has just made me realise I love science more than anything, and if medicine doesn't work out, doing a phd and becoming a researcher is something that I could consider.

I am extremely lucky I feel like this, because alot of biomed graduates don't necessarily. As for with doing psychology- you need to think about your job prospects with this degree (I do feel it may be little oversubscribed). And if you do want to consider medicine after a degree, do make sure that there is enough chemistry in said degree. But not before you consider resitting your alevels. Even now I wish I did.
Original post by Chironn
Actually, if you don't have chemistry in your degree, you'd have to have it at Alevel. If not alevel then you'd have to sit the GAMSAT- you have to demonstrate some understanding of chemistry. If you do decide to go down the GEM route, I strongly suggest that you do a degree that contains some chemistry- but I strongly recommend as others have, to do your levels/resit.

Newcastle, Southampton, and Warwick GEM will accept any degree, don't require a chemistry A-level, and use UCAT rather than GAMSAT. It's still very competitive (last year people with UCAT scores over 3000 were getting rejected from Newcastle) but it's not true that chemistry is an absolute requirement everywhere.

OP, I'm struggling to follow your reasoning - you started off talking about applying to the DClinPsy, and now you're planning to do neuroscience in order to keep your options open? You won't be eligible to apply to the DClinPsy with a straight neuroscience degree (it will need to have a certain amount of psychology content and be BPS-accredited) and there is no GEM programme anywhere in the country that only accepts neuroscience as a first degree. Make sure you are taking your info from the organisations and universities concerned, not just from forum posts.
Original post by Incidentaloma
Newcastle, Southampton, and Warwick GEM will accept any degree, don't require a chemistry A-level, and use UCAT rather than GAMSAT. It's still very competitive (last year people with UCAT scores over 3000 were getting rejected from Newcastle) but it's not true that chemistry is an absolute requirement everywhere.

OP, I'm struggling to follow your reasoning - you started off talking about applying to the DClinPsy, and now you're planning to do neuroscience in order to keep your options open? You won't be eligible to apply to the DClinPsy with a straight neuroscience degree (it will need to have a certain amount of psychology content and be BPS-accredited) and there is no GEM programme anywhere in the country that only accepts neuroscience as a first degree. Make sure you are taking your info from the organisations and universities concerned, not just from forum posts.

Okay well thats 3/14 GEM medical school programs that don't require a BMAT,GAMSAT or Alevel chemistry or chemistry at degree level. But you have 4 Ucas options. Say OP opts for a 4th standard entry option- not a single one doesn't require chemistry at alevel or degree level or a gamsat
Reply 24
Original post by Chironn
Okay well thats 3/14 GEM medical school programs that don't require a BMAT,GAMSAT or Alevel chemistry or chemistry at degree level. But you have 4 Ucas options. Say OP opts for a 4th standard entry option- not a single one doesn't require chemistry at alevel or degree level or a gamsat

Newcastle? SGUL? KMMS? ARU? (latter 2 accept various health science degrees not eligible elsewhere, though not checked the specifics here)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending