The Student Room Group

*** many hours of independent study should I put in at uni?

Hi, I am a second year student and I would like to ask how many hours of independent study is sufficient for getting good knowledge per module?
There's not really a set amount, it depends on the modules and course you are doing. Probably best to ask third years in your course or your lectures for a rough idea of how many hours independent study it requires.
According to universities, students should spend about 2-3 hours studying for every hour they spend in their class. For example, if your training is two days a week for a period of three hours, you should study for that class 12-18 hours per week.
Original post by hemdinho
Hi, I am a second year student and I would like to ask how many hours of independent study is sufficient for getting good knowledge per module?

I usually did 1 hour per every hour in lecture seemed to work.
Hmm theres not a set amount of hours because everyone is different, some kid that soaks up information from the get go is going to have a much easier time then someone that has trouble retaining information that has to put 5x the amount of hours to reach his level.
I think the general consensus is if you feel confident in your knowledge and the grades reflect it.

If you can and have the determination, then studying a lot can only benefit you as long as you don't get burnt out.

Im doing art design for example and have classes 3 days of the week, yet apart from lazy Sunday, I put 8+ hours in my craft and im the best in the class, I do it simply because I have a passion for it and I have big goals in working in a well known studios...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CorporalJin
Hmm theres not a set amount of hours because everyone is different, some kid that soaks up information from the get go is going to have a much easier time then someone that has trouble retaining information that has to put 5x the amount of hours to reach his level.
I think the general consensus is if you feel confident in your knowledge and the grades reflect it.

If you can and have the determination, then studying a lot can only benefit you as long as you don't get burnt out.

Im doing art design for example and have classes 3 days of the week, yet apart from lazy Sunday, I put 8+ hours in my craft and im the best in the class, I do it simply because I have a passion for it and I have big goals in working in a well known studios...

Oh wow! Good on you! I do international relations and politics I'm in second year I have 6 classes per week.
Original post by ShubhamAgarwal
According to universities, students should spend about 2-3 hours studying for every hour they spend in their class. For example, if your training is two days a week for a period of three hours, you should study for that class 12-18 hours per week.

That really depends on the course - for instance in my first year I had 21 contact hours a week, which I'm quite sure they didn't want us pulling 60-80+ hour weeks so we were doing 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour in :tongue:
Oh wow! Good on you! I do international relations and politics I'm in second year I have 6 classes per week.

Nice, also it really depends on this question, obviously study on the parts you think need more work.
study smart, not hard. Meaning but aware of what you are studying and if its actually helping you to your goals.

Hi there!

This is obviously going to vary per individual and per course that is being studied. Realistically, you're going to be much more motivated some days vs other days, so you might put in a few hours one night and literally do no work another but it will likely even out just fine! Just make sure you know when your deadlines are, and make sure you're at least hitting appropriate milestones throughout your modules. I'd personally recommend an extra hour or two to match every hour you do in class/lectures, that you can dedicate to your studies, but again this is really going to vary depending on your mood on any particular day! I'd also recommend doing as much as you feel is possible, without burning yourself out! Good luck finding the right balance, we've all been there!!

All the best,
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student
Reply 9
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hi there!

This is obviously going to vary per individual and per course that is being studied. Realistically, you're going to be much more motivated some days vs other days, so you might put in a few hours one night and literally do no work another but it will likely even out just fine! Just make sure you know when your deadlines are, and make sure you're at least hitting appropriate milestones throughout your modules. I'd personally recommend an extra hour or two to match every hour you do in class/lectures, that you can dedicate to your studies, but again this is really going to vary depending on your mood on any particular day! I'd also recommend doing as much as you feel is possible, without burning yourself out! Good luck finding the right balance, we've all been there!!

All the best,
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student

thank you jess!
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
That really depends on the course - for instance in my first year I had 21 contact hours a week, which I'm quite sure they didn't want us pulling 60-80+ hour weeks so we were doing 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour in :tongue:

3 hours outside of class would be 60 hours outside plus 20 hours of contact time.
Original post by ShubhamAgarwal

That doesn’t work for all courses. For my course that would suggest I do 70-100+ hours of studying a week. Which is obviously unrealistic
Original post by 161BMW
3 hours outside of class would be 60 hours outside plus 20 hours of contact time.

That's what I was saying :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending