The Student Room Group

Help! I think I picked the wrong A levels

I started sixth for a mont ago with a levels: biology chemistry and maths as my parents told me it’s between maths and physics and I didn’t want to argue as I thought that I could get through maths like I did at gcse (I want to do medicine). I love biology and chemistry and looking at the medical schools, the only one that seems to want 3 sciences at a level is Cambridge. Now I really want to do french a level but the french teacher in my college left as no one was taking french. I hate maths I find it so boring. Any advice? (By the way I got a 9 in both maths and french at gcse but I really enjoyed french and found maths easy but wasn’t particularly interested in it)
(edited 2 years ago)
Well if French is off the cards what other subject could you swap to that you'll get a top grade in?

If you're not fussed about Cambridge (and to an extent, Oxford - though less picky, a vast majority of their applicants have three sciences) then pick something else you enjoy and will do well in. Psychology is always a popular choice for medics, but most other things would be fine.
Original post by Paralove
Well if French is off the cards what other subject could you swap to that you'll get a top grade in?

If you're not fussed about Cambridge (and to an extent, Oxford - though less picky, a vast majority of their applicants have three sciences) then pick something else you enjoy and will do well in. Psychology is always a popular choice for medics, but most other things would be fine.

Thank you so much for replying! To be honest I just want to get IN to a Med school so I’m not too fussed about oxbridge but my parents keep telling me that I’m ‘wasting my potential’ if I don’t aim to go there. I’m not really interested in the other subjects offered at my college but I feel I could get an A in maths but I really hate and I feel a bit trapped.
Reply 3
If you have an idea of what unis you want to go to, have a look at their requirements for A-levels. Most will be happy with 2x science plus one other. If you don't have an idea, and you think you'll do poorly in maths then look at changing. The sooner the better, because of catching up and there will likely be a limit as to how late through the course you can change. Ultimately if you don't know where you want to go at this point, then don't worry a huge amount because you'll be able to apply to the majority of med schools with 2 sci and 2 non-sci A-levels.
Reply 4
Original post by BelleBinoclarde
Thank you so much for replying! To be honest I just want to get IN to a Med school so I’m not too fussed about oxbridge but my parents keep telling me that I’m ‘wasting my potential’ if I don’t aim to go there. I’m not really interested in the other subjects offered at my college but I feel I could get an A in maths but I really hate and I feel a bit trapped.

Remember, none of your patients will care where you studied and it won't impact your job offers. GMC registration is GMC registration.
Original post by PAR2MED
If you have an idea of what unis you want to go to, have a look at their requirements for A-levels. Most will be happy with 2x science plus one other. If you don't have an idea, and you think you'll do poorly in maths then look at changing. The sooner the better, because of catching up and there will likely be a limit as to how late through the course you can change. Ultimately if you don't know where you want to go at this point, then don't worry a huge amount because you'll be able to apply to the majority of med schools with 2 sci and 2 non-sci A-levels.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll probably try to take a 4th to see how it is and drop one when I’ve decided.
Thank you so much for the input, I will check the thread for more advise. I didn't end up picking anything up in the end, but I've spoken to another french teacher and hopefully I'll start french a level after half term!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending