The Student Room Group

Iron rich food that are not disgusting

I hate dates, meat (except chicken), liver, beetroot, spinach, almonds, dark chocolate, lentils, dried fruits, broccoli, etc.. I basically hate everything rich in iron that I ever tried but my haemoglobin and iron level are very low and I have to eat something along with the medicine but I don't know what, so please recommend me some

Scroll to see replies

Beans- red kidney beans, edamame beans, baked beans, chickpeas etc
A lot of cereal is fortified with iron

These are the only ones I can think of aside from what you've already said
Expand your taste 😭

You could probably 'hide' some foods like broccoli within dishes, or make them a certain way that you like.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
I make berry smoothies and put a good handful of spinach in them.. you can't taste it imo so for me its the best way.
Original post by BBambiS
I make berry smoothies and put a good handful of spinach in them.. you can't taste it imo so for me its the best way.

Hi! I'm a veggie and I'm struggling a bit with nutrition so I want to get into smoothies a bit more. How do you make a berry smoothie? Is it just fruit in a blender? Also what blender/smoothie maker do you use?
Perhaps speak with your GP about possible iron supplements?

Apparently you can get cereals that have extra iron (and/or other vitamins and minerals) added to them which might be one solution.
Reply 6
Original post by summerbirdreads
I hate dates, meat (except chicken), liver, beetroot, spinach, almonds, dark chocolate, lentils, dried fruits, broccoli, etc.. I basically hate everything rich in iron that I ever tried but my haemoglobin and iron level are very low and I have to eat something along with the medicine but I don't know what, so please recommend me some

I used to be just as picky as yourself and thus my family was quite skeptical of me going vegan, but a lot of the time I just forced myself to eat foods I disliked and after a while they actually start to taste okay... I don’t know why but you just end up liking them.

Mushrooms for example - HATED them but slowly introduced them into my diet alongside other foods first, so I’d only put a mushroom in my mouth if accompanied by something else, and then you slowly build up to just eating it in isolation. As some other users have said you should mix stuff up and work your way up until you can eat it and enjoy it; you could chop up and put dried fruit in porridge or on your cereal and then move your way towards having it as an independent snack or something, for example.

Certain foods that you dislike generally just begin to appeal to you the more you eat them, I find (except tomatoes, they will forever be an enemy of mine).
Original post by flamingolover
Beans- red kidney beans, edamame beans, baked beans, chickpeas etc
A lot of cereal is fortified with iron

These are the only ones I can think of aside from what you've already said

I hate beans too (don't come at me) but I'll try the cereal
Original post by ashtolga23
Expand your taste 😭

You could probably 'hide' some foods like broccoli within dishes, or make them a certain way that you like.

I'll try that but broccoli is not that rich iron apparently
Reply 9
Original post by flamingolover
Hi! I'm a veggie and I'm struggling a bit with nutrition so I want to get into smoothies a bit more. How do you make a berry smoothie? Is it just fruit in a blender? Also what blender/smoothie maker do you use?

Some tips from another relatively inexperience veggie/vegan:
1. Always freeze at least maybe a 1/3 of what you put in - if I’m using a banana it will always be frozen beforehand, and I normally also freeze some of the berries I put in too. How much you freeze does have an impact on the consistency of your smoothie, so experiment with how icy you want it to be.
2. You need a base. By that I mean something that makes up the majority of your smoothie; normally people use bananas, but you can use avocados too... you could probably make a base of berries but it’s normally better to use a quite ‘substantial’ fruit.
3. It’s not just fruit in a blender - you need liquid. This could be anything from fruit juice to a milk of some kind or water (although it’d probably taste a bit crap). You can also mix and match liquids.
4. Experiment with how much liquid you like. Do you want a smoothie to be something you could eat with a spoon, or something you could drink with a straw, or something in between? The iciness plays a factor in this, but the liquid is probably the determining factor. Normally what I do is put about 125-50 ml in a smoothie (varies obviously but this is normally for an average sized bowl), blend, and see if I’d like it to be any more liquidated.
5. Stir as you blend. Blend for an interval, then stop and move the unblended stuff closer to the blades. Repeat that until it’s all ~blended~.
6. Put veggies in! It sounds counterintuitive for a berry or fruit smoothie, but I pretty much always put some pre-grated carrot in my smoothies as it just gives it a really nice flavour, and I always sneak some spinach in (you can never taste it if you don’t like it).
7. Put other stuff in! I often season it with ginger or cinnamon, and normally I will toast some oats and put them in after I’ve stopped blending, just for some added texture.
8. Talking of texture, keep that in mind when blending. You can leave some of the stuff unblended or you can go full smooth. If you want full smooth it helps if you cut stuff up quite small before blending.

I don’t have a definitive recipe, but here is what I would do for a berry smoothie:
1 banana (frozen)
A *big* handful of raspberries (frozen)
A *big* handful of strawberries (maybe frozen - probably half frozen half not frozen)
—Those are the only berries I personally use but you could throw blueberries or blackberries in for sure—
1 /2 or maybe 1 grated carrot (not frozen)
A small handful of spinach
125-50ml oat milk and maybe a splash of water
I’ve never actually used fruit juice for a smoothie solely because I don’t like it but I’m sure it’d be nice, probably not too much though as you don’t want it to overpower the other fruit
A good sprinkle of toasted oats on top and maybe some non-blended fruit (you can also get some really nice ground nut mixes that give it a nice texture and flavour along with a healthy source of fat and general brilliant nutrition. This being said they’re normally quite pricy and you can get a pack of nuts for cheaper and chop them up yourself.)

I am REALLY not the person to advise you on this so please go and Ecosia some proper recipes and advice, but I do hope this helps!
Original post by BBambiS

That sounds like a brilliant idea! I love berry smoothie lol
Original post by artful_lounger
Perhaps speak with your GP about possible iron supplements?

Apparently you can get cereals that have extra iron (and/or other vitamins and minerals) added to them which might be one solution.

My GP told me to eat everything I hate lol but the thing is I almost always throw up when I eat those food

Try to eat sesame seeds, two tablespoons every day.
Original post by elmason
I used to be just as picky as yourself and thus my family was quite skeptical of me going vegan, but a lot of the time I just forced myself to eat foods I disliked and after a while they actually start to taste okay... I don’t know why but you just end up liking them.

Mushrooms for example - HATED them but slowly introduced them into my diet alongside other foods first, so I’d only put a mushroom in my mouth if accompanied by something else, and then you slowly build up to just eating it in isolation. As some other users have said you should mix stuff up and work your way up until you can eat it and enjoy it; you could chop up and put dried fruit in porridge or on your cereal and then move your way towards having it as an independent snack or something, for example.

Certain foods that you dislike generally just begin to appeal to you the more you eat them, I find (except tomatoes, they will forever be an enemy of mine).

The thing is when I tried to do this I threw up like crazy, I can't tolerate most of those food especially things like dates, beetroot and meat but the rest maybe I can manage
Original post by Prolongue
Try to eat sesame seeds, two tablespoons every day.

I'll try that

I'm guessing that Marmite is out of the question? A 5g portion contains 15% of your daily iron needs.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm guessing that Marmite is out of the question? A 5g portion contains 15% of your daily iron needs.

Yes that thing is out of question
Original post by elmason
Some tips from another relatively inexperience veggie/vegan:
1. Always freeze at least maybe a 1/3 of what you put in - if I’m using a banana it will always be frozen beforehand, and I normally also freeze some of the berries I put in too. How much you freeze does have an impact on the consistency of your smoothie, so experiment with how icy you want it to be.
2. You need a base. By that I mean something that makes up the majority of your smoothie; normally people use bananas, but you can use avocados too... you could probably make a base of berries but it’s normally better to use a quite ‘substantial’ fruit.
3. It’s not just fruit in a blender - you need liquid. This could be anything from fruit juice to a milk of some kind or water (although it’d probably taste a bit crap). You can also mix and match liquids.
4. Experiment with how much liquid you like. Do you want a smoothie to be something you could eat with a spoon, or something you could drink with a straw, or something in between? The iciness plays a factor in this, but the liquid is probably the determining factor. Normally what I do is put about 125-50 ml in a smoothie (varies obviously but this is normally for an average sized bowl), blend, and see if I’d like it to be any more liquidated.
5. Stir as you blend. Blend for an interval, then stop and move the unblended stuff closer to the blades. Repeat that until it’s all ~blended~.
6. Put veggies in! It sounds counterintuitive for a berry or fruit smoothie, but I pretty much always put some pre-grated carrot in my smoothies as it just gives it a really nice flavour, and I always sneak some spinach in (you can never taste it if you don’t like it).
7. Put other stuff in! I often season it with ginger or cinnamon, and normally I will toast some oats and put them in after I’ve stopped blending, just for some added texture.
8. Talking of texture, keep that in mind when blending. You can leave some of the stuff unblended or you can go full smooth. If you want full smooth it helps if you cut stuff up quite small before blending.

I don’t have a definitive recipe, but here is what I would do for a berry smoothie:
1 banana (frozen)
A *big* handful of raspberries (frozen)
A *big* handful of strawberries (maybe frozen - probably half frozen half not frozen)
—Those are the only berries I personally use but you could throw blueberries or blackberries in for sure—
1 /2 or maybe 1 grated carrot (not frozen)
A small handful of spinach
125-50ml oat milk and maybe a splash of water
I’ve never actually used fruit juice for a smoothie solely because I don’t like it but I’m sure it’d be nice, probably not too much though as you don’t want it to overpower the other fruit
A good sprinkle of toasted oats on top and maybe some non-blended fruit (you can also get some really nice ground nut mixes that give it a nice texture and flavour along with a healthy source of fat and general brilliant nutrition. This being said they’re normally quite pricy and you can get a pack of nuts for cheaper and chop them up yourself.)

I am REALLY not the person to advise you on this so please go and Ecosia some proper recipes and advice, but I do hope this helps!

That's some amazing advice!! I'll definitely refer to this
Mild steel?
Original post by Rufus The Red
Mild steel?

They don't work

Quick Reply

Latest