The Student Room Group

pharmacy or management consulting

I am stuck on whether to pursue a career as a pharmacist or management consulting. I am in yr 2 of my pharmacy degree and have been offered a grad job at a top big 4 firm but I don't know whether to take this job and pursue a career consulting for pharmaceutical clients etc or just become a pharmacist. The most important aspect is the salary to me, both roles look interesting but the deciding factor for me would be the one that's better paid. Does anyone have any info on this?
Original post by winnerwinner0404
I am stuck on whether to pursue a career as a pharmacist or management consulting. I am in yr 2 of my pharmacy degree and have been offered a grad job at a top big 4 firm but I don't know whether to take this job and pursue a career consulting for pharmaceutical clients etc or just become a pharmacist. The most important aspect is the salary to me, both roles look interesting but the deciding factor for me would be the one that's better paid. Does anyone have any info on this?

Which job are you going to be really, really good at? The long-term money will depend on your skill.
Original post by threeportdrift
Which job are you going to be really, really good at? The long-term money will depend on your skill.

I'm interested in both but i don't know which one I'd be better at, like hospital pharmacy is really interesting to me,moreso than community but consulting is also interesting being able to liaise and analyse information with clients
I'm interested in both but i don't know which one I'd be better at, like hospital pharmacy is really interesting to me,moreso than community but consulting is also interesting being able to liaise and analyse information with clients

Then which will earn you more isn't a useful decision making aspect. You make more money as you advance a career, you will advance in the career you are better at doing.

So you need to make a more detailed analysis of your skills. Being able to liaise and analyse information is hardly a whole job, nor is it entirely absent from pharmacy. You need to consider a much more specific range of aspects of each role - especially as they are quite different.

within hospital pharmacy there are different routes you can go down (don't really know about community) such as becoming a pharmacy independent prescriber, or going more into something like medicines governance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending