The Student Room Group

Advice please - Medicine

Hi guys,

I’m currently in Year 12 and I’m getting really stressed because people keep telling me I will not get into medicine with my A-level subjects. For A-levels, I’m doing Biology, Chemistry, Theology and Economic as well as an EPQ which I will do on Medical ethics. I haven’t taken Maths, Further Maths or Physics and that’s why people are saying this. For GCSE’s I received 10 9s. Would you say that because I’m not doing Maths, it’s impossible to get into Medicine and would you say having Oxbridge aspirations is unrealistic? Thanks so much!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mentor05
Hi guys,

I’m currently in Year 12 and I’m getting really stressed because people keep telling me I will not get into medicine with my A-level subjects. For A-levels, I’m doing Biology, Chemistry, Theology and Economic as well as an EPQ which I will do on Medical ethics. I haven’t taken Maths, Further Maths or Physics and that’s why people are saying this. For GCSE’s I received 10 9s. Would you say that because I’m not doing Maths, it’s impossible to get into Medicine and would you say having Oxbridge aspirations is unrealistic? Thanks so much!

You'll be fine everywhere except Cambridge, I believe.

For confirmation... @GANFYD or
Original post by ageshallnot

For confirmation... @GANFYD or @ecolier

Yeah Cambridge is the only medical school that requires biology and chemistry +maths/physics. I've actually never heard of theology A-level tho. A good UCAT/BMAT score is more important. The good news for OP is that Oxford is quite GCSE heavy but bad news is they have less places than Cambridge.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot

For confirmation... @GANFYD or @ecolier

Thanks so much!
Reply 4
Original post by hungrysalamander
Yeah Cambridge is the only medical school that requires biology and chemistry +maths/physics. I've actually never heard of theology A-level tho. A good UCAT/BMAT score is more important. The good news for OP is that Oxford is quite GCSE heavy but bad news is they have less places than Cambridge.

Theology is religious studies. I took it because I'm quite interested in it. Do you think doing theology and economics could make me look unsure of Medicine? I'm committed but enjoy these subjects too. Thanks so much!
Reply 5
Do you think doing theology and economics could make me look unsure of Medicine? I'm committed but enjoy these subjects too. Thanks so much!
Thanks so much!

Remembrt all medicine degrees are equivalent - Oxbridge is irrelevant.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Remembrt all medicine degrees are equivalent - Oxbridge is irrelevant.

You're completely right there. I would be so happy to get an offer from one of my chosen unis!
Theology is religious studies. I took it because I'm quite interested in it. Do you think doing theology and economics could make me look unsure of Medicine? I'm committed but enjoy these subjects too. Thanks so much!

As I said, your subject combination is fine for every medical school apart from Cambridge. Other medical schools won't discriminate against doing a non-science A-level and BSMS likes applicants with non-science 3rd subjects (no exact stats on that but that's what they say on their website). 4 subjects+EPQ is a lot of work idk how you can balance that. Drop either theology or economics if it becomes too much to handle as doing 4 A-levels does not give you any advantage apart from maybe QMUL but AAA looks better than AABB for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending