The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Maths Autumn Resits 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Denesha25
How did u do the 7 marker on binomials i want tl know if i did it right or flopped

I took the partial fraction and then flipped the denominators so they had negative indicies, did the expansion, multiplied each by whatever the numbers were (keeping in mind one of them had to be put into the form (1+bx) as well) and then added them together
Original post by velaris08
How did you guys do the ln(x) ^2 question and the one where you had to find the equation of the graph? They really threw me

I think that graph one in hind sight was quite easy, I assume you mean the quadratic one? Just use (B-
x)^2 - A = 0 then they gave you a x and Y value I also missed that one out, and the integration use by parts. Time pressure was the thing for me.
How did you guys do the ln(x) ^2 question and the one where you had to find the equation of the graph? They really threw me

Really kicking myself I think you had to integrate it first? I cant actually remember the question :O but you were supposed to do substitution which would be u = lnx but since you still get another parameter x, you can rearrange u = lnx to x = e^u then you do integration by parts! Obviously I didn’t do this in the exam but I’m proper kicking myself about it because I didn’t even attempt the question but I knew how to do it when time was running out :frown:

I left it out 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Reply 44
Original post by cloudniineee
Really kicking myself I think you had to integrate it first? I cant actually remember the question :O but you were supposed to do substitution which would be u = lnx but since you still get another parameter x, you can rearrange u = lnx to x = e^u then you do integration by parts! Obviously I didn’t do this in the exam but I’m proper kicking myself about it because I didn’t even attempt the question but I knew how to do it when time was running out :frown:

Literally so many qs were easy in hindsight when I'm not worried about time
Reply 45
Original post by Digigames
I think that graph one in hind sight was quite easy, I assume you mean the quadratic one? Just use (B-
x)^2 - A = 0 then they gave you a x and Y value I also missed that one out, and the integration use by parts. Time pressure was the thing for me.

Hmm that's what I did but somehow got an outrageous equation

I accidentally interpreted the lnx question wrong and just did lnx^2 but you could do it easily through integration by parts by making u= (lnx)^2 and use chain rule and then v' as 1. The equation fo the graph question really threw me too as I've done loads of quadratic questions but we were only really given maximum y value of the graph and the c intercept and I had no idea how to do it. I hope I get a mark for recognising the intercept was 3 though hahaha

I feel this! AS soon as I left the exam room I literally thought of all the little marks I lost because of timing which I knew for a fact I could have done if I wasn't so worried about time
Since paper 1 was quite challenging for most people do you guys reckon paper 2 will be more straightforward?
Hmm that's what I did but somehow got an outrageous equation

I didn’t even think of doing it rip I kept trying to put an A infront of the equation
Original post by Angelj16
Since paper 1 was quite challenging for most people do you guys reckon paper 2 will be more straightforward?

I am begging for this to be the case, I really need this A :frown:(( I’m actually more worried for the stats and mech tbh
Literally so many qs were easy in hindsight when I'm not worried about time

Yeah totally! I can understand and do so many questions well if time wasn’t such a big issue
Reply 52
I am begging for this to be the case, I really need this A :frown:(( I’m actually more worried for the stats and mech tbh

same!! i literally need this A/A*
How is everyone progressing in terms of revision for stats and mech :frown::frown::frown:
yeet
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Angelj16

Honestly I don't think so. I thought the paper was actually quite nice and felt the same way about paper 1 for 2020. Paper 2 was more applicationy I found so was harder (though again on reflection, actually not).
Reply 56
Original post by Denesha25
How is everyone progressing in terms of revision for stats and mech :frown::frown::frown:

Haven't even touched y2 mechs for revision yet omg. Literally writing my PS at the same time too.
Haven't even touched y2 mechs for revision yet omg. Literally writing my PS at the same time too.

Haven’t started yet either, quite worry about it tbh.
Reply 58
How is everyone doing on revision? I'm honestly putting off pure 2 revision by doing stats and mech instead... just not sure how to approach it....
How is everyone doing on revision? I'm honestly putting off pure 2 revision by doing stats and mech instead... just not sure how to approach it....

me too am doing this gonna brush up on pure the night before since I am fairly confident rn for pure

Quick Reply

Latest