The Student Room Group

biomed with placement year at manchester uni

hi,

i'm considering doing a 4-year degree in biomed at manchester however the course is not IBMS accredited. on the website, they state you can partake in the NHS scientist training programme after you graduate which is also paid. i've heard that the career prospects for biomed aren't as good as medicine, however i really do not want to work as a doctor and would rather do lab work in the NHS instead. apparently a few medicine rejects take biomed too so i'm quite unsure of how competitive it will be.
i'm dead set on doing this degree and i really am passionate about it but i don't know how fruitful it will be in the end. if anyone could give me some advice i'd really appreciate it :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
(Original post by Chalee97)
if working as a biomedical scientist legist your dream, go do ibms accredited course with a year placement. because by the time you graduated, your portfolio is completed (im not sure can you go register hcpc or not). for non ibms accredited biomedical sciences degree, the max you can do in nhs lab is band 4 assistant. and hcpc registered biomedical scientist has good pay (you can refer job searching website for reference)

what I know is: (IBMS ACCREDITED)
1. ibms accredited biomedical science then
2. build portfolio for hcpc registration (this mean working as a trainee biomedical scientist, I know its 2 years, but correct me if im wrong)
3. hcpc registration then you are biomedical scientist

(IBMS NON-ACCREDITED)
1. email IBMS (you need to pay the fee) for assessment
2. IBMS will suggest you to top up modules
3. IBMS check again if your degree fulfilled the requirements
4. now your degree is accredited
5. build portfolio for hcpc registration (this mean working as a trainee biomedical scientist, I know its 2 years, but correct me if im wrong)
6. hcpc registration then you are biomedical scientist

even if you do a ibms accredited master degree later, dream it can cover your non accredited degree, it doesn't work. so, worth to just do a ibms accredited biomedical sciences degree + placement year , faster.

I did ibms non accredited biomedical science degree from Newcastle uni, graduate 2021. (I am not regret because I didn't want to be biomedical scientist/ didn't know I want to work in lab at that time and I am still not sure what's next, so, its still acceptable for me) I don't mind working in lab, and im a lab tech now.
(edited 2 years ago)
The STP is a post-graduate program to become a Clinical Scientist.

You want the PTP, look for BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science).
Reply 3
Original post by RegisteredBMS
The STP is a post-graduate program to become a Clinical Scientist.

You want the PTP, look for BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science).

how does working as a clinical scientist differ from working as a biomedical scientist? could i do a degree in biomed and then do the STP to work as a clinical scientist instead?
Reply 4
Original post by cleetus58
how does working as a clinical scientist differ from working as a biomedical scientist? could i do a degree in biomed and then do the STP to work as a clinical scientist instead?

As far as I know
you need a master degree for clinical scientist
but the baby step is ibms accredited degree then biomedical scientist
correct me if I’m wrong as I just graduated two months ago, just collected these info tbh
Original post by Chalee97
As far as I know
you need a master degree for clinical scientist
but the baby step is ibms accredited degree then biomedical scientist
correct me if I’m wrong as I just graduated two months ago, just collected these info tbh

Nope.

Original post by cleetus58

Clinical Scientist's are more of an inbetween of labs and clinical. Not all disciplines require them. The STP requires a 2:1 in any Life Science UG degree.
Original post by Chalee97
(Original post by Chalee97)
if working as a biomedical scientist legist your dream, go do ibms accredited course with a year placement. because by the time you graduated, your portfolio is completed (im not sure can you go register hcpc or not). for non ibms accredited biomedical sciences degree, the max you can do in nhs lab is band 4 assistant. and hcpc registered biomedical scientist has good pay (you can refer job searching website for reference)

what I know is: (IBMS ACCREDITED)
1. ibms accredited biomedical science then
2. build portfolio for hcpc registration (this mean working as a trainee biomedical scientist, I know its 2 years, but correct me if im wrong)
3. hcpc registration then you are biomedical scientist

(IBMS NON-ACCREDITED)
1. email IBMS (you need to pay the fee) for assessment
2. IBMS will suggest you to top up modules
3. IBMS check again if your degree fulfilled the requirements
4. now your degree is accredited
5. build portfolio for hcpc registration (this mean working as a trainee biomedical scientist, I know its 2 years, but correct me if im wrong)
6. hcpc registration then you are biomedical scientist

even if you do a ibms accredited master degree later, dream it can cover your non accredited degree, it doesn't work. so, worth to just do a ibms accredited biomedical sciences degree + placement year , faster.

I did ibms non accredited biomedical science degree from Newcastle uni, graduate 2021. (I am not regret because I didn't want to be biomedical scientist/ didn't know I want to work in lab at that time and I am still not sure what's next, so, its still acceptable for me) I don't mind working in lab, and im a lab tech now.

I am right now thinking of Lancaster uni because they offer accredited course however as far as i know, the placement year is not integrated (correct me if i'm wrong). But they do state that placement is eligible if to apply while on the course. Without that placement year ,is it okay if i want to work as a biomed scientist after grad?
Original post by jiji_jangg
I am right now thinking of Lancaster uni because they offer accredited course however as far as i know, the placement year is not integrated (correct me if i'm wrong). But they do state that placement is eligible if to apply while on the course. Without that placement year ,is it okay if i want to work as a biomed scientist after grad?

Placement year is only likely to offer, at best, extremely limited opportunities for a NHS placement, and therefore extremely competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending