The Student Room Group

Tory MP wants people that use terms like "white privilege" to be referred to PREVENT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starship Trooper
So they literally said "gay people are evil" ?

It was sinners
Reply 41
Original post by looloo2134
I have had a further education biology teacher trying to teach a classroom of sensible adults that human evolution never happen and gay people were evil.

That is one teacher and they are breaking the terms of their employment and should be reported.

But back to the question - how is the education system left leaning? BTW - we teach equality and equity, that racism and sexism are bad because firstly it is on the national curriculum and secondly it is protected under the Equalities Act of UK law.
Original post by hotpud
But back to the question - how is the education system left leaning? BTW - we teach equality and equity, that racism and sexism are bad because firstly it is on the national curriculum and secondly it is protected under the Equalities Act of UK law.

Uh yeah it's literally a legal requirement that teachers promote left wing ideology. That's my point exactly.
Reply 43
Uh yeah it's literally a legal requirement that teachers promote left wing ideology. That's my point exactly.

As opposed to right wing ideology which is about being racist and sexist? Really???
Original post by hotpud
As opposed to right wing ideology which is about being racist and sexist? Really???

It's not about right wingers being "sexist and racist", it's about those ideas being left wing concepts being weaponised to attack the right.

Being against immigration or supporting positive discrimination can both be seen as racist for example.

It's largely subjective: it's like me saying that left wing ideology is evil and treasonous.
Reply 45
And so it goes on, is it too much to ask people keep politics, of all descriptions, out of the classroom (bar the politics course that is)? Theyre there to learn not be radicalised and indoctrinated by whichever flavor of prat the teacher is.
Well said.

Like the OP, I also dislike that epithet "white privilege"; but the notion of "lists" - esp. in the hands of state officials and officers - is extremely ominous. What on earth are they going to do? Send them to a re-education camp? Short of terrorist suspects, I see no reasons for lists either.

What makes us different is that we stand apart from the cancel/calling out/silencing culture. We stand for the open society.
Original post by hotpud
That is one teacher and they are breaking the terms of their employment and should be reported.

I hope in social studies that the students are educated about Kriss Donald murder. Not the detail ofcourse but lack of media attention compared to other child murder by strangers or racist murders.

You'll find notions like don't be racist or don't be sexist are shared across the British political spectrum. Which is why the Conservative Party regards them as fundamental British values and requires teachers to promote them.

I appreciate this may be uncomfortable for weak reactionaries who feel threatened by the presence of black people walking down the street or women in positions of power, but they are just going to toughen up and to learn to live with it.
Original post by xxKittyxx
You'll find notions like don't be racist or don't be sexist are shared across the British political spectrum. Which is why the Conservative Party regards them as fundamental British values and requires teachers to promote them.

I appreciate this may be uncomfortable for weak reactionaries who feel threatened by the presence of black people walking down the street or women in positions of power, but they are just going to toughen up and to learn to live with it.

It interesting that the conservatives are the only major parties that a part roma working class non university educated man as leader John Major working class university educated leader Thatcher.

None of the other has had a working class leaders that have become prime minister.
Original post by xxKittyxx

Yes many people allegedly on the right have fallen to left wing narratives about "equality".

Lol nope. See post #51. I'd love to see say Kemi Badenoch and Candace Owens in power. Of course the left would be against this because they must be "racist" or/and "sexist" right? It's all so tiresome and fake.
Lots of reasons. For one if she wants to be PM in future she may have to rely on these people in her own party, she may have been told not to by Boris etc. You also have cabinet responsibility etc

We already know that the civil service tried to take her out with "bullying" accusations etc.

So climbing the greasy pole is more important than the country...
Reply 52
Original post by Napp
And so it goes on, is it too much to ask people keep politics, of all descriptions, out of the classroom (bar the politics course that is)? Theyre there to learn not be radicalised and indoctrinated by whichever flavor of prat the teacher is.

The problem is that eveything, almost by nature, is political.

What people often mean is that they want schools to enforce their own poltics.
Original post by HansLuben
So climbing the greasy pole is more important than the country...

There is such a thing as selling out/ grifting but there's also such a thing as pragmatism.

In order to achieve things in a large political party you have to compromise if you want to have any hope of power unless you have a directly elected position like Trump or are able to Squeeze into a leadership election like corbyn- but even then you have to be somewhat pragmatic.

Original post by DSilva

True.

We I my had the illusion of objectivity because we had a homogeneous white Christian society. Now thanks to multiculturalism and Liberalism the illusion is well and truly over.

Lastly there is no objective reason why the government shouldn't leave you alone no matter how sympathetic that might be.
There is such a thing as selling out/ grifting but there's also such a thing as pragmatism.

In order to achieve things in a large political party you have to compromise if you want to have any hope of power unless you have a directly elected position like Trump or are able to Squeeze into a leadership election like corbyn- but even then you have to be somewhat pragmatic.

It sounds a lot like spinelessness disguised as pragmatism.
I'm yet to be convinced much by Patel. Badenoch does seem to be more genuine in her anti woke bent, which is refreshing.
Reply 56
Original post by looloo2134
I hope in social studies that the students are educated about Kriss Donald murder. Not the detail ofcourse but lack of media attention compared to other child murder by strangers or racist murders.

No. It isn't taught. But neither are any other specific murders e.g. Stephen Lawrence and the catalogue of failings from the Metropolitan police. We teach the concepts and ideas of equality and inclusion on a much broader sense - the idea that you can be who you like and that judging others who are perceived to be different is not acceptable.

To use that murder as an example would simply feed young impressionable minds with a false sense of injustice. It doesn't help anything.
Reply 57
Original post by DSilva

Thats true but at the same time you dont eo ipso have to put a political spin on teaching..
Be it changing all the names in maths to those of minorities, for some reason, or, more to the point, turning history and related subjects into political football matches. Take teaching the history of the empire, teachers lecturing students on the evil of it (as opposed to treating it with the nuance it deserves) is rather beyond the pale. The less said about those teaching CRT and related non-subjects the better. I recently read a rather appalling 'academic paper' noting that all whites, by dint of simply being white, are racist whether they like it or not and no matter what they do. Would you really want your children being taught such nonsense? Ironically, by racists.
Original post by Napp
Thats true but at the same time you dont eo ipso have to put a political spin on teaching..
Be it changing all the names in maths to those of minorities, for some reason, or, more to the point, turning history and related subjects into political football matches. Take teaching the history of the empire, teachers lecturing students on the evil of it (as opposed to treating it with the nuance it deserves) is rather beyond the pale. The less said about those teaching CRT and related non-subjects the better. I recently read a rather appalling 'academic paper' noting that all whites, by dint of simply being white, are racist whether they like it or not and no matter what they do. Would you really want your children being taught such nonsense? Ironically, by racists.

I agree with everything you've said.

But to play devils advocate for a minute, do you accept it's easier for white people to be "nuanced" about things such as the Empire or the founding fathers owning slaves than it is for black Africans or other groups?

I do find it amusing when conservatives act shocked and appalled that immigrants don't like their heroes like Churchill etc and often despise them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending