The Student Room Group

Why does slim look better?

from a female point of view, I find a lot of my want to be skinny is from seeing models. From what I understand, often a fashion brand may want to show ultra slim models because its easier to make the clothes- less fabric and is more likely to fit is everyone has more or less the same small frame. Of course this could just be an excuse and its still about them following the western perception of beauty.

Scroll to see replies

I mean in prehistoric times larger was better because it meant they wee more likely to survive etc
Nowadays perceptions have changed but I wouldn't say aesthetically or even generally that it is a linear relationship necessarily, that the thinner, the better a person is
Original post by SomeHuman58
from a female point of view, I find a lot of my want to be skinny is from seeing models. From what I understand, often a fashion brand may want to show ultra slim models because its easier to make the clothes- less fabric and is more likely to fit is everyone has more or less the same small frame. Of course this could just be an excuse and its still about them following the western perception of beauty.

it probably is about following the western perception of beauty...but some people also have health issues which essentially forces them to be skinny.

a lot of models that are skinny are pressured into being that way and have to really work for it. Don’t let it get u down, and don’t make urself change to please other ppl if it’s not what u want! If u want to look skinnier, do it for urself, and to make urself happier, not anyone else. Appreciate urself and ur body cus all bodies are beautiful.

Also beauty standards have changed constantly throughout time so skinny wasn’t always seen as the best kind of body anyway. For example, Marilyn Monroe was an absolutely iconic model and star because she was charming and an amazing woman as well as being beautiful. Just shows that a great personality makes u equally as beautiful as a great body could. Tho now because the standards have changed, some people would see her as fat compared to other current models. Comparing urself to other people is harmful, you are beautiful anyway even if u just don’t see it yet.

If it’s cus of seeing skinny models all the time, maybe start seeking out models and people that u are genuinely interested in and make u feel good, instead of just the popular ones. The fashion and beauty industry is toxic and doesn’t take into account that people have normal bodies, people have all different body types.

I hope that helps and makes sense lol, pls don’t be so hard on urself <3
Original post by PrettymuchGod
slim thick is best

but I think it's quite rare (compared to other body types) or difficult to achieve.
Often it is a matter of personal beauty standards, individual ambitions and lifestyle preferences.
Sometimes personal attitudes about the visibly overweight, widespread media depictions and societal attitudes about health or size also come into it.
Original post by WazzWazz98
I mean in prehistoric times larger was better because it meant they wee more likely to survive etc
Nowadays perceptions have changed but I wouldn't say aesthetically or even generally that it is a linear relationship necessarily, that the thinner, the better a person is

I think it is linear, but only up to a point. Eventually people end up too thin that it is displeasing to look at.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by WazzWazz98

Depends how large we're talking. I doubt 200kg would have qualified.

The problems we had back then, compared to today, are opposites of each other.

Back then, finding food was the challenge. Today, restraining yourself from binge eating is often the challenge instead.

There's obviously cultural influences, and those change with time.

What doesn't change, is what is generally a 'healthy' weight. Don't compare yourself to fashion models... it's stupid. Half of them probably have eating disorders. That's not a good thing.
I'm slim but i would LOVE to gain weight. However i have seen many slim girls who look amazing especially in dresses and heels, and although i have that body type, i just don't feel very beautiful. It's all perception i guess
Original post by future_11
I'm slim but i would LOVE to gain weight. However i have seen many slim girls who look amazing especially in dresses and heels, and although i have that body type, i just don't feel very beautiful. It's all perception i guess

I’m skinny too and used to hate my body for it so much, I didn’t like being skinny, pale or flat but recently I’ve embraced it. I like my body so much more now except for my legs but other than that I’m much more comfortable with it. I do wanna gain weight though, I’ve been trying for years 😩
Original post by fellowweebhere
I’m skinny too and used to hate my body for it so much, I didn’t like being skinny, pale or flat but recently I’ve embraced it. I like my body so much more now except for my legs but other than that I’m much more comfortable with it. I do wanna gain weight though, I’ve been trying for years 😩

Yeah i still feel self-conscious about my legs wearing dresses/shorts which is mainly why i want to gain weight but at the same time i also don't want to lose my flat tummy LOL. So in conclusion people will never be truly happy with how they look lol so f*ck it :smile:
Original post by fellowweebhere

Literally same. I'm very underweight for my age and my doctor has done nothing to help other than giving me prescription vitamins and supplements which DON'T help! I don't think I particularly want to gain weight but at the same time, skinny is good till a certain point, and then it just gets unflattering.
Original post by future_11
Yeah i still feel self-conscious about my legs wearing dresses/shorts which is mainly why i want to gain weight but at the same time i also don't want to lose my flat tummy LOL. So in conclusion people will never be truly happy with how they look lol so f*ck it :smile:

Wait same though, I really wanted to lose weight but then I was worried about my stomach. And when I eventually gained some throughout years it grew on my belly not my legs :/ I haven’t worn shorts or skirts in years
Reply 14
Original post by PrettymuchGod
slim thick is best

depends on ur preference broskiii
Original post by just_a_teen_
Literally same. I'm very underweight for my age and my doctor has done nothing to help other than giving me prescription vitamins and supplements which DON'T help! I don't think I particularly want to gain weight but at the same time, skinny is good till a certain point, and then it just gets unflattering.

My doctors don’t help me eitherrrrr they tell me to just wait it out. One time when I was literally dying the doctor kept mentioning my weight instead of worrying about my blood infection. And she said I wasn’t infected when I was, so I got sent to the ER

I went to London Fashion Week one year and honestly the models looked ill in real life.They looked grey with sunken eyes because they were so deprived of food.It actually gave me a much better perspective on my own body shape.
Reply 17
something to do with a symbol of femininity and social place in society etc.

'In the late 19th century an idealised image of a woman with a slight shape and a small, corseted waist, sloped shoulders, tapered fingers and delicate feet started to emerge in North America and Western Europe. Known as the “steel engraving lady”, this ideal came to be associated not only with frailty, weakness and subservience, but also with high social status and moral values.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/womens-idealised-bodies-have-changed-dramatically-over-time-but-are-standards-becoming-more-unattainable-64936

same reason i suppose men are not supposed to be so thin because thinness is associated with femininity; likewise Serena Williams has been criticised by haters for 'looking like a man' because she isn't so thin. beauty standards for women change and evolve overtime tho; i don't think the average person idolises runway model thinness as they did in the 90s. now it's more likely someone like Priyanka Chopra, Scarlett Johansson or something.

It's basically considered less masculine, akin to women having a beard and lots of body hair.
Original post by Johnnava
It's basically considered less masculine, akin to women having a beard and lots of body hair.

That makes no sense. A woman with curves is less masculine looking than a model resembling an adolescent boy!

Quick Reply

Latest