The Student Room Group

Choosing a college at Cambridge

I am planning to apply to Bsc Economics and I have narrowed down the college to either Christ’s or Jesus. I feel like Jesus is more of my vibe, but I saw that they only accept 6 Economics undergraduates as opposed to 20 at Christ’s. Does this mean it is much harder to get into or does it balance out as more people apply to the bigger Economics department at Christ’s. Thanks in advance for your help :smile:
Original post by Poisonrock
I am planning to apply to Bsc Economics and I have narrowed down the college to either Christ’s or Jesus. I feel like Jesus is more of my vibe, but I saw that they only accept 6 Economics undergraduates as opposed to 20 at Christ’s. Does this mean it is much harder to get into or does it balance out as more people apply to the bigger Economics department at Christ’s. Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Note the colleges do not each have a "department" of economics. The economics department is a central one shared by students at all colleges.

In any case, the number of students they accept will not affect your chances of admission, just your experience of college and degree life potentially if you are accepted. There is a robust pooling system whereby colleges will make offers to applicants that other colleges were unable to take due to having too many students that year apply, thereby ensuring that academically able students are not disadvantaged by their choice of college.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Note the colleges do not each have a "department" of economics. The economics department is a central one shared by students at all colleges.

In any case, the number of students they accept will not affect your chances of admission, just your experience of college and degree life potentially if you are accepted. There is a robust pooling system whereby colleges will make offers to applicants that other colleges were unable to take due to having too many students that year apply, thereby ensuring that academically able students are not disadvantaged by their choice of college.

Just to clarify, does the number of students not affect how likely it is that I am admitted to the specific college to which I apply?
Just to clarify, does the number of students not affect how likely it is that I am admitted to the specific college to which I apply?

No, because different numbers of people apply to each College, and also people apply with different strengths of application.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
No, because different numbers of people apply to each College, and also people apply with different strengths of application.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean with respect to strength of application.
Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean with respect to strength of application.

Err, different applicants have different strengths of application. it's not lucky dip, if you have an outstanding application it doesn't matter how many places there are or how many applicants there are, you will get an offer. If you've got a weak application, you won't get an offer even if you are the only applicant.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Err, different applicants have different strengths of application. it's not lucky dip, if you have an outstanding application it doesn't matter how many places there are or how many applicants there are, you will get an offer. If you've got a weak application, you won't get an offer even if you are the only applicant.

Thanks for clearing it up - I think I’ll apply to Jesus and just see how it goes. I guess there’s no point in gaming the system. Thanks everyone for your help - have a good night :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending