The Student Room Group

EPQ title: Should self-inflicted illnesses be treated by the NHS?

Has anyone done an epq similar to my title: should self-inflicted illnesses be treated by the NHS?)? If so can you please send me links to the sources you used for information - it will be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Surely the point of an EPQ is to find your own sources and do your own research…no??
Lool..my friend literally did her epq with the same wording to your question
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
Surely the point of an EPQ is to find your own sources and do your own research…no??

yeah, I have but seeing resources that other people have used allows you to see the bigger picture. And I'm lazy.
Reply 4
Lazy is an understatement. I got all 9s in my gcses apart from one 8 in English lang. I am a prefect, have done silver dofe, ncs and I am currently doing gold dofe as well as an epq. Doing bio, chem maths and I am a biology ambassador. Bro, I'm not lazy its just to save time.
Original post by Deskilz
Lazy is an understatement. I got all 9s in my gcses apart from one 8 in English lang. I am a prefect, have done silver dofe, ncs and I am currently doing gold dofe as well as an epq. Doing bio, chem maths and I am a biology ambassador. Bro, I'm not lazy its just to save time.

Oh wow!
Original post by Deskilz

Save time…by copying someone else’s work instead of doing your own.
This^^
Original post by Deskilz
If you could read you would have seen that I just asked for the sources they used not for their epq. some stupid guy you are.

If you could read what the person you’ve quoted was referring to, you would have realised that they were mentioning a way to find your own sources and not anything related to do with anyone else’s EPQ. If you want to argue, at least read what has been said and refute that instead of making up a pre-existing notion that you already discard. Could perhaps be a vital EPQ skill as well :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Deskilz

So why are you doing an epq if you don't have the time to do it? Are you trying to get an a* without working? Your good gcse grades and being a prefect doesn't qualify you to cheat in an epq lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0ptics
If you could read what the person you’ve quoted was referring to, you would have realised that they were mentioning a way to find your own sources and not anything related to do with anyone else’s EPQ. If you want to argue, at least read what has been said and refute that instead of making up a pre-existing notion that you already discard. Could perhaps be a vital EPQ skill as well :wink:

destruction: 100
Original post by Deskilz
Has anyone done an epq similar to my title: should self-inflicted illnesses be treated by the NHS?)? If so can you please send me links to the sources you used for information - it will be greatly appreciated.

Your epq is supposed to be unique. Examiner's want to know what your journey was to find those sources. They won't want to hear that you used sources other people used because you couldn't be bothered.
Reply 12
Original post by mlee531
destruction: 100

me asking for the sources someone else used is like asking someone to borrow a textbook. I am just looking to see what other people have used - I have already done my own research and I have my own sources. I want to see what other sources people have used to see if I can talk about other things that I originally didn't think of. You just pick out the information you like from multiple sources to make a good argument.
Original post by Deskilz

Pick a different question the answers obvious for someone with a heart. Theres no gradient or exceptions EVERYONE should be treated and cared for no matter what. The essay is just one word long: yes.
Original post by Deskilz

Sorry to break it to you but just because you do well in your GCSEs does not guarantee that you'll do well in A-Levels. A-Levels require twice or thrice the effort. I wonder why you chose to do an EPQ if you can't even be bothered to do the easy task of trying to find some sources. It's just googling it. It's part of the adventure. You find sources according to the questions brewing in your head. What more do you need to find out? Which topic don't you understand?
Reply 15
Original post by KA_P
Sorry to break it to you but just because you do well in your GCSEs does not guarantee that you'll do well in A-Levels. A-Levels require twice or thrice the effort. I wonder why you chose to do an EPQ if you can't even be bothered to do the easy task of trying to find some sources. It's just googling it. It's part of the adventure. You find sources according to the questions brewing in your head. What more do you need to find out? Which topic don't you understand?

read the whole discussion before making comments.
Reply 16
Original post by chris01928
Pick a different question the answers obvious for someone with a heart. Theres no gradient or exceptions EVERYONE should be treated and cared for no matter what. The essay is just one word long: yes.

Ethical questions are good to argue because there is no definitive answer making it easy to evaluate and get a good mark. Otherwise, I completely agree with you, everyone should be treated equally.
Original post by Deskilz
me asking for the sources someone else used is like asking someone to borrow a textbook. I am just looking to see what other people have used - I have already done my own research and I have my own sources. I want to see what other sources people have used to see if I can talk about other things that I originally didn't think of. You just pick out the information you like from multiple sources to make a good argument.

Would've been useful to say you've already done your own research. And asking for sources really isn't like asking to borrow a textbook because your sources should be far more in-depth than any a-level textbook you're using.
Original post by mlee531
Would've been useful to say you've already done your own research.

Would've avoided a lot of the discussion
Original post by Deskilz
Ethical questions are good to argue because there is no definitive answer making it easy to evaluate and get a good mark. Otherwise, I completely agree with you, everyone should be treated equally.

Alright lets go through the pillars of ethics
Autonomy - the patient wants to be treated
Beneficene - patient needs treatment
Non-Maleficence - it would be wrong NOT to treat the patient
Just - it is unjust to not treat the patient.

This is just touching the surface but who in their right mind could argue against it. Take the advice and stop being defensive. Im trying to explain that you wont find any resources against the argument because it is completley wrong. You will be lucky to write half a page against it. Change your question, it will be a lot easier later on. Trust me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending