The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2023 Entry Applicants’ Thread

Hi everyone,

This is a general forum for anyone applying in this rotation (2023 entry). If you have any thoughts or information please feel free to comment 😁. I am a 3rd year dental student so will try my best to answer some queries too.

Hopefully the collective info will be useful to some of you.

GOOD LUCK

Scroll to see replies

I’ve tweaked your thread title so that it’s more inline with other similar thread titles.
Original post by Jhill98_
Hi everyone,

This is a general forum for anyone applying in this rotation (2023 entry). If you have any thoughts or information please feel free to comment 😁. I am a 3rd year dental student so will try my best to answer some queries too.

Hopefully the collective info will be useful to some of you.

GOOD LUCK

Hi i'm considering applying for deferred entry for 2023, im a current y12 student (going into y13). I just wanted to ask... if i apply via deferred entry, will they ask me any specific questions in the interview as to why i am deciding to defer?
Hi, I’m interested in applying for dentistry and was wondering how long you think that you should spend writing your personal statement in order to secure a good amount of interviews?
Thanks in advance
Original post by ssag1
Hi, I’m interested in applying for dentistry and was wondering how long you think that you should spend writing your personal statement in order to secure a good amount of interviews?
Thanks in advance

As much as you think is sufficient. Start a list in year 12 of things you want to include/plan to do such as work experience, volunteering, interest in dentistry and other extra curriculars. I only started writing my ps in August and made several drafts that were checked by teachers/friends that I trust before submitting my final one a week prior to the UCAS deadline. Also, be prepared to be asked anything you include in your ps during your interview.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know how many extra curriculars I should get involved in?
Original post by ssag1
Thanks for the advice. Do you know how many extra curriculars I should get involved in?

It’s not a checklist. Just doing 1 or 2 is fine to show a work life balance. Don’t take too much and end up having no time to revise. Extra curriculars aren’t as important here compared to the US.
Original post by AhmadHaider
Anyone applying to Birmingham?

Yes, I am. Are you in year 12?
Reply 8
Original post by ssag1

I’d get in touch with dental students at the uni you’re applying to and see what skills their lecturers pick up on or stress importance for when on their clinical placements. Generally though, anything that shows development of your social skills, people management and organisation, and something artistic is also a bonus 😁
Has anyone been able to get any clinical work experience?
does anyone know how glasgow uni look at grades students get. like do they ONLY look at the required subjects to get into dentistry or do they look at additional subjects too? like for example if i have 5 highers alongisde national 4 art would that make it harder to get into dentistry
What are everyone’s top 4 unis that they’re looking to apply for?
Reply 12
Is anyone here year 13 doing a gap year ?
Original post by a_04

Yeah I am but I have got an offer I just applied for deferred entry :smile:
Original post by a_04

Yep
Reply 15
Original post by s15048.
Yep

Can we still try to get into dentistry through clearing this year or is that not possible ?
Original post by a_04
Can we still try to get into dentistry through clearing this year or is that not possible ?

very unlikely
Original post by a_04

Yeah I am
Gap year here too.
Original post by kishanv983
Yeah I am

Just got rejected from all my unis so I guess I’m doing a gap year!

Quick Reply

Latest