The Student Room Group

Is dating much harder for average guys compared to average women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CorporalJin
Women are ''happier'' alone until the reach their late 30s/40s (On average) and they start to panick when they realise they have neglected family completely for a carreer.
Theres a reason in American (Stats) That women have now far-exceeded depression rates. They are the N1 consumer in anti-depression, and a lot comes to neglecting relationships.
So while women ''win'' early on in life, men tend to mature and win later in life is the general consensus.

If you want to believe in that or not is up to you...

That’s pretty interesting! I know the sort of things that make me fulfilled in life and a relationship is nice but isn’t one of the main ones. Friendships are important, companionship is great but I can get thag from animals, career and travel are important. I do see myself with someone in the future but it’s not a huge priority. Maybe it’ll change maybe not. I doubt it but who knows.
Original post by Anonymous
It is nothing to do with trophies or winning or whatever. The fact is that plenty of men don’t even get a first date despite asking a broad range of women out.

I hate to say it mate but you've been sorely misled on how you can increase your odds at scoring a relationship with a woman. Going up to her on the street after a trip to the pub, complimenting her dress, and breathing beer-breath down her neck... that's not how you get into her panties!

The trick to that is getting to know her first (generally through something called "friendship") and then down the line, if you have a strong bond and get along really well, and mutually start to see each other romantically, you snag her. A few months after beginning the relationship, you can then weasel your pecker into her grill, hopefully that'll be the only grill you weasel it into unless you agree to an open relationship or some other form of polygamy.
And there are plenty of guys who never get introductions from female friends even if they ask, saying they don’t have any single female friends. Also plenty of guys with hundreds of female friends but none of them want to date him.

See above. Word of advice: don't ask for introductions. Bit desperate imo: if your friend has a friend she thinks is a good match, she'll introduce you. I've introduced a few of my (male) friends to other (female) friends, with one of the couples (C&S) still dating 2 years on. If I knew my friend (say, Jack) was a desperate braggard who just wanted some pull, I wouldn't introduce him to one of my female friends: the man clearly wouldn't be worth a damn.

About the "hundreds of female friends," same point as above. Having 100's of friends close enough that they're all potential suitors, sharing a deep connection/etc with all of them? I'd think not. If you're after a short fling and getting some, that's the equivalent of trying your luck asking random girls on the street, which I would think is biased to favour women (what with the whole thirsty-guy problem as my good Tatering friend Gaddafi mentioned.)

It does have a basis, how does statistics and viewership not show it?
Again you don't see as nearly as much attention on the other side of the coin. 100+ channels on youtube are dedicated to content like that, ranging from Pick up artists to RedPill etc etc...
For the most part its guys looking for help/advice. You can't compare cute duck/cat videos to that, its foolish.
Hell theres even whole forums dedicated to mens dating, yet the same can't really be said for women in terms of attention..

You're assuming that the ratio of views of Male Dating Help Videos (MDHVs) to Female Dating Help Videos (FMHVs) being large instantly equates to a bias favouring women in the dating game across-the-board.

That's just a pure equality though: MDHVs > FMHVs. Whether or not that corroborates a real-world bias for all men that puts them at a disadvantage in finding mates is a different story, though. If you were to assume that, you'd be assuming all sorts of equalities between men/women:
- equal representation in YouTube viewership (by gender)
- roughly equal age distribution (may skew viewing tendencies)
- roughly equivalent viewer psychology (see: both are equally likely to go to YouTube to get help with a relationship)
- all sorts more
Multitudinous factors come into play when doing a reduction of that sort with YouTube analytics and there's a reason that statisticians publish papers on reducing such data rather than just saying (X>Y and hence hypothesis D must be true, disproving the NH.)

And I'll have you know, wanting to **** a duck is a fetish that a lot of people likely have. "Cute" to us, sure, but not to them. You never know :lol:

About that forum thing, see the thing about X>Y hence D must be true, disproving the NH. It's the same thing: site visits instead of YT views. You'd need an equally rigorous reduction rather than the childish X>Y nonsense.

Original post by stressengstudent
You say that like it's a bad thing. A woman is allowed to say no to you; you aren't entitled to anybody's time or attention.

Yeah I'm glad they are allowed to say no. The plebeian boobs who go on YouTube for advice on how to score likely aren't of the finest stock, anyway :lol:
You say that like it's a bad thing. A woman is allowed to say no to you; you aren't entitled to anybody's time or attention.

I’m not disagreeing with that but at the same time I’m allowed to moan about it. And women are also not entitled to getting commitment from guys they have sex with.
I’m not disagreeing with that but at the same time I’m allowed to moan about it. And women are also not entitled to getting commitment from guys they have sex with.

Who said they were

Yes, you're allowed to moan about it, and I'm sure it sucks! But also... dude, you just jumped to several conclusions there; that wasn't what I was talking about at all.
Original post by Callicious
I hate to say it mate but you've been sorely misled on how you can increase your odds at scoring a relationship with a woman. Going up to her on the street after a trip to the pub, complimenting her dress, and breathing beer-breath down her neck... that's not how you get into her panties!

The trick to that is getting to know her first (generally through something called "friendship") and then down the line, if you have a strong bond and get along really well, and mutually start to see each other romantically, you snag her. A few months after beginning the relationship, you can then weasel your pecker into her grill, hopefully that'll be the only grill you weasel it into unless you agree to an open relationship or some other form of polygamy.

See above. Word of advice: don't ask for introductions. Bit desperate imo: if your friend has a friend she thinks is a good match, she'll introduce you. I've introduced a few of my (male) friends to other (female) friends, with one of the couples (C&S) still dating 2 years on. If I knew my friend (say, Jack) was a desperate braggard who just wanted some pull, I wouldn't introduce him to one of my female friends: the man clearly wouldn't be worth a damn.

About the "hundreds of female friends," same point as above. Having 100's of friends close enough that they're all potential suitors, sharing a deep connection/etc with all of them? I'd think not. If you're after a short fling and getting some, that's the equivalent of trying your luck asking random girls on the street, which I would think is biased to favour women (what with the whole thirsty-guy problem as my good Tatering friend Gaddafi mentioned.)

You're assuming that the ratio of views of Male Dating Help Videos (MDHVs) to Female Dating Help Videos (FMHVs) being large instantly equates to a bias favouring women in the dating game across-the-board.

That's just a pure equality though: MDHVs > FMHVs. Whether or not that corroborates a real-world bias for all men that puts them at a disadvantage in finding mates is a different story, though. If you were to assume that, you'd be assuming all sorts of equalities between men/women:
- equal representation in YouTube viewership (by gender)
- roughly equal age distribution (may skew viewing tendencies)
- roughly equivalent viewer psychology (see: both are equally likely to go to YouTube to get help with a relationship)
- all sorts more
Multitudinous factors come into play when doing a reduction of that sort with YouTube analytics and there's a reason that statisticians publish papers on reducing such data rather than just saying (X>Y and hence hypothesis D must be true, disproving the NH.)

And I'll have you know, wanting to **** a duck is a fetish that a lot of people likely have. "Cute" to us, sure, but not to them. You never know :lol:

About that forum thing, see the thing about X>Y hence D must be true, disproving the NH. It's the same thing: site visits instead of YT views. You'd need an equally rigorous reduction rather than the childish X>Y nonsense.

Yeah I'm glad they are allowed to say no. The plebeian boobs who go on YouTube for advice on how to score likely aren't of the finest stock, anyway :lol:

Friend route doesn’t work either for many men.

Every date I’ve been on with someone who I didn’t know at least a little bit have not gone well so I’d always want to know them a little bit I think

Probably increases the odds compared to asking random broads on the street though, eh lad?
Every date I’ve been on with someone who I didn’t know at least a little bit have not gone well so I’d always want to know them a little bit I think

And many men who ask our friends also get told they just want to be friends. The classic speech of “you’re a great guy and I love spending time with you but I just want to be friends with you”.
And many men who ask our friends also get told they just want to be friends. The classic speech of “you’re a great guy and I love spending time with you but I just want to be friends with you”.

Well yeah. I mean dating is hard for everyone. I wish I could romantically guys more easily/quickly than I do. Just one of those things I guess
Well yeah. I mean dating is hard for everyone. I wish I could romantically guys more easily/quickly than I do. Just one of those things I guess

I don’t think it changes how long you’ve known them. I’ve tried asking women out after a week, months, years of friendship and have got the same answer.

You sound entitled here; I'm not going to lie. Would you rather girls lied to you? Have you considered that perhaps you are the common denominator in these situations?
You sound entitled here; I'm not going to lie. Would you rather girls lied to you? Have you considered that perhaps you are the common denominator in these situations?

It’s not just me. There are many men in a similar situation. How is it entitled to moan when I’ve literally never been on 1 date In my 30 years of life?
I don’t think it changes how long you’ve known them. I’ve tried asking women out after a week, months, years of friendship and have got the same answer.

they probably just haven’t had romantic feelings for you. Time isn’t an assurance that they will develop feelings for you. There is no assurance for thag
It’s not just me. There are many men in a similar situation. How is it entitled to moan when I’ve literally never been on 1 date In my 30 years of life?

I’m not sure I’ve believe that, I know guys at uni who are (objectively) very unatttractive, have no real job prospects, have poor personality’s and no body likes them. They have sex and dates and stuff

Yes I am the common denominator. I’m not attractive to women - I’ve been selected out by natural selection. I’m allowed to moan about that. It’s not a nice position to be I .
Yes I am the common denominator. I’m not attractive to women - I’ve been selected out by natural selection. I’m allowed to moan about that. It’s not a nice position to be I .

It does suck. Maybe try to find other things to fulfill you in life. Also if you are 30 why are you on a website for students?? Are you studying?
Seems like you have flipped the statisctics completely and have no idea what your talking about.

80% of women are geting laid with 20% of the top men, meaning only the higher top guys are getting most of the action.
So instead of 70% its 20% darling... yeah talk about having your **** together more then ever as a dude...

This issue is not society, women, feminism
Actually... it is, its been proven when society becomes advanced the population decreases, women no longer need to find a partner to survive since society has reached a point where everyone is realistcally self-sufficient. Look Japan, Look at Western Europe...

Heres a graph of a well known study.

https://features.inside.com/content/images/2021/03/young-men.png

Thats having no sex in a year, sure 70% of men are getting laid compared to 82% of women still, but im willing to bet my top dollar not as much/often as women. The Tinder/ Instagram experiments show that to..
One guy managing to get laid once a year, compared to a women that does it multiple times a month with different guys shows the 80/20 %... (Top guys bagging majority of women)

I can see from your emotional language and how you are confusing your own statistics, this is clearly a sore spot for you. To be 25 and still struggling must really sting.

You are not entitled to sex. Women are not there for your sexual gratification. Dating is competitive (that 70% of men are successful shows it is not that competitive). You need to actually offer something if you want a relationship or a hook-up.
So drop your sense of entitlement, drop your pseudo-intellectual theories about how victimised you are, stop blaming external factors, etc. as all you are doing is creating an echo chamber for yourself. Actually work on improving yourself and you may have some luck.
I’m not sure I’ve believe that, I know guys at uni who are (objectively) very unatttractive, have no real job prospects, have poor personality’s and no body likes them. They have sex and dates and stuff

Well I’m living proof of it and I know several friends in same situation. Got good degrees, have good jobs and some even own a property. Most of them are at least Average looking too. And they have tried asking out women, speed dating, online dating, meeting people at social events etc. But some are older than me (35,37 few over 40) yet they have never ever even kissed a woman in their life or been on 1 date despite trying.
Well I’m living proof of it and I know several friends in same situation. Got good degrees, have good jobs and some even own a property. Most of them are at least Average looking too. And they have tried asking out women, speed dating, online dating, meeting people at social events etc. But some are older than me (35,37 few over 40) yet they have never ever even kissed a woman in their life or been on 1 date despite trying.

What are their personalities like? If women don’t like them then it sucks but not much they can do. Maybe they try to hard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending