The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2022 entry interviews discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amirhabib13
I am a gap year student hoping to get into medical school this year - bombed the interviews last year so don't want to leave things to chance.

Would love any ideas on resources available out there - cost and effectiveness if any of have used services online.. Medify and BMAT Ninja seem expensive and BeMo is US based. Anyone got experience with any of these of know of any other sites ? I don't want to waste my money - ...

the medic portal has a lot of free stuff, ask questions on this interview thread and (as ecolier said) work with someone if you can?
i'm a gap year student too, i messed up my ucat last time!
Thank you, it is for my son, he managed to get 4 interviews last year but unfortunately no offers. He is hoping that he has some in person interviews this year and he is starting his prep now. He works in a local hotel so normally wears a shirt / tie / waistcoat so feels comfortable enough in a tie. He has the amazon book mentioned and is going to practice in front of a mirror and with family but we will try to find someone who he does not know so well.
He also volunteers at a local hospice so i am hoping someone there may be able to assist. Do you have any other tips please?
Thank you, really appreciate your help.
Reply 43
@A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Interview type should affect the way you prepare.
Original post by TCL
@A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Aston will also be virtual as well :smile:)
Anyone know what happens to international applicants?
Original post by Snowbearchoo
Anyone know what happens to international applicants?

In terms of interviews and whether they will be virtual or in-person for you?
Hi, If someone doesn't know an answer to a question, should they say they don't know or change the subject to something they know
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TCL

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Southampton will be virtual
That's very useful advice, I'm gonna practice keeping my answers straight to the point in the question always. Thanks a lot.
Does anyone recommend blackstone tutors interview questions bank?
Reply 51
Original post by yara56394484
Does anyone recommend blackstone tutors interview questions bank?

Did their MMI course 2 years ago which included all their interview question banks/example answers and personally paid too much money for simple regurgitation of existing and most importantly, free medicine interview resources
If someone is under the influence of alcohol, needs medical intervention, and lacks capacity, do you act in their best interest as the doctor and give them the treatment? Even for a minor surgery?
Is it okay to give examples from your own experience as a patient? Eg for the question "Give an example of a time a doctor showed lack of empathy." Would it be better to give an example from work ex/ volunteering instead?
Thanks ecolier, i want to rep you but the system wont allow for it. I hope we can start doing one topic/question every few days on here soon !!!
Original post by TCL

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

How would you prepare differently for an online interview versus a face-to-face one?
okay thanks. My question was more around whether it's okay to use examples from when you or a family member was a patient vs examples from work ex/ volunteering.
Reply 57
Original post by _Mia101
How would you prepare differently for an online interview versus a face-to-face one?

Honestly I wouldn't say you have to do anything different, the prep should still be the same as they're still looking for the same qualities.

The only thing I would say is (even though it is hard) is to look directly at the webcam rather than the interviewer's face as that way you're making eye contact and just ensure your lighting is alright, if the interviewer can hardly see your face because there is too much or too little light it will make it harder to see your body language and gestures.
Reply 58
Original post by _Mia101

Good question! I guess they are more panel style. You can practice with friends on Zoom instead of F2F. Communication is different on screen - are you looking at the camera or the screen, you need to know whether you manage to look engaged the whole time. Probably less role play and chats with patients. People who have experienced it can tell us the difference.
Original post by candidate415
If someone is under the influence of alcohol, needs medical intervention, and lacks capacity, do you act in their best interest as the doctor and give them the treatment? Even for a minor surgery?

Consider this: what is the rationale for performing a minor operation on a patient who is under the influence of alcohol to the extent that they are unable to give capacity? Why can't it wait until they're sober?

Is it actually good enough grounds for acting in someone else's best interests?

I am, of course, working on the assumption that we have the same definition of what constitutes minor surgery :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending