The Student Room Group

One Drive MISTAKE

Hey,
I wanted some guidance on how to go on about stopping this. So, today I signed up my school OneDrive to my home PC one, and then it asked a question like 'do you want to sync it' or something along those lines, however, I didn't read it carefully and just selected yes or done. But now I've realised that all of my home PC stuff is being moved/copied to my school OneDrive which is absolutely not what I wanted to do. I just wanted my school documents to be in both my home PC and my school drive so that when I go to school, I have all my documents with me online.

Now, I don't know what to do, how to delete them from my school account and keep all the files on my PC. Some of the files contain very sensitive information and are really important, and I don't know how to delete them from there because if I delete them on my OneDrive, they get deleted on my PC too, IDK why. But, I've only got this account for this year and honestly, I dont want all that information to be on there.

So please if any of you has any idea, could you please help me sort out this mess?

Thank you.
Reply 1
BUMP

Anyone know how to solve this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by moonstones
Hey,
I wanted some guidance on how to go on about stopping this. So, today I signed up my school OneDrive to my home PC one, and then it asked a question like 'do you want to sync it' or something along those lines, however, I didn't read it carefully and just selected yes or done. But now I've realised that all of my home PC stuff is being moved/copied to my school OneDrive which is absolutely not what I wanted to do. I just wanted my school documents to be in both my home PC and my school drive so that when I go to school, I have all my documents with me online.

Now, I don't know what to do, how to delete them from my school account and keep all the files on my PC. Some of the files contain very sensitive information and are really important, and I don't know how to delete them from there because if I delete them on my OneDrive, they get deleted on my PC too, IDK why. But, I've only got this account for this year and honestly, I dont want all that information to be on there.

So please if any of you has any idea, could you please help me sort out this mess?

Thank you.

1. Copy your files from your home pc onto another medium.
2. Uninstall and log out of one drive from the home pc.
3. Delete your home pc files from one drive from a non-school pc as sometimes they might see deleted files.
4. Put the files back on your home pc.

Consider using a USB for school work its easier to use and no stress. I never use one drive personally as it can be more of a pain than a convenience.

Let me know if you need more help.,
Reply 3
Original post by High Aimer
1. Copy your files from your home pc onto another medium.
2. Uninstall and log out of one drive from the home pc.
3. Delete your home pc files from one drive from a non-school pc as sometimes they might see deleted files.
4. Put the files back on your home pc.

Consider using a USB for school work its easier to use and no stress. I never use one drive personally as it can be more of a pain than a convenience.

Let me know if you need more help.,

Thank you so much for helping!

The only problem is that I don't have anything that has that much memory space. My whole desktop stuff has gone onto my school OneDrive, and so I tried to copy them onto my usb, but it's just too large. Is there any other way to do this? Or maybe transfer it in some other way?
Thank you so much for helping!

The only problem is that I don't have anything that has that much memory space. My whole desktop stuff has gone onto my school OneDrive, and so I tried to copy them onto my usb, but it's just too large. Is there any other way to do this? Or maybe transfer it in some other way?

Ok no worries there should be another method to get this solved so dont worry about it.

1. Remove one drive from your home pc by logging out of your school account and uninstalling it.
2. Log in online (not from a school computer) and then remove any files you dont want to be on there.

That should be that simple. Let me know if you have any problems with that. And remember never to log in onto one drive on the app on your home pc you can log in online through your browser. Good Luck :smile:

And dont worry getting rid of one drive completely wont remove your files.

Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=if+i+uninstall+onedrive+will+i+lose+everything+on+my+pc&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB970GB970&oq=if+i+uninstall+onedrive+will+i+lose+everything+on+my+pc&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.8520j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok no worries there should be another method to get this solved so dont worry about it.

1. Remove one drive from your home pc by logging out of your school account and uninstalling it.
2. Log in online (not from a school computer) and then remove any files you dont want to be on there.

That should be that simple. Let me know if you have any problems with that. And remember never to log in onto one drive on the app on your home pc you can log in online through your browser. Good Luck :smile:

And dont worry getting rid of one drive completely wont remove your files.

Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=if+i+uninstall+onedrive+will+i+lose+everything+on+my+pc&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB970GB970&oq=if+i+uninstall+onedrive+will+i+lose+everything+on+my+pc&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.8520j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hey, sorry for the late response. I've tried this method, but if I remove the files from my school OneDrive, they get removed from my laptop as well, as they are all synced. So I cam't do that. Also, for some reason, I can't upload all my files to the USB Drive, I don't know why, it just says "Discovering X Items", and then "Completing X %", bit it doesn't get copied. I'm assuming it's because the files are too large, because my other pictures and like one document files do get uploaded. Also, all the files are still getting uploaded and synced and I don't know how to stop this without deleting them, which will cause them to be deleted on my home PC too.

Do you know how to resolve this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey, sorry for the late response. I've tried this method, but if I remove the files from my school OneDrive, they get removed from my laptop as well, as they are all synced. So I cam't do that. Also, for some reason, I can't upload all my files to the USB Drive, I don't know why, it just says "Discovering X Items", and then "Completing X %", bit it doesn't get copied. I'm assuming it's because the files are too large, because my other pictures and like one document files do get uploaded. Also, all the files are still getting uploaded and synced and I don't know how to stop this without deleting them, which will cause them to be deleted on my home PC too.

Do you know how to resolve this?

OK, this is an extreme approach but there is no way this plan can go wrong. I am a bit confused by what you have said. But answer these questions for me:

Can you just tell me how many gigs your files are?
Also how big is your home pc hard drive?
Did you manage to uninstall one drive from your home pc?
Where are your files stored? All on one drive or Just Synced?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
OK, this is an extreme approach but there is no way this plan can go wrong. I am a bit confused by what you have said. But answer these questions for me:

Can you just tell me how many gigs your files are?
Also how big is your home pc hard drive?
Did you manage to uninstall one drive from your home pc?
Where are your files stored? All on one drive or Just Synced?

Hey, I've just managed to unlink my school One Drive and delete the files separately from there, so it worked! I guess I was being paranoid as it was deleting files whilst it was linked to my home PC, and I had no way to back them up, but that was solved.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm truly grateful. Hope you have a great day ahead!
Hey, I've just managed to unlink my school One Drive and delete the files separately from there, so it worked! I guess I was being paranoid as it was deleting files whilst it was linked to my home PC, and I had no way to back them up, but that was solved.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm truly grateful. Hope you have a great day ahead!

No worries, let me know if you need help with anything else.

Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending