The Student Room Group

I don't enjoy my uni course / 1st year

Hi all

Long story short, I don't quite enjoy my degree (software engineering) at Cardiff University. It is about the course content and the fact that we are going to study online pretty much two semester.

I personally don't quite like the structure of the course - it's compact and it doesn't quite cover all the essential material. For some reasons it seems like we are self studying the material 80% of the time.

I had an offer from Uni of Nottingham for Computer Science, but I have rejected it due to personal circumstances. Changing the course this year won't be possible - I have already asked.

I would be grateful if you could give me some advice. I was thinking finishing the first year of this course and then perhaps change to Computer Science in a different university or finishing the whole degree (even if I won't quite enjoy it) and read masters in Computer Science.
To be honest I don’t think you should do the whole degree if you already know you won’t like it - you are setting yourself up for failure. Consider taking out a gap year instead (check with sfe that if you drop out now you might not have to pay for the course this year). In the long term I think dropping out and taking a gap year or transferring unis is the best because it’ll take a year or so to fix. Whereas if you do 3 years at a uni you don’t like you might end up ruining your uni experience and regret not doing the hard thing that’ll be most beneficial for you. But discuss with other people as well
Maybe a transfer is a good idea. Apply to other unis using your A level and First Year undergrad results. Most unis will be happy to accept you if you do well enough.
80% of self-study seems about right. A 10-credit module at uni will be made up of 20 to 25 hours of lectures (zoom or face to face) and 75-80 hours of self-study. It will be the same at Nottingham or any other uni. It sucks that its all online but lots of unis are providing lectures online only too. Cardiff is a top uni so think twice - the grass always seems greener.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all

Long story short, I don't quite enjoy my degree (software engineering) at Cardiff University. It is about the course content and the fact that we are going to study online pretty much two semester.

I personally don't quite like the structure of the course - it's compact and it doesn't quite cover all the essential material. For some reasons it seems like we are self studying the material 80% of the time.

I had an offer from Uni of Nottingham for Computer Science, but I have rejected it due to personal circumstances. Changing the course this year won't be possible - I have already asked.

I would be grateful if you could give me some advice. I was thinking finishing the first year of this course and then perhaps change to Computer Science in a different university or finishing the whole degree (even if I won't quite enjoy it) and read masters in Computer Science.

Hi!

In addition to the advice given already, I would also suggest making sure that if you choose to transfer unis, that you make sure you're aware of how they're going to deliver the teaching of the course and also the modules that will be covered that way you don't move in vain! Also, as uni is a big investment of time and money, I would suggest doing what you will enjoy. All the best and hope this helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep :smile:
Reply 5
I really appreciate your advice. I think I might get some more advice on that, because any possible decisions can seriously impact my life for the next 5 years. However, I'm not quite sure how to apply for universities this year (considering I'm still at uni). Is this thread still relevant? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 6
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending