The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

St George's A100 Medicine Reference

Does anybody know if St George's are able to accept an employer reference instead of an academic one for A100?

I've been out of education for some time so it won't be feasible to get an academic reference. I've tried contacting the university but not received a response and their website says prospective applicants for 2022 entry can only contact them from September.

Scroll to see replies

Usually universities require you to have undertaken some recent study (in the last 3 years typically) - can you not get a reference from the provider of that?
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually universities require you to have undertaken some recent study (in the last 3 years typically) - can you not get a reference from the provider of that?

It says on their website that they don't have a timeframe requirement for A100. I've also checked with other unis that I intend to apply to and they have confirmed they don't have timeframe requirements and will accept an employer reference.
Original post by micholate9
It says on their website that they don't have a timeframe requirement for A100. I've also checked with other unis that I intend to apply to and they have confirmed they don't have timeframe requirements and will accept an employer reference.

Well in that case all you really can do is arrange an employer reference, or find a different medical school to apply to. Realistically if you can't get any confirmation from St Georges soon you might want to consider that latter option though to avoid the potential situation of applying and believing (but not having confirmation) the employer reference would be acceptable, but then finding it wasn't and having "wasted" one of your four choices :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Well in that case all you really can do is arrange an employer reference, or find a different medical school to apply to. Realistically if you can't get any confirmation from St Georges soon you might want to consider that latter option though to avoid the potential situation of applying and believing (but not having confirmation) the employer reference would be acceptable, but then finding it wasn't and having "wasted" one of your four choices :s-smilie:

Yes, I won't apply without confirmation. Fortunately I do have an alternative for my 4th choice just in case!
I don't know specifically about St George's but I did my application for 2021 entry and was successful using an employer reference for A100 at Barts as a graduate.
Reply 6
Original post by yankbaper13
I don't know specifically about St George's but I did my application for 2021 entry and was successful using an employer reference for A100 at Barts as a graduate.

Congratulations on getting through! 😊
I'm applying to Barts too. I phoned them and they confirmed they're happy with an employer reference.
I wish there was a way to get through to St George's!
Congratulations on getting through! 😊
I'm applying to Barts too. I phoned them and they confirmed they're happy with an employer reference.
I wish there was a way to get through to St George's!

I imagine St George's will be the same, especially as they haven't specified it on their website etc. But best to try and check first if you can. You've got plenty of time :smile:
Reply 8
I imagine St George's will be the same, especially as they haven't specified it on their website etc. But best to try and check first if you can. You've got plenty of time :smile:

Yes I hope they are the same! But I'll wait to confirm in September before applying!

Btw did you apply as a graduate?
Yes I hope they are the same! But I'll wait to confirm in September before applying!

Btw did you apply as a graduate?

Yeah I applied as a graduate to A100.
Yeah I applied as a graduate to A100.

Can I ask if you got a 1st or a 2.i?
I know Barts have a 50:50 weighing between degree classification and UCAT. I was hoping to apply to St George's instead because they don't look at degree classification. I didn't get a 1st so I'm not sure if Barts may be too risky!
I got a 1st. I believe Barts favours those who have a 1st but if you get a competitive UCAT score you could still be invited to interview!
I got a 1st. I believe Barts favours those who have a 1st but if you get a competitive UCAT score you could still be invited to interview!

Okay, thanks! That's what I'm hoping for!
Yep I applied through clearing last year and was successful with my referee being my employer. Good luck!
Original post by Singh333
Yep I applied through clearing last year and was successful with my referee being my employer. Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know! And you did well to get through clearing :biggrin:
any international students coming to study this year ??
Thanks for letting me know! And you did well to get through clearing :biggrin:

Sorry to bump this but did you ever get confirmation that an employer reference is okay? Thanks!
Original post by spriag123
Sorry to bump this but did you ever get confirmation that an employer reference is okay? Thanks!

Yes, they confirmed they will only accept an academic one. They said you could get a generic one from the registry which confirms basic details like your attendance etc.
Yes, they confirmed they will only accept an academic one. They said you could get a generic one from the registry which confirms basic details like your attendance etc.

Interesting, that's another spanner in the works. Can you very kindly provide a bit more info on how you go about this? (e.g. what did you included in the reference section of UCAS). Honestly thanks so much.
Original post by spriag123
Interesting, that's another spanner in the works. Can you very kindly provide a bit more info on how you go about this? (e.g. what did you included in the reference section of UCAS). Honestly thanks so much.

I know! It's just another hurdle. To be honest, I was out of all other options so I have just applied with an employer reference. I am hoping they won't reject my application straight away. As someone previously said, if they do decide to offer a place, they may ask for an alternative reference. If I get to this point, I will contact the alumni office at my uni to ask them to provide a reference to include my degree, dates, title if dissertation and modules I took. Not ideal, but I was struggling to find 4 choices I was eligible for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending