The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I will be looking at all these options now I know they are there! :smile:
I applied in 2021 but got my offer deffered to 2022 due to no space! So even though I applied last year, I am on the cohort for this year, let me know if you have any questions about the process 😁
Original post by Olamide_A
I applied in 2021 but got my offer deffered to 2022 due to no space! So even though I applied last year, I am on the cohort for this year, let me know if you have any questions about the process 😁

Congrats! What stage/subject are you going to teach?
So i have been accepted to teach business to students aged 14-19 in the southwest region! But till then I have been on a marketing graduate role that will end either just before or during the summer institute :smile:
Hi all, I'm applying for primary teacher training for 2022. This year the personal statement process seems a bit different- Part 1 is your motivations to become a teacher (600 words) and part 2 is what you know about primary teaching (400 words). For part 2, I've been advised by one of the advisers to focus more on analysing my qualifications (degree, A levels etc) and how they have helped me to be a teacher, rather than talking about my experience (I've been working as a TA for several years) Has anyone got any advice on writing part 2 about what you know about your subject/age group? Would be worried i'm talking too much about qualifications rather than what I've actually learnt from the working in a school. Also 400 words is not that much...
Reply 65
so...
Reply 66
Original post by KellyT_786522
Hi all, I'm applying for primary teacher training for 2022. This year the personal statement process seems a bit different- Part 1 is your motivations to become a teacher (600 words) and part 2 is what you know about primary teaching (400 words). For part 2, I've been advised by one of the advisers to focus more on analysing my qualifications (degree, A levels etc) and how they have helped me to be a teacher, rather than talking about my experience (I've been working as a TA for several years) Has anyone got any advice on writing part 2 about what you know about your subject/age group? Would be worried i'm talking too much about qualifications rather than what I've actually learnt from the working in a school. Also 400 words is not that much...

I would say talk about your experience more or at least 50/50. Although I guess it depends on your degree? But for me personally, I feel my job has given me more experience for teacher training than my degree as it's real world experience.
Hi all! :wavey:

Thought I would join this thread. I'm currently in my final year of a BA in English and I'm looking to go into a PGCE next year. Not really started any applications yet, where is everyone else in the application process?
Original post by nicalibres
Hi all! :wavey:

Thought I would join this thread. I'm currently in my final year of a BA in English and I'm looking to go into a PGCE next year. Not really started any applications yet, where is everyone else in the application process?

Hey! Best of luck! :smile:

I'm applying for PGCE Art and I'm a little stressed. I've got a pre-PGCE art teaching placement at a secondary school coming up which is great and also have teaching + assistant experience, just not in secondary schools.

Since it's in November, I want to wait until I finish my first week or two at placement so I can talk about it at my PGCE interviews. But I know places snap up and that will be about nearly a month since applications open today. I just don't want to apply with an 'I'm going to do a placement just not yet' which is a little random, rather at least be in the placement at time of application and interview!

Sounds crazy to be saying a month into applications feels late, but I've heard a lot about how universities really do work on a first come first serve basis with PGCEs. Maybe I'm working myself up from reading too many other threads haha.
Hi everyone

I put my application in this morning for my three choices for teacher training (primary). Excited! Also applied to Teach First on 4th Oct but not heard back from them yet. Not sure if that's bad news or not!
Original post by dramacoolfan
Hey! Best of luck! :smile:

I'm applying for PGCE Art and I'm a little stressed. I've got a pre-PGCE art teaching placement at a secondary school coming up which is great and also have teaching + assistant experience, just not in secondary schools.

Since it's in November, I want to wait until I finish my first week or two at placement so I can talk about it at my PGCE interviews. But I know places snap up and that will be about nearly a month since applications open today. I just don't want to apply with an 'I'm going to do a placement just not yet' which is a little random, rather at least be in the placement at time of application and interview!

Sounds crazy to be saying a month into applications feels late, but I've heard a lot about how universities really do work on a first come first serve basis with PGCEs. Maybe I'm working myself up from reading too many other threads haha.

I would definitely wait until after you've done some of the placement. It's true that PGCE courses can 'fill up', but I'm pretty sure anytime before Christmas is pretty safe for your application.
Original post by bluebeetle
I would definitely wait until after you've done some of the placement. It's true that PGCE courses can 'fill up', but I'm pretty sure anytime before Christmas is pretty safe for your application.

Thanks for your advice. :smile: That's what I was thinking! I don't see the point of rushing an application to be early, when I can be patient and have a stronger, well informed application with secondary placement experience and I reckon November is still 'early' and safe enough! May I ask when you applied to yours if you applied? I saw you gained QTS in 2020.

I keep getting conflicting advice, with a friend who completed her PGCE saying because it's first come first serve, that I should really apply almost ASAP.
Original post by dramacoolfan
Thanks for your advice. :smile: That's what I was thinking! I don't see the point of rushing an application to be early, when I can be patient and have a stronger, well informed application with secondary placement experience and I reckon November is still 'early' and safe enough! May I ask when you applied to yours if you applied? I saw you gained QTS in 2020.

I keep getting conflicting advice, with a friend who completed her PGCE saying because it's first come first serve, that I should really apply almost ASAP.

I sent my application in early January, and had no trouble getting a spot :smile:

It's true that it's "first come first serve" in the sense that the course has a limited number of spots that they will start filling from when applications open. However, in all the threads I've seen on here, I can't recall ever seeing anybody complaining about their chosen course filling up before Christmas. I think training providers would probably be inclined not to rush to fill up the course, as they know candidates will be applying all through the year.
Original post by bluebeetle
I sent my application in early January, and had no trouble getting a spot :smile:

It's true that it's "first come first serve" in the sense that the course has a limited number of spots that they will start filling from when applications open. However, in all the threads I've seen on here, I can't recall ever seeing anybody complaining about their chosen course filling up before Christmas. I think training providers would probably be inclined not to rush to fill up the course, as they know candidates will be applying all through the year.

Ah your reassurance was definitely needed! :h: You are my life-line from stressing out too much about the application haha.
I'll stick to my polished in Nov-Dec approach, it definitely seems wisest. Actually, someone asked on the UCL FE Open Day today when is a good time, and the course leader reassured November is very much in good time!
Original post by JamThatJam
Hey, In the interview, the most important bit was your knowledge of teaching and the subject you are planning to teach (I'm doing primary, so they looked at your knowledge of teaching methods, behaviour management, safeguarding etc.). I would say that they defiantly value experience over qualifications (but this doesn't have to be school experience).

Some advice that I can give you is to make your personal statement stand out. Get a teacher training advisor from @GetIntoTeaching as they can help you as much as you want. I'd also suggest going for whatever route suits you and picking a provider best fits your needs (Uni prestige doesn't matter for teacher training). The SCITT route that I chose wasn't very competitive as they told me that they had unlimited spaces- However, this certainly isn't the case with all providers (some might be very competitive. I hope this helps and that I've answered all of your questions! :smile:

Hi! I have applied for teacher training SCITT route, Sept 2022… I just wondered how long it took them to get back to you to arrange an interview?
Was it pretty quickly?

thank you ☺️ X
I applied for my three choices on Tuesday and heard back 24 hours later with an interview offer for next Tuesday! So excited! Apparently they tell you whether or not you are successful within 24 hours after that also!
Reply 76
Sent my application a few hours ago! And now to wait......
Original post by marxkate
I applied for my three choices on Tuesday and heard back 24 hours later with an interview offer for next Tuesday! So excited! Apparently they tell you whether or not you are successful within 24 hours after that also!

Amazing! Congratulations :smile:

Which teaching school have you applied through if you don’t mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 78
Hi everyone! I am aiming to do a Geography Secondary PGCE. However, I am having no luck with finding school experience at the moment. Will I have no chance of being accepted without any? I am a departmental peer guide currently at Uni and I volunteered as a Biology TA during my A-Levels. Many thanks!
Original post by Oldl
Hi everyone! I am aiming to do a Geography Secondary PGCE. However, I am having no luck with finding school experience at the moment. Will I have no chance of being accepted without any? I am a departmental peer guide currently at Uni and I volunteered as a Biology TA during my A-Levels. Many thanks!

I know that last year, lots of training providers weren't so fussy about experience as they knew it was harder to get because of covid, but this year I'm not so sure.

It would be a really good idea to get experience just for your own sake, as you don't want to commit to a pretty intensive course without first knowing you definitely want to pursue it. Have you spoken to the Get Into Teaching people? I think they are quite good at supporting people in getting experience. You can also try talking to the careers service at your uni - when I was at uni, the careers service had links with certain local secondary schools that regularly took students for experience before they applied for teacher training.

Latest

Trending

Trending