The Student Room Group

Russell group uni and gcse

I got A*A*A*AAAABB in gcse, I wasnt expecting Bs tbh because my teacher said that I got above B in my exams that I took during covid , however, they gave me Bs. I was told that I can resit but I'm not sure cause I'm doing A levels and I want to focus on them. Do u think I should retake and do you think I can get into Russell group uni with these gcse grades?
Most universities look for C or a B in English and Maths. You don't need to worry about your GCSE grades they are fine. gcse grades barely matter. Focus on your a-levels, that's what matters.
Original post by Aleyy044
I got A*A*A*AAAABB in gcse, I wasnt expecting Bs tbh because my teacher said that I got above B in my exams that I took during covid , however, they gave me Bs. I was told that I can resit but I'm not sure cause I'm doing A levels and I want to focus on them. Do u think I should retake and do you think I can get into Russell group uni with these gcse grades?

There are very few unis that would reject you simply for your GCSE results.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
There are very few unis that would reject you simply for your GCSE results.

Its true but my grades were affected cause of covid and I really don't have any choice. Some people that I know got 8s in all their maths tests and received a 6 on results day, there were many more problems like this.
Dude, I got :
A*AAAABBBCCC for my GCSEs, and I got into the University of Leeds.

Your grades are fine. Focus on your A Levels now.
Reply 5
Its true but my grades were affected cause of covid and I really don't have any choice. Some people that I know got 8s in all their maths tests and received a 6 on results day, there were many more problems like this.

I feel like with me it's bad luck cause even when I did my sats in year 6 I got average or something but then after a few months they sent a letter home and it said that I got higher. This has nothing to do with the convo but yh
I feel like with me it's bad luck cause even when I did my sats in year 6 I got average or something but then after a few months they sent a letter home and it said that I got higher. This has nothing to do with the convo but yh

Why are you replying to yourself???
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Dude, I got :
A*AAAABBBCCC for my GCSEs, and I got into the University of Leeds.

Your grades are fine. Focus on your A Levels now.

Really? But I'm planning to do medicine
They're fine and Russell Group unis don't really care anyway.

For medicine and surgery at the University of Leeds, their GCSE requirements are:
GCSE: A minimum of 6 GCSEs grade B or above (or 5 or above) required in Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry or Dual Science.

For medicine at the University of Manchester, their GCSE requirements are:
We require at least seven GCSEs at grade A (7) or A* (8+).
English Language, Mathematics and at least two science subjects are required at GCSE minimum grade B (6). If Dual Award Science or Core and Additional Science are offered, the minimum required is BB (66).

For medicine at the University of Bristol, their GCSE requirements are:
Profile:
Advanced numeracy requirement (7 or A in GCSE Mathematics or equivalent)
and
Standard literacy requirement (4 or C in GCSE English or equivalent)
Further information about GCSE requirements and profile levels.

etc. etc.

You're fine.

Plus it's not really hard to Google the universities you're interested in, and see all this information for yourself.
(edited 2 years ago)
I study at a “Russel group university” and yeah my gcse averages to about a “B” no problems really just look for the course your interested in and see if there’s a requirement or a recommendation for a certain a level for example a common one would be A Level Maths.
I'm planning to do medicine

Then check you meet any specific GCSE subjects/grades required (as an example, for Medicine, Bristol requires 7 in Maths and 4 in English, but every Uni will be different).

Other than that, ALL Medical Schools are far more interested in your A level predicted grades, your Personal Statment and your UKCAT or BMAT score - not your overall GCSE profile.

There is a large section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - lots of useful info and advice : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 12

Russell Group is totally irrelevant for Medicine.
Because the all Med degrees are accredited by the GMC - and therefore the NHS wont care where you trained, and neither will your patients.
Reply 14
Original post by McGinger
Then check you meet any specific GCSE subjects/grades required (as an example, for Medicine, Bristol requires 7 in Maths and 4 in English, but every Uni will be different).

Other than that, ALL Medical Schools are far more interested in your A level predicted grades, your Personal Statment and your UKCAT or BMAT score - not your overall GCSE profile.

There is a large section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - lots of useful info and advice : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Generally good advice, although there are a small number of medicine schools who place a heavy emphasis on GCSE results in their criteria for who they choose to interview. Cardiff is the obvious example. Unless you have contextual circumstances, then in recent years you have needed 9 x top grade GCSEs (8, 9 or A*) to get an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest