The Student Room Group

I can't transfer to another course

Hi,

I am currently wanting to change courses from IR to History. For some background I am a fresher and started this year and my UCAS year of application was 2021. So I applied to my uni and all across the board they had lowered their grade requirements down one grade so originally most courses required AAB but due to the pandemic etc they had lowered it to BBC. I got into my uni with BBC and only a few weeks into my course I realised that I made a mistake and want to change my course. But here's where the problems start

I contacted my personal tutor like they tell you to with my concerns and she basically just said if you want to change course al you need to do is fill out a form and send it to the right department. She NEVER told me I had to meet different grade requirements so when I got an email back saying to don't meet the grade requirements I was stumped because I met the requirements to get in last year so why have they suddenly change.

I now don't know what to do as the entry requirements were set back up to AAB which I can't do and I am basically being told I can't transfer. Everyone except from my student hub hasn't been helpful at all. My PAT basically said well if you don't meet the grade requirements find another course at the uni that you do have the requirements for ( that being none as the grades want back up again ) so I am running out of options. I contacted my student hub and they said that they will talk to my history department to see if they can get me in but I know that they most likely will tell me that I cannot transfer. No one at my uni has helped me much and if I can't get onto the course I don't know what to do. Should I drop out and re-apply for next year so I start all over again at a uni that 1. I meet the grade requirements for 2. That I like and 3. Do the course I want.

Please help as I am really scared and don't know what to do
(edited 2 years ago)
Complete this year so you can get the first year qualification. If you drop out you’ll need to make sure you can find work so it’s not a wasted year.
Next you may need to look at other universities if you are unable to get a place for your course. Call them up and ask and let them know about what you are currently studying and hopefully they can give you more guidance. Hope that helps
I think the post above me is also right but also go back to your tutor and explain the situation and I suggest emailing the department of the course that you want the basis on which you got the offer and how the situation was for that year ,
They lowered the boundaries due to covid there’s no way you could’ve got those grades with that going on nicely explain them and see if they consider it coz at the end of the day covid was out of your hands ( before doing so confirm with tutor also mention that you had a chat with the tutor too )

Most importantly take care of yourself and your mental health , don’t let it get to you.
Whatever happens, happens for a reason, I’m sure you can work something out, be patient
yes, you will have to drop out and try another uni that will accept BBC.
Original post by graceponcho
Hi,

I am currently wanting to change courses from IR to History. For some background I am a fresher and started this year and my UCAS year of application was 2021. So I applied to my uni and all across the board they had lowered their grade requirements down one grade so originally most courses required AAB but due to the pandemic etc they had lowered it to BBC. I got into my uni with BBC and only a few weeks into my course I realised that I made a mistake and want to change my course. But here's where the problems start

I contacted my personal tutor like they tell you to with my concerns and she basically just said if you want to change course al you need to do is fill out a form and send it to the right department. She NEVER told me I had to meet different grade requirements so when I got an email back saying to don't meet the grade requirements I was stumped because I met the requirements to get in last year so why have they suddenly change.

I now don't know what to do as the entry requirements were set back up to AAB which I can't do and I am basically being told I can't transfer. Everyone except from my student hub hasn't been helpful at all. My PAT basically said well if you don't meet the grade requirements find another course at the uni that you do have the requirements for ( that being none as the grades want back up again ) so I am running out of options. I contacted my student hub and they said that they will talk to my history department to see if they can get me in but I know that they most likely will tell me that I cannot transfer. No one at my uni has helped me much and if I can't get onto the course I don't know what to do. Should I drop out and re-apply for next year so I start all over again at a uni that 1. I meet the grade requirements for 2. That I like and 3. Do the course I want.

Please help as I am really scared and don't know what to do

This sounds like exactly what I'm going through right now. I also applied to university for a course I thought I'd get on well with. However, when I started the course, the reality didn't meet my expectations. I have been emailing around the houses at my university trying to get a department to agree to let me transfer. However, it's like coming up against a brick wall. Whilst my department consent to me transferring and are happy to sign a release form, every other department has been short and curt in saying they can't accommodate a transfer. Unlike your situation, I know I meet the grade requirements but my university are being very difficult about the situation. I wouldn't think a transfer would be so difficult considering we are only 3 weeks in. If I'm unable to transfer I'm faced with the same option as you, withdrawing from my studies and re-applying for next year. It is the cause of much anxiety for me too. In short, don't worry, you are not the only one in this position.
Original post by aish98xo
This sounds like exactly what I'm going through right now. I also applied to university for a course I thought I'd get on well with. However, when I started the course, the reality didn't meet my expectations. I have been emailing around the houses at my university trying to get a department to agree to let me transfer. However, it's like coming up against a brick wall. Whilst my department consent to me transferring and are happy to sign a release form, every other department has been short and curt in saying they can't accommodate a transfer. Unlike your situation, I know I meet the grade requirements but my university are being very difficult about the situation. I wouldn't think a transfer would be so difficult considering we are only 3 weeks in. If I'm unable to transfer I'm faced with the same option as you, withdrawing from my studies and re-applying for next year. It is the cause of much anxiety for me too. In short, don't worry, you are not the only one in this position.

its been a bumper year for applications and with 45% of people getting As all depts are full to the brim. drop out and apply for the course you want to do next year.
Original post by mike23mike
its been a bumper year for applications and with 45% of people getting As all depts are full to the brim. drop out and apply for the course you want to do next year.

Thank you for replying, and for the advice! it is most likely what I will do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending