The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Applying for a Masters or PhD: Masters
Universities that you're interested in/applying for: York, KCL, Cambridge, Oxford, Exeter
Courses that you're interested in/applying for: 18th C
Brief description of research interests: 18th Century poetry
Current/most recent university: Exeter
Current/most recent course: English Literature
Favourite book/book recommendation: Not my favourite book but a recent read that I thought was brilliant is The Nickel Boys
Currently reading/most recently read book: Currently, North and South by Gaskell
Nationality: British
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Iona23
Universities that you're interested in/applying for: York, KCL, Cambridge, Oxford, Exeter
Courses that you're interested in/applying for: 18th C
Brief description of research interests: 18th Century poetry
Current/most recent university: Exeter
Current/most recent course: English Literature
Favourite book/book recommendation: Not my favourite book but a recent read that I thought was brilliant is The Nickel Boys
Currently reading/most recently read book: Currently, North and South by Gaskell

Hi, it's great to hear from you! Which course are you applying to at Oxford by the way? And how is the application process going for you in general?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Iona23
Hello! I think just the 18th century one - how about yourself?
I haven't made much progress on the application form yet, currently gathering the bits and pieces I need for it and trying to write that personal statement! I'm working full time (graduated a few years ago) and have a lot on at the moment, but I will get it done in the next few weeks.

Hi, ah right I think I know which one you mean, I'm applying for the one the period after (1830-1914). I completely understand, I'm in a similar boat as well. If you don't mind me asking, just out of curiosity, what have you been doing since you graduated? I've taken a year out to work and save up this year and was just interested to know what sort of thing English applicants do if they go into work and come back to wanting to study. Also, best of luck with your applications!
Reply 23
Original post by Iona23
Thanks! Best of luck to you too. That looks like a great course. I'm a bit concerned about the writing samples as I graduated a few years ago.
I've worked in investment banking and TV! Varied but interesting!

Thank you! The writing samples are quite a nerve-wracking part for me too so I understand how you feel - I'd be more than happy to talk to you more about it over PM if you'd like, or even we could maybe exchange pieces if you think that would be of help. And that sounds fascinating, what sort of roles in TV have you had?
I'm an international student from China looking to study in Britain. I have just received an offer from Durham and am waiting for Edinburgh's response. I'm really struggling to make a choice between the two as I have to pay the deposit by the end of November if I want to keep the place at Durham. It would be great if anybody could give me some information about what it's like to study literature in either of the universities or maybe just some general suggestions. Thanks.:smile:

Universities that you're interested in/applying for: Edinburgh, Durham, Leeds, KCL, Glasgow
Courses that you're interested in/applying for: contemporary literature
Brief description of research interests: life writing and medical humanities (more specifically, memory, time, and the self in 21st-century fiction)
Current/most recent university: Nanjing Normal University, China
Current/most recent course: BA in English and French
Favourite book/book recommendation: Little, Big by John Crowley, really beautiful prose
Currently reading/most recently read book: Saturday by Ian McEwan,
Nationality: Chinese
Reply 25
Original post by electrica
I'm an international student from China looking to study in Britain. I have just received an offer from Durham and am waiting for Edinburgh's response. I'm really struggling to make a choice between the two as I have to pay the deposit by the end of November if I want to keep the place at Durham. It would be great if anybody could give me some information about what it's like to study literature in either of the universities or maybe just some general suggestions. Thanks.:smile:

Universities that you're interested in/applying for: Edinburgh, Durham, Leeds, KCL, Glasgow
Courses that you're interested in/applying for: contemporary literature
Brief description of research interests: life writing and medical humanities (more specifically, memory, time, and the self in 21st-century fiction)
Current/most recent university: Nanjing Normal University, China
Current/most recent course: BA in English and French
Favourite book/book recommendation: Little, Big by John Crowley, really beautiful prose
Currently reading/most recently read book: Saturday by Ian McEwan,
Nationality: Chinese

Hi, it's great to hear from you! If you don't mind, I'll respond to your post via message just because I had a couple of thoughts and also in case you had any follow up questions.
Original post by Wildean99
Hi, it's great to hear from you! If you don't mind, I'll respond to your post via message just because I had a couple of thoughts and also in case you had any follow up questions.

Yeah, sure. It's so nice of you! :smile:
Hey guys, I was on this thread for last year's applications! I'm at KCL doing my MA now, slowly working on preparing my PhD proposals for next year's application cycle. Wanted to wish y'all applying this year the BEST, I truly send all of my positive energy your way <3 If I can in any way help with MSt apps please let me know, but I'm sure you'll all smash this process and become stronger academics for it!!! Much love x
I'm from the thread last year but am currently on the 1830-1914 MSt at Oxford if anyone wants any insight into how the first term has been, I know a few people from other strands so may be able to share about those too :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by booksandflowers8
I'm from the thread last year but am currently on the 1830-1914 MSt at Oxford if anyone wants any insight into how the first term has been, I know a few people from other strands so may be able to share about those too :smile:

Hiya, great to hear from you! I hope that you're enjoying the course! That's the strand that I'm (re)applying to so if you don't mind, I'll send you a PM with a couple of questions.
Original post by nathan1403
Hi guys! Thought I'd join this thread as I've just submitted my first application :smile:

Universities that you're interested in/applying for: Sheffield, Bristol, & York so far; might look at others
Courses that you're interested in/applying for: English Literature
Brief description of research interests: I'm mostly interested in 18th/19th century stuff! Not really doing research though
Current/most recent university: Southampton
Current/most recent course: BA English (graduated with a first a few months ago :biggrin:)
Favourite book/book recommendation: Nerdy but the complete works of William Blake is my go to!
Currently reading/most recently read book: Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall... I like a bit of easy-to-read romance sometimes :colondollar:

Anyone interested in joining a Uni of Sheffield postgrad group chat or if you are looking for a house share with other postgrads message me :smile:
got an offer from York today :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by anoneng1
got an offer from York today :smile:

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Any news yet for Oxford applicants? Particularly for their masters courses?
Original post by Wildean99
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending