The Student Room Group

Smear (Pap) Test

Hi all,
I have a Smear test booked for Thursday and although I have had one before,I found it excruciatingly painful!

any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Alice x
Original post by alice 687
Hi all,
I have a Smear test booked for Thursday and although I have had one before,I found it excruciatingly painful!

any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Alice x

Generally try to relax as much as possible as make it easier for you to allow this test to be done, I know it's easier said than done relaxing but worth a go.
I have a smear test every 5 years under our government guidance.
I'm also a nurse with NHS.
I put some stuff below to perhaps try when you go along for yours on Thursday and hope it not as bad as previously.

Smear test top tips: How to make cervical screening more comfortably......
Time your appointment with your period.
Wear comfortable clothes.
Ask for a woman to do the test.
Ask for a smaller speculum.
Put the speculum in yourself.
Ask to change position.
Don't use lubricant.
Use painkillers if necessary.

What should you not do before a smear test.....….....
Avoid intercourse, douching, or using any vaginal medicines or spermicidal foams, creams or jellies for two days before having a Pap smear, as these may wash away or obscure abnormal cells. Try not to schedule a Pap smear during your menstrual period. It's best to avoid this time of your cycle, if possible

How do you stay calm during a smear test.............
Tips For Making Your Smear Test More Comfortable
Remember that your GP or gynaecologist has seen many vaginas before. ...
Wear warm clothing. ...
Think of something to distract you during the test. ...
Focus on your breathing. ...
Relieve yourself before the test. ...
Communicate with your doctor or person who is doing this...

How uncomfortable is a smear test............
Does it hurt? Pap smears shouldn't hurt. If you're getting your first Pap, it may feel a little uncomfortable because it's a new sensation that your body isn't yet used to. People often say it feels like a small pinch, but everyone has a different threshold for pain.
Reply 2
Original post by Allyson2020
Generally try to relax as much as possible as make it easier for you to allow this test to be done, I know it's easier said than done relaxing but worth a go.
I have a smear test every 5 years under our government guidance.
I'm also a nurse with NHS.
I put some stuff below to perhaps try when you go along for yours on Thursday and hope it not as bad as previously.

Smear test top tips: How to make cervical screening more comfortably......
Time your appointment with your period.
Wear comfortable clothes.
Ask for a woman to do the test.
Ask for a smaller speculum.
Put the speculum in yourself.
Ask to change position.
Don't use lubricant.
Use painkillers if necessary.

What should you not do before a smear test.....….....
Avoid intercourse, douching, or using any vaginal medicines or spermicidal foams, creams or jellies for two days before having a Pap smear, as these may wash away or obscure abnormal cells. Try not to schedule a Pap smear during your menstrual period. It's best to avoid this time of your cycle, if possible

How do you stay calm during a smear test.............
Tips For Making Your Smear Test More Comfortable
Remember that your GP or gynaecologist has seen many vaginas before. ...
Wear warm clothing. ...
Think of something to distract you during the test. ...
Focus on your breathing. ...
Relieve yourself before the test. ...
Communicate with your doctor or person who is doing this...

How uncomfortable is a smear test............
Does it hurt? Pap smears shouldn't hurt. If you're getting your first Pap, it may feel a little uncomfortable because it's a new sensation that your body isn't yet used to. People often say it feels like a small pinch, but everyone has a different threshold for pain.

Thank you so much for your help!
Would you recommend using a numbing cream? I know there was speculation that it would affect the rest result?

Regards,

Alice.
Would you recommend using a numbing cream? I know there was speculation that it would affect the rest result?

Regards,

Alice.

Hi,
You welcome hunni xx
To be honest if you think that a numbing cream or something to help you through this then it's totally upto yourself but it not really necessary to do this.
Few things below may help as well........

Position Matters, Too. A simple change in positioning might also make a pap smear less painful. Some women tolerate the procedure better by lying on their sides or they place their hands underneath their rears and press down. Just like sex, different positions can decrease any discomfort you feel in your vagina
Can you take a painkiller before a smear test.........

Painkillers are not generally required, but "if you were really worried and think it would help, you could take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand If you feel that would help you, then there's no harm, in doing that." But not really necessary.

Allyson xxx

Regards,

Alice.

From personal experience, the pain mostly comes from stretching from the speculum so numbing gel is unlikely to help much. Plus it may affect the results as you say (even certain types of lubricants can affect the results so best not to risk it as it might mean having to come back in for another smear). I think what might have helped thinking back to my own experience is having some alcohol beforehand to relax me :redface: Not suggesting you should try that but I find that even sex is less painful after I've had a drink so if I ever decide to go ahead with another smear, I will probably be drinking beforehand :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
From personal experience, the pain mostly comes from stretching from the speculum so numbing gel is unlikely to help much. Plus it may affect the results as you say (even certain types of lubricants can affect the results so best not to risk it as it might mean having to come back in for another smear). I think what might have helped thinking back to my own experience is having some alcohol beforehand to relax me :redface: Not suggesting you should try that but I find that even sex is less painful after I've had a drink so if I ever decide to go ahead with another smear, I will probably be drinking beforehand :redface:

Thank you, that's also very helpful!
Do they still use a speculum?

Alice x
Thank you, that's also very helpful!
Do they still use a speculum?

Alice x

of cours, how else would they see the cervix?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
of cours, how else would they see the cervix?

I just wondered as you can now get a cervical smear home testing kit which does not include a speculum?

Alice x
I just wondered as you can now get a cervical smear home testing kit which does not include a speculum?

Alice x

Have not heard of those, sorry. In a GP practice, they definitely use speculums though.

Quick Reply

Latest