The Student Room Group

should i drop a level maths?

I am doing computer science economics philosophy and maths. I got a grade 6 in gcse in maths plus I have always struggled with the subject, for university I would love to do a cs degree, I am talented in programming and love computers. Plus there are good unis that accept me with A level cs instead of maths, or i can do a digital IT solution Apprenticeship at QMUL? Also we did do 2 maths test already (they were grade 9 gcse not even a level) and i got extremely bad in them. thoughts??
(edited 2 years ago)
grade 6 = D at A level

So you would probably need to put in more work than you currently do; that’s why you find it hard.

The first few weeks you do grade 9 level, yes, but ngl it gets easier if you put in the work. If you feel like you’re not willing to work then there’s no point.

Remember that no university in the UK requires you to do 4 A levels.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
grade 6 = D at A level

So you would probably need to put in more work than you currently do; that’s why you find it hard.

The first few weeks you do grade 9 level, yes, but ngl it gets easier if you put in the work. If you feel like you’re not willing to work then there’s no point.

Remember that no university in the UK requires you to do 4 A levels.

thats true, also i forgot to mention that i have an A in a level arabic so that would amount to 5 a levels(pointless really). But its not that I am not willing to work, its that I dont have time to work, especially considering the fact that I never did Computer Science at GCSE which would put me at a disadvantage already. And I'll have to manage 3 other subjects.

But my main point was, is maths a NECCESSITY for Computer Science, and will I be able to do well without it?
Original post by stacknostarve
thats true, also i forgot to mention that i have an A in a level arabic so that would amount to 5 a levels(pointless really). But its not that I am not willing to work, its that I dont have time to work, especially considering the fact that I never did Computer Science at GCSE which would put me at a disadvantage already. And I'll have to manage 3 other subjects.

But my main point was, is maths a NECCESSITY for Computer Science, and will I be able to do well without it?

Many students who do a Computer science degree have took Maths at A level; so I’m guessing it’s helpful. However, I don’t think it’s a necessity.

As far as requirements go for university, only some require you to do A level maths so I’d just stay clear away from those if you decide to drop maths.
Original post by stacknostarve
I am doing computer science economics philosophy and maths. I got a grade 6 in gcse in maths plus I have always struggled with the subject, for university I would love to do a cs degree, I am talented in programming and love computers. Plus there are good unis that accept me with A level cs instead of maths, or i can do a digital IT solution Apprenticeship at QMUL? Also we did do 2 maths test already (they were grade 9 gcse not even a level) and i got extremely bad in them. thoughts??

Well based on my research maths is essentially more important than CS to study CS at University however I've only rlly check the biggest unis like imperial and Oxbridge so it might be diff for lower unis but CS and maths go hand in hand so it would be a good idea to not drop it and work on improving

Quick Reply

Latest