The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving

I’m not sure if it’s wrong to feel this way I do like the school I’m at it’s just I don’t feel in my heart right now I’m truly content. I left it late to find a job and this was pretty much after 3 interviews I got this. On the whole there’s pros and cons which I know goes for anywhere.

I just feel it’s not for me and I can’t fully grow somewhere that I’m not really sure about. I’m only on a one year but nearly 3 people say they want to leave which would massively change the department. I feel it wouldn’t be the same. My mentor is leaving too And he’s been amazing but handed his notice in which is a shame.

I feel without all those things it really changes things. The head is also very firm about his vision for the school and it always feels like we’re being watched and kept an eye on and it makes it hard to truly love it.

What do i do? Just hoping for some advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jammydodger39
I’m not sure if it’s wrong to feel this way I do like the school I’m at it’s just I don’t feel in my heart right now I’m truly content. I left it late to find a job and this was pretty much after 3 interviews I got this. On the whole there’s pros and cons which I know goes for anywhere.

I just feel it’s not for me and I can’t fully grow somewhere that I’m not really sure about. I’m only on a one year but nearly 3 people say they want to leave which would massively change the department. I feel it wouldn’t be the same. My mentor is leaving too And he’s been amazing but handed his notice in which is a shame.

I feel without all those things it really changes things. The head is also very firm about his vision for the school and it always feels like we’re being watched and kept an eye on and it makes it hard to truly love it.

What subject are you?

No-one can tell you what to do, but your mentor leaving is a big thing.

If you don't like it at the school, try another one. If you don't like the second school, maybe consider your options outside of being a classroom teacher.

Ultimately, I think hoping you will love your job is unlikely. I don't love my job. I like it, and it works well for me in terms of commute and finances, but if I didn't have to work, I'd leave tomorrow.

Maybe lower the bar, and think seriously about what your plan B actually is before making any decisions?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No-one can tell you what to do, but your mentor leaving is a big thing.

If you don't like it at the school, try another one. If you don't like the second school, maybe consider your options outside of being a classroom teacher.

Ultimately, I think hoping you will love your job is unlikely. I don't love my job. I like it, and it works well for me in terms of commute and finances, but if I didn't have to work, I'd leave tomorrow.

Maybe lower the bar, and think seriously about what your plan B actually is before making any decisions?

My mentor leaving is a huge one. He’s genuinely a huge support and very helpful when I’ve needed quick assistance and I know not all schools do that. So it’s pretty upsetting. Rumours had it he was leaving but he spoke to me about it and I said you have to do what’s best and he said yeah I’m definitely going I’m not changing how I feel. The team isn’t the same within him
My mentor leaving is a huge one. He’s genuinely a huge support and very helpful when I’ve needed quick assistance and I know not all schools do that. So it’s pretty upsetting. Rumours had it he was leaving but he spoke to me about it and I said you have to do what’s best and he said yeah I’m definitely going I’m not changing how I feel. The team isn’t the same within him

Do you know who would take over being your mentor? I feel that's very important. With 3 staff potentially leaving you could be left pretty high and dry- I think under the NQT program you could muddle through but for ECT you need a dedicated mentor who will fulfill all the requirements.

I think you have to balance up your financial situation and all the rest of it though- if you want to leave at Christmas, you'd likely have to hand in your notice before you found another job. What would you do if you didn't find something for January?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Do you know who would take over being your mentor? I feel that's very important. With 3 staff potentially leaving you could be left pretty high and dry- I think under the NQT program you could muddle through but for ECT you need a dedicated mentor who will fulfill all the requirements.

I think you have to balance up your financial situation and all the rest of it though- if you want to leave at Christmas, you'd likely have to hand in your notice before you found another job. What would you do if you didn't find something for January?

So the role is till June. My mentor said the place is there for me if he goes but my new mentor would be the team director who unfortunately gets very frustrated with us. He does mean well I think. But it doesn’t come across that way he can be a bit short if we need to make a change or if say for example a student is HA and would suit his method of teaching as we did some moving around. He refuses. Says he can’t do it. It’s too much. But he’s the director of the team. I know me as his mentee would be too much for him. He would simply make me feel so down.

I’m really upset my mentor is going but I guess it’s just one of the few things that makes me reconsider what I want
(edited 2 years ago)
So the role is till June.

Wait, why didn’t you say this in all of your posts about pay? If you aren’t contracted for the entire academic year then your pay will be pro rata’d down…

I do think you should consider quitting. I don’t think you’re having a very good time at this school. You show absolute disdain for the “naff” kids and things will only get worse with an unsupportive mentor. If you are given a poor ECT report or reference by a new, less patient mentor then you are likely to find it difficult to secure your next teaching job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending