The Student Room Group

I have no photo ID

I lost my student card last week, which I would normally use to get around the place and most importantly, collect packages. I ordered a new one and its just arrived, but I found out that I can't collect it if I don't have any photo ID, (e.g provisional license, passport.) I cant go about getting a provisional license because I'd need to collect it from the uni, which I cant do because I haven't got a student card. I also can't have it sent home and then mailed here, because I don't have my own letterbox. What am I meant to do?

Scroll to see replies

Get a passport...?

Who the heck doesn't have a passport...

Edit
Since people are constantly attributing this to travel I thought I should mention that our passport is the equivalent to a citizenship card/etc, that proves you're a citizen on paper. Seems very useful to have and carry around with you 24/7 (I do at least.)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Callicious
Get a passport...?

I don't :smile: Plus a lot of people might not at the moment given we haven't been able to travel very freely recently :tongue: Passports are an expensive way to go about photo ID if you don't need one anyway!

OP, I'd go and talk to your uni - you can't be the only person in this situation, perhaps they'd let you collect it with evidence of your birth certificate or something (that's how I've recently got around someone wanting to see my passport)
Original post by Lemur14
I don't :smile: Plus a lot of people might not at the moment given we haven't been able to travel very freely recently :tongue: Passports are an expensive way to go about photo ID if you don't need one anyway!

OP, I'd go and talk to your uni - you can't be the only person in this situation, perhaps they'd let you collect it with evidence of your birth certificate or something (that's how I've recently got around someone wanting to see my passport)

They're expensive? o.O I only paid £80-ish for mine and it lasts 10 years...

The OP could also try and use their Uni account- I've collected parcels like that, though it often takes a bit of convincing and the online portal should have a photo of them and all their relevant information. The local posties accept my Uni login for 18+ goods (just have to pop the phone, login to EUCLID and show 'em I'm a student.)

The OP could also try and use their Uni account- I've collected parcels like that, though it often takes a bit of convincing and the online portal should have a photo of them and all their relevant information. The local posties accept my Uni login for 18+ goods (just have to pop the phone, login to EUCLID and show 'em I'm a student.)

Yes compared to other photo ID, eg. driving license is £34 and equally lasts 10 years (plus iirc doesn't require all the extra stuff like someone from particular professions to sign to say you're you or similar which can be a pain for a uni student who has just moved)
Original post by lemur14
yes compared to other photo id, eg. Driving license is £34 and equally lasts 10 years (plus iirc doesn't require all the extra stuff like someone from particular professions to sign to say you're you or similar which can be a pain for a uni student who has just moved)

i can get a provisional driving license for £34?!
edit:
"be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away"

mmm I was close but not that close :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Get a passport...?

read the post fella
Original post by Anonymous
read the post fella

I did, hence why I suggested getting one.
Reply 8
I did, hence why I suggested getting one.

a passport would get sent to the uni, which i cant collect.
a passport would get sent to the uni, which i cant collect.

You could try this
https://usebounce.com/blog/how-to-receive-a-package-without-giving-an-address
I lost my student card last week, which I would normally use to get around the place and most importantly, collect packages. I ordered a new one and its just arrived, but I found out that I can't collect it if I don't have any photo ID, (e.g provisional license, passport.) I cant go about getting a provisional license because I'd need to collect it from the uni, which I cant do because I haven't got a student card. I also can't have it sent home and then mailed here, because I don't have my own letterbox. What am I meant to do?

I understand your frustration due to family issues, I have 3 birth certificates and a Provisional License in a different name as well as my qualifications in another name. Speak to you uni, most of the time when I have ID issues, I speak to the source and explain my situation. Also I don't have a passport, no need and also adds to the minefield that is my ID. Good Luck :smile:

do you not realise that £80 is a significant amount of money? Not everyone can afford to travel abroad full stop, there's no reason to spend £80 if you're not going abroad.
How about a scan copy of your passport? You could get your parents to do that. Or of your provisional license. I’m not sure if that would work, but worth a try
Ask for a replacement student id from uni
Original post by hungrysalamander
Ask for a replacement student id from uni

They have already ordered a replacement, but can’t collect it without a form of ID
They have already ordered a replacement, but can’t collect it without a form of ID

Rookie mistake. Now they're in a no id paradox with no way out. I guess OP could send a provisional license home and collect it from there.
Original post by Pinez772
do you not realise that £80 is a significant amount of money? Not everyone can afford to travel abroad full stop, there's no reason to spend £80 if you're not going abroad.

I'd hardly call £80 significant. It's obviously something, but I'd hardly call putting that something into a passport (that lasts 10 years, so £8 a year) a bad call, especially since you might decide to travel at some point in the future and would then have to deal with the hassle when you do.

Pre-empting the effort required when the requirement comes, I say. The average person does travel abroad at least once within 10 years according to some cursory googling, and I feel sad for the person that doesn't.
Get a passport...?

I don't ... I don't plan on going abroad again [nothing to do with coronavirus]
Original post by Muttley79
I don't ... I don't plan on going abroad again [nothing to do with coronavirus]

o.o

Is there a reason why? (putting aside the fact that the French are abroad- Monty Python has taught me to steer away from their taunting.)
o.o

Is there a reason why? (putting aside the fact that the French are abroad- Monty Python has taught me to steer away from their taunting.)

I decided there was such a lot of this country I don't know - family have food allergies so it's much easier here.

Quick Reply

Latest