The Student Room Group

Which subject is best to drop for a-level to get into vet uni's

I want to become a vet and have taken biology, chemistry, maths and spanish for a-levels and have been told (by multiple people) to drop a subject (either maths or spanish) but I can't decide which one to drop. I got 8's in both subjects at gcse and have yet to been given my predicted grades. my original plan was to take maths up until AS and drop it then but have since looked at some uni requirements and they want maths/physics as well as bio and chem. Any advice on what I should do? Is spanish a good a-level to have on my application or is maths better?
Original post by bertie.sprag
I want to become a vet and have taken biology, chemistry, maths and spanish for a-levels and have been told (by multiple people) to drop a subject (either maths or spanish) but I can't decide which one to drop. I got 8's in both subjects at gcse and have yet to been given my predicted grades. my original plan was to take maths up until AS and drop it then but have since looked at some uni requirements and they want maths/physics as well as bio and chem. Any advice oMathn what I should do? Is spanish a good a-level to have on my application or is maths better?

I think you have answered your own question, Maths will be considered a more desirable subject for your vets course over Spanish, and yes unless you can guarantee to get at least an A in Spanish I would suggest you drop it, as AAA looks better to me than AAAB or less than B, but it also gives you more time to share between the important subjects.
To be absolutely sure email the department you intend applying to and be guided by them....good luck you seem on track to get decent A levels.
Original post by BrainDrain
I think you have answered your own question, Maths will be considered a more desirable subject for your vets course over Spanish, and yes unless you can guarantee to get at least an A in Spanish I would suggest you drop it, as AAA looks better to me than AAAB or less than B, but it also gives you more time to share between the important subjects.
To be absolutely sure email the department you intend applying to and be guided by them....good luck you seem on track to get decent A levels.

I disagree, as long as you have biology and chemistry your 3rd subject can be whatever you want it to be, neither subject is more “desirable” (unless you are applying to Cambridge then maths would be more desirable). You should pick the subject you are more likely to get an A in and if you are equally good at both subjects then choose the one you enjoy the most.
Original post by PurpleVet
I disagree, as long as you have biology and chemistry your 3rd subject can be whatever you want it to be, neither subject is more “desirable” (unless you are applying to Cambridge then maths would be more desirable). You should pick the subject you are more likely to get an A in and if you are equally good at both subjects then choose the one you enjoy the most.

If you read the OPs post some universities require maths/physics as well as biology and chemistry.
Do maths if spanish is your first language, otherwise it should be fine for vet schools apart from Cambridge but I'm more knowledgable in medicine and dentistry.
Original post by BrainDrain
If you read the OPs post some universities require maths/physics as well as biology and chemistry.

I have been through the application process last year and the only uni that asks for physics/maths is Cambridge
Have you actually checked the entry requirements for these courses on a range of Uni websites ....?

Nottingham - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/vet/study-with-us/undergraduate/index.aspx
Aberysthwyth - https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/vet-sci/bvsc-vet/
Surrey - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/veterinary-medicine-and-science

Also look at Vet Nursing (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/vet-nursing-biovet-science/bsc-veterinary-nursing-and-companion-animal-behav/), Animal Science, Equine Science, Zoology, Wildlife Conservation etc.
I would say do Spanish because it is a more interesting subject than Maths. Plus, 3 sciences is quite extreme, especially since you only need two.

But do what you think is right and trust your gut.
Reply 8
Original post by bertie.sprag
I want to become a vet and have taken biology, chemistry, maths and spanish for a-levels and have been told (by multiple people) to drop a subject (either maths or spanish) but I can't decide which one to drop. I got 8's in both subjects at gcse and have yet to been given my predicted grades. my original plan was to take maths up until AS and drop it then but have since looked at some uni requirements and they want maths/physics as well as bio and chem. Any advice on what I should do? Is spanish a good a-level to have on my application or is maths better?

The only two unis that stated that they prefer a science were Cambridge and Glasgow. I emailed Glasgow to ask and they said modern foreign languages and soft sciences were given the same weighting. So Cambridge is the only one that prefers maths/physics and I think that is mainly related to their admissions test as has a lot if maths/physics content.

So unless you are set on Cambridge I would say apply to the subject you think you are likely to do better in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending