The Student Room Group

internships while looking for msaters

right now im a final year student and I'm currently considering doing a masters, however I am worried that as I am not yet admitted to a master's course, that I am technically not in my penultimate year. Which I'm assuming is a requirement for most internships. Should I state in my applications that I'm looking for a masters?

My other option is to do a integrated masters on my course. Which is better?
Original post by obo obae
right now im a final year student and I'm currently considering doing a masters, however I am worried that as I am not yet admitted to a master's course, that I am technically not in my penultimate year. Which I'm assuming is a requirement for most internships. Should I state in my applications that I'm looking for a masters?

My other option is to do a integrated masters on my course. Which is better?

Many internships will let final years apply. 8/9 BBs are this way (DB is the exception. Although GS and BAML I'm unsure about). Some other firms will let final years apply too.

Although you probably should've thought about this earlier, it's getting pretty late in the season.

For the firms that don't let final years apply, all you need to do is indicate you're planning a masters on your CV and bump your graduation date by 1 year to stop autorejections.

As for what masters to do, an MFin at a target (LBS, Ox, LSE > Imperial) will give you the most optionality. But an integrated masters is cheaper, so up to you.
Reply 2
>My other option is to do a integrated masters on my course. Which is better?

depends entirely on what uni you're currently at. There are many unis where a masters is not worth the price
Reply 3
Original post by anyIBers
>My other option is to do a integrated masters on my course. Which is better?

depends entirely on what uni you're currently at. There are many unis where a masters is not worth the price

University of Leeds physics
Reply 4
Original post by anonuser99
Many internships will let final years apply. 8/9 BBs are this way (DB is the exception. Although GS and BAML I'm unsure about). Some other firms will let final years apply too.

Although you probably should've thought about this earlier, it's getting pretty late in the season.

For the firms that don't let final years apply, all you need to do is indicate you're planning a masters on your CV and bump your graduation date by 1 year to stop autorejections.

As for what masters to do, an MFin at a target (LBS, Ox, LSE > Imperial) will give you the most optionality. But an integrated masters is cheaper, so up to you.

Would you say most of the spots for IB are already gone, I understand there is only a month left for most of these banks.
Original post by obo obae
Would you say most of the spots for IB are already gone, I understand there is only a month left for most of these banks.

No, I wouldn't say that. I would say that they will be in about 1-2 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending