The Student Room Group

Help

I have stupidly posted my personal statement in chat for feedback. After around 8 minutes I edited my post as someone pointed out that sharing personal statements is risky. I didn't knew about plagiarism in personal statements and my personal statement was also already submitted. I have google keywords in my ps and I couldn't find any results on google...plagiarism checker apps also says that my ps is original...what should I do? I cannot rewrite it because It's already submitted.
Wait, so you submitted your PS and then posted it to the chat for feedback? If so you’ll be fine as a chat group isn’t an open place a plagiarism checker would look in. If anyone decides to steal your ideas and put it in theirs and then submit it, they will be flagged not you.

If you did post it to the group before submitting, how soon after was it submitted? Because if it was quite soon after I doubt anyone has had the time to take your phrases and put it into their PS and submit it. Plagiarism checkers will look for word for word copying in the form of sentences, not just a couple of phrases or terms.

The person who told you to be careful is just looking out for you I’d say.
Reply 2
Original post by JasmineAcademic
Wait, so you submitted your PS and then posted it to the chat for feedback? If so you’ll be fine as a chat group isn’t an open place a plagiarism checker would look in. If anyone decides to steal your ideas and put it in theirs and then submit it, they will be flagged not you.

If you did post it to the group before submitting, how soon after was it submitted? Because if it was quite soon after I doubt anyone has had the time to take your phrases and put it into their PS and submit it. Plagiarism checkers will look for word for word copying in the form of sentences, not just a couple of phrases or terms.

The person who told you to be careful is just looking out for you I’d say.

As soon as someone told me that my personal statement was at risk I deleted my personal statement from the post and soon after I submit it to hopefully be the first one before anyone else (my ps was finished anyways...and I couldn't afford to rewrite it because it took me months to write it all)
Original post by Ash_AFR
As soon as someone told me that my personal statement was at risk I deleted my personal statement from the post and soon after I submit it to hopefully be the first one before anyone else (my ps was finished anyways...and I couldn't afford to rewrite it because it took me months to write it all)

Ahh you’ll be fine then!

If they decided to take a screenshot and steal your ideas that’s on them and risking their own application. You won’t have any issues.
Reply 4
Original post by Ash_AFR

I am costantly having this feeling of butterflies in the stomach for fear of being flagged by UCAS...Year 2 is already stressful on its own and this in addition to my stresses is just making me crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest