The Student Room Group

what is considered a 'safe' choice?

my lowest uni entry requirement is AAA, am predicted 3 A* but not confident I could do that....have I been too ambitious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivyxue49
my lowest uni entry requirement is AAA, am predicted 3 A* but not confident I could do that....have I been too ambitious?

How big a disaster would you have to experience not to get AAA?

Are there any universities with requirements below AAA that you would be happy to attend?
Reply 2

I was in the same position as you, 3A* and unsure how safe to make my choices. I ended up making AAA(Southampton) the lowest and got an offer for it in 3 days(entry 2022). I think its worth thinking about if you would even want to go to a uni, i dont think theres much point putting something as a safety if you dont want to go to it. Clearing also exists although im not sure how reliable this would be as a back-up. Imo apply to places you want to go and go from there.
hope this helps
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm predicted 4A*s + A* EPQ and I put down an A*AA/ A*AB w A EPQ uni as my safety (not really but it is what it is). I just felt on a bad day I could achieve those grades so I put that down as my safety.
If you are not feeling confident about A*A*A* then I'd suggest you put in your UCAS application with 4 choices now, and leave one choice blank.
Depending on how confident you are feeling just after Christmas, you can add that final choice before 26 January - either another AAA choice, or AAB if you think you need that fail-safe.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
If you are not feeling confident about A*A*A* then I'd suggest you put in your UCAS application with 4 choices now, and leave one choice blank.
Depending on how confident you are feeling just after Christmas, you can add that final choice before 26 January - either another AAA choice, or AAB if you think you need that fail-safe.

sent my application off today with 5 choices, school wouldn't let me apply with 4 and then add another for some reason :C, i still have two weeks to change my options though
(edited 2 years ago)
sent my application off today with 5 choices, school wouldn't let me apply with 4 and then add another for some reason :C, i still two weeks to change my options though

That's unacceptable by your school. They need a *******ing.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
That's unacceptable by your school. They need a *******ing.

lolol when i asked the careers lady she looked at me like 'how did you know you could do that' and said no anyway.
lolol when i asked the careers lady she looked at me like 'how did you know you could do that' and said no anyway.

You can do it anyway - did you realise that?
You just apply for 4 choices - and YOU add the 5th one later via UCAS Hub.
You school can't force you to apply for 5 choices now - what are they going to do, beat you up until you add it?

Except that she doesn't have the power to dictate to you. You pay for the application...
Reply 10
You school can't force you to apply for 5 choices now - what are they going to do, beat you up until you add it?

too late now, they've sent off my application already though i still have two weeks to change my options

can’t the school just not submit the application to ucas and send it back to them?
Original post by heccyeah
can’t the school just not submit the application to ucas and send it back to them?

Yes - but what are they going to do then, refuse to let one of their own students apply to University?
The school careers teacher is negligent in not understanding the advantages of a phased application. It's as bad as a Maths teacher not knowing long division.
too late now, they've sent off my application already though i still have two weeks to change my options

You really ought to make a formal complaint. This person isnt fit to be doing the job they are doing. Unfortunately we see so many cases on here where schools havent properly advised students. Things like accepting Business studies and Economics together which some leading universities dont accept. That is just one example. BTECs in pubic services and travel and tourism are often not accepted by leading universities. The Welsh Bac is plugged relentlessy in Wales but isnt accepted by many leading universities in England.
Yes - but what are they going to do then, refuse to let one of their own students apply to University?

presumably wait until they added a 5th?
Original post by swanseajack1
You really ought to make a formal complaint. This person isnt fit to be doing the job they are doing. Unfortunately we see so many cases on here where schools havent properly advised students. Things like accepting Business studies and Economics together which some leading universities dont accept. That is just one example. BTECs in pubic services and travel and tourism are often not accepted by leading universities. The Welsh Bac is plugged relentlessy in Wales but isnt accepted by many leading universities in England.

And don't get me started on 'WJEC Level 3 Criminology is the same as an A level'.....
Reply 17
Original post by swanseajack1

i'm not too bothered, i'd love to go to all of the unis i've applied too though they're all a bit risky and will require future me to work my socks off. they also reformatted my personal statement so it's all one big block text even though i wasn't over the line limit...
Reply 18
i'm not too bothered, i'd love to go to all of the unis i've applied too though they're all a bit risky and will require future me to work my socks off. they also reformatted my personal statement so it's all one big block text even though i wasn't over the line limit...

Without asking? My school also didn't ever mention phased applications but they always asked me before changing anything on Ucas.
Reply 19
Original post by Skiwi
Without asking? My school also didn't ever mention phased applications but they always asked me before changing anything on Ucas.

nope, they said they had no issues with my form and ps, obviously they did LOL and didnt tell me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending