The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Bother applying to ICL?

Hey,

I will be applying for 2022 entry to hopefully pursue Aerospace Engineering at uni. I have had Imperial as kind of my "dream" uni for quite some time now, although having solid backups knowing the difficulty of getting in. I am predicted an A* in Maths and Design/Technology, and a C in physics. I just figured out today that I need an A* in physics to apply to ICL with only 3 A Levels. The reason for the lower predicted grade isn't my ability, rather due to spending time on other subjects and extracurriculars. I have since Year 12, fixed that, getting A's in class tests and A in a September mock our school did. What is worthwhile doing to raise my predicted within school, do I have time to raise this to an A* by November/December, and even if it isn't raised, is it worth applying? I have some pretty compelling extracurriculars and skills, just the physics grade holding me back.

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
This might not be what you want to hear but I would say if you can't get your grades up then no? However, depending on how your school does things I think you have the time to get your predicted grades up to A*A*A* - you could ask to do a retake of the mock (I know a fair amount of schools that allow this) or ask them to reconsider (though I think the former is better than the latter). There are lots of other amazing places for Engineering so don't get yourself too down depending on how things go!

Best of luck with everything!!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
If you dont meet the grades you will almost certainly be rejected by Imperial. Concentrate on getting your grade up. It will be far more useful than wasting time on extra curricular activities.
ICL is a chemical company.
Imperial College, University of London is known as 'Imperial' for exactly this reason
Reply 4
I'm not sure why you are not getting predicted an A* as you have an A in your mock which since it was in September was probably based on AS content, so A is the highest you can get anyway. I got an A in my mock at the end of year 12 and got predicted an A* pretty much just based on that. My class attainment was an A throughout year 12 tho.
Reply 5
Original post by aniwah
This might not be what you want to hear but I would say if you can't get your grades up then no? However, depending on how your school does things I think you have the time to get your predicted grades up to A*A*A* - you could ask to do a retake of the mock (I know a fair amount of schools that allow this) or ask them to reconsider (though I think the former is better than the latter). There are lots of other amazing places for Engineering so don't get yourself too down depending on how things go!

Best of luck with everything!!

I appreciate the honesty and am open to the very likely result of rejection. My main question at the minute is how to get the grade up in a short matter of time. I actually have another mock, in November. I feel like if I manage to get an A in this, (results are released after a week only), then I should be sorted. And absolutely, I am considering other options too and am excited at the prospect of getting into any uni! Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
If you dont meet the grades you will almost certainly be rejected by Imperial. Concentrate on getting your grade up. It will be far more useful than wasting time on extra curricular activities.

Yeah so what exactly should I do to get the grade up. Ask for extra work etc? And the extracurricular activities I do are mainly unrelated entirely to some form of academic scheme of work, more large personal projects etc. However I certainly recognise the importance of academics over it
Original post by jray204
Yeah so what exactly should I do to get the grade up. Ask for extra work etc? And the extracurricular activities I do are mainly unrelated entirely to some form of academic scheme of work, more large personal projects etc. However I certainly recognise the importance of academics over it

I dont know if you really can. It might just be a case of accepting the situation unless you can convince you teachers to improve your grade and concentrating all your time on achieving it. Imperial is very difficult to get into and more get rejected than accepted. Even meeting the grades often isnt enough but without meeting them your chances arent much better than 0.
Reply 8
Original post by Cs115
I'm not sure why you are not getting predicted an A* as you have an A in your mock which since it was in September was probably based on AS content, so A is the highest you can get anyway. I got an A in my mock at the end of year 12 and got predicted an A* pretty much just based on that. My class attainment was an A throughout year 12 tho.

The reason is due to my Year 12 Mock. Our entire year suffered awfully in the Year 12 June Mock and averaged an E grade. This was because of a last minute exam board change. Most people got under a D, and very very few got a C/B. Including the brightest students! I got a D, totally unimpressive and quite surprising my predicted got lifted so high again. We had a September mock as a replacement to the June one, to sort of make up for it. I got an A. We have done a few class tests in which I have been getting A's and coming up to a November Mock. I hope if I do well in this it'd be reasonable to ask for an A*? I haven't actually discussed this yet with my physics teachers but I have a time next week to discuss uni with them so I shall bring it up then. And congrats on the A! Sounds great
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont know if you really can. It might just be a case of accepting the situation unless you can convince you teachers to improve your grade and concentrating all your time on achieving it. Imperial is very difficult to get into and more get rejected than accepted. Even meeting the grades often isnt enough but without meeting them your chances arent much better than 0.

Alright will discuss it with my teachers further, thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by jray204
The reason is due to my Year 12 Mock. Our entire year suffered awfully in the Year 12 June Mock and averaged an E grade. This was because of a last minute exam board change. Most people got under a D, and very very few got a C/B. Including the brightest students! I got a D, totally unimpressive and quite surprising my predicted got lifted so high again. We had a September mock as a replacement to the June one, to sort of make up for it. I got an A. We have done a few class tests in which I have been getting A's and coming up to a November Mock. I hope if I do well in this it'd be reasonable to ask for an A*? I haven't actually discussed this yet with my physics teachers but I have a time next week to discuss uni with them so I shall bring it up then. And congrats on the A! Sounds great

I think yeah given the last minute change was out of your control and everything the exam you sat wasn't really fair. I'd like to think if you did good on the November mock they should move you up, given as well that your university choice depends on the grade which my school takes into account when predicting grades.

Quick Reply