The Student Room Group

Ucas Maths

I’m applying to do maths,I’m taking both the mat and TMUA.
I’ve got 4A* predictions (Further maths and maths)

My choices are
Oxford
Imperial
Durham
Manchester
Queen Mary

I’m wondering if Queen Mary is a suitable safety for me.

Also originally I was planning to apply to Warwick instead of Manchester however knowing that if I do poorly in the Mat that’ll leave me with almost no options.

Is Kings college a better alternative than Manchester?
Bump
Queen Mary is certainly a safe option for you. It is very difficult to say wheter one university is better than another as it comes down to personal choice and circumstances.
Original post by Student 999
I’m applying to do maths,I’m taking both the mat and TMUA.
I’ve got 4A* predictions (Further maths and maths)

My choices are
Oxford
Imperial
Durham
Manchester
Queen Mary

I’m wondering if Queen Mary is a suitable safety for me.

Also originally I was planning to apply to Warwick instead of Manchester however knowing that if I do poorly in the Mat that’ll leave me with almost no options.

Is Kings college a better alternative than Manchester?

Manchester is the better then Warwick in national ranking and world ranking tbh but like not queen marry you could have pick kings instead of queen marry
Bristol and bath are also considered great for maths btw.
Realistically what’s the chances of me getting rejected by Manchester and Durham right now, as I feel like I should change queen Mary with something different
Realistically what’s the chances of me getting rejected by Manchester and Durham right now, as I feel like I should change queen Mary with something different

Durham is quite difficult to get into but wih 4 A*s your likely to get an offer and I think your highly likely to get an offer from Manchester
The usual advice for your 5 choices is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a vital subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year. Even with top predictions, its risky applying to A* Unis and especially on London - they will be swamped with appications and spreading your net a bit wider geographically means you are more likely to get a range of offer. And btw, QMUL is in Bethnal Green, which is not the best area of London.

Suggestions :
Bath : https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/mathematical-sciences/
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/undergraduate/
Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/mathematical-sciences/undergraduate/our-degree-programmes/
Sussex - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/maths/ugstudy/prospectus
Original post by swanseajack1
Durham is quite difficult to get into but wih 4 A*s your likely to get an offer and I think your highly likely to get an offer from Manchester

With knowing if you were in my position would you change Queen Mary to a more competitive uni as a choice
With knowing if you were in my position would you change Queen Mary to a more competitive uni as a choice

It is very difficult to recommend universities as everybody is different. We are different in our likes and dislikes of places and the kind of Maths people study. As an example Lancaster is an extremely good university if you want a course that doesnt offer Mechanics. Bath is a very good Maths university who would likely make you an offer. Warwick to me is probably a better option than Manchester and tends to make a large amount of offers.

Only you can look at he different universities and decided whether they are for you. You have picked 2 fairly small cities and 3 very large ones. Which is right for you as you have to be somewhere for 3 years and frankly only you can decide that.

Do you want to be in a very large city or an out town university in a smaller city. Do you prefer Pure Maths, Mechanics os Staistics. Only you know that not anybody else.
Original post by swanseajack1
It is very difficult to recommend universities as everybody is different. We are different in our likes and dislikes of places and the kind of Maths people study. As an example Lancaster is an extremely good university if you want a course that doesnt offer Mechanics. Bath is a very good Maths university who would likely make you an offer. Warwick to me is probably a better option than Manchester and tends to make a large amount of offers.

Only you can look at he different universities and decided whether they are for you. You have picked 2 fairly small cities and 3 very large ones. Which is right for you as you have to be somewhere for 3 years and frankly only you can decide that.

Do you want to be in a very large city or an out town university in a smaller city. Do you prefer Pure Maths, Mechanics os Staistics. Only you know that not anybody else.

I’m only looking for pure mathematics, I don’t have a preference on either staying in London or moving out, I guess my main criteria is very good reputation/ job prospects, which brings me back to the problem that since I’m highly likely to get an offer from Manchester shouldn’t I aim higher instead of Queen mary
I’m only looking for pure mathematics, I don’t have a preference on either staying in London or moving out, I guess my main criteria is very good reputation/ job prospects, which brings me back to the problem that since I’m highly likely to get an offer from Manchester shouldn’t I aim higher instead of Queen mary

I would put places like Lancaster, Bath, Bristol and Exeter above Queen Mary and all make high levels of offers but only you can decide what is right for you.
Reply 12
I applied for maths with 4A*s predicted as well.
I applied to cambridge imperial bath warwick and ucl

I put bath as my safety (although its not really a safety) because It's 3 grades below my predicted and I feel that I should be able to get an A* in A level maths on a bad day. So your safety should be what you think you can get on a bad day. I was going to apply to durham instead of UCL but I'd like to live in London. Warwick apparently is second best for maths after Oxbridge so I was always going to put that. Im not doing the MAT so I applied to maths and cs at imperial which id prefer anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest