The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone recieved their SAQ yet? I applied on Tuesday and still havent recieved it yet
Original post by H4ttie03
Has anyone recieved their SAQ yet? I applied on Tuesday and still havent recieved it yet

During their SAQ webinar, the admissions director said to email them if you don't receive one within 48 hours of submitting your application. But do check your spam first!

I applied yesterday and got my SAQ on the same day.
1) Further maths, maths, economics, history, EPQ
2) Economics
3) 9999999988A
4) Cambridge is more maths-y and is greener/rural than Oford
5) ECAA
6) Books, some online courses, work experience, competitions
7) Hopefully go into development economics
8) St John's

I applied to St John's and got mine, but took a week I think
As a last year reject, I have some brief tips to not get rejected!:

- Time management in admissions exam prep is crucial, like ABSOLUTELY crucial.
- Unfortunately, if you don't do 4 A-Levels, you're at a bit of a disadvantage (they won't tell you that).
- Do Further Maths if you're thinking of applying to Physical NatSci, my feedback literally said, whilst you're predicted 3 A*s, others were predicted 4 A*s including Further Maths.

Good luck! Stay positive, if you do get rejected, I promise you do get over it. Although, it's a real sweet spot for me even now.
Original post by liaoll
how important are predicted grades as long you meet the requirements

I think quite important but I think your admissions test and interview is more important
Original post by Anonymous

- Unfortunately, if you don't do 4 A-Levels, you're at a bit of a disadvantage (they won't tell you that).
- Do Further Maths if you're thinking of applying to Physical NatSci, my feedback literally said, whilst you're predicted 3 A*s, others were predicted 4 A*s including Further Maths.

Good luck! Stay positive, if you do get rejected, I promise you do get over it. Although, it's a real sweet spot for me even now.

May I ask where you think you went wrong with your application? I think the test will be the hardest part.
@Peterhouse Admissions - I was wondering, as applications will be mostly in by now, is it possible to say whether there had been a significant increase in application numbers again?

Last year, there were 450 applications for the course I applied to (Geography), when in other years there are around 300 (350 max).

I’m wondering how it will pan out this year?
Anyone applying to Girton?
Original post by fawzijurayev
May I ask where you think you went wrong with your application? I think the test will be the hardest part.

Firstly my admissions assessment:
- Completely screwed my timings up, ended up with about 1 minute left and 12 unanswered questions (MCQ). I also didn't prep which sections I wanted to do, and I did very little practice. Don't do this! More than ever they look at your score on this to filter out interview applicants.
- Not knowing about FM made it harder for me, frankly, I had no chance with just 3 A*s rather than 4 (for my particular course!). Most people DO get on with 3 A*s.
- I simply didn't read enough on how to apply!

I made tons of mistakes including these, and I own up to them! Hopefully you won't make the same ones :smile:
Original post by sararah04
During their SAQ webinar, the admissions director said to email them if you don't receive one within 48 hours of submitting your application. But do check your spam first!

Yeah I think I'll wait till tomorrow and if not then I'll email them
Firstly my admissions assessment:
- Completely screwed my timings up, ended up with about 1 minute left and 12 unanswered questions (MCQ). I also didn't prep which sections I wanted to do, and I did very little practice. Don't do this! More than ever they look at your score on this to filter out interview applicants.
- Not knowing about FM made it harder for me, frankly, I had no chance with just 3 A*s rather than 4 (for my particular course!). Most people DO get on with 3 A*s.
- I simply didn't read enough on how to apply!

I made tons of mistakes including these, and I own up to them! Hopefully you won't make the same ones :smile:

I have 2 A*s in maths and further maths and 2 As in physics and economics, will I therefore be a a disadvantage for engineering?
I have 2 A*s in maths and further maths and 2 As in physics and economics, will I therefore be a a disadvantage for engineering?

probably for the A in physics but I'm not too sure. I'm assuming cos it's engineering at Cambridge most people will have an A* in physics. You still have the admissions test to show you're better than the A suggests so it's not the end of the world.
@Peterhouse Admissions - I was wondering, as applications will be mostly in by now, is it possible to say whether there had been a significant increase in application numbers again?

Last year, there were 450 applications for the course I applied to (Geography), when in other years there are around 300 (350 max).

I’m wondering how it will pan out this year?

I really don't know, sorry! You'd be surprised how many applications come in in the last 24 hours.

I would expect overall numbers to increase, though - if you look at application numbers for the last 5 years, each year has seen an increase.

What about it I want to do a 4th a level in further maths but my school refused because they couldn't timetable it? Would I still be at a massive disadvantage for medicine?
What about it I want to do a 4th a level in further maths but my school refused because they couldn't timetable it? Would I still be at a massive disadvantage for medicine?

I don’t think so because in the SAQ they ask if there were any subjects that you wanted to do but couldn’t

You can mention it in your SAQ - which btw, I didn't do!
It's definitely not a disadvantage for medicine either!
Does the SAQ play a big part in whether youd be offered an interview or not?
Does the SAQ play a big part in whether youd be offered an interview or not?

Don’t think so because apart from the optional additional statement, it’s mostly just about which courses your doing for a level so you can’t really do anything about it

Latest

Trending

Trending