The Student Room Group

What Uni for engineering

I am predicted A*A*A
in maths physics and English language respectively.
I would like to do either Electrical and Electronic or Computer systems engineering at uni.
What unis are best for these subjects and what unis should I apply to with these predicted grades,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MackayS11287
I am predicted A*A*A
I would like to do either Electrical and Electronic or Computer systems engineering at uni.
What unis are best for these subjects and what unis should I apply to with these predicted grades,

Uni of Sheffield
I am predicted A*A*A

Oxbridge, bath, imperial, Durham, bristol, Manchester, Southampton, UCL
(edited 2 years ago)
I am predicted A*A*A

Also forgot Warwick
Original post by Laurence00
Also forgot Warwick

What unis have the best graduate prospects out of the ones you have mentioned.
What unis have the best graduate prospects out of the ones you have mentioned.

Oxford, Cambridge and imperial probably
Oxford and Cambridge are not good engineering schools, if you want to do EE you should look for a decent expoly staffed with people with lots of professional experience, connected to some major company, like Airbus, RR and such.
Any idea what you happen to be in to?

Also forgot Warwick

Neither Warwick nor UCL are that strong for engineering. While Warwick is strong for computer science this isn't the same as computer systems engineering. Don't really know much about Durham for engineering, which itself might be a suggestion they aren't as strong for it...

I am predicted A*A*A

Other than those two(/three) exceptions pointed out above, I mostly agree with the previous poster's suggestions.

Note that often the unis most heavily recruited by engineering firms are not necessarily at the "top of the league tables" or have extraordinarily high entry criteria. Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Loughborough all have very strong engineering programmes and are pretty heavily targeted by recruiters from engineering firms, so well worth considering, despite usually not featuring as high in the league tables or having as high entry criteria as those other unis.

Beyond those, Birmingham, Leeds, and Liverpool also have some strong engineering programmes (albeit, I don't know that they are specifically strong in EE).

Note lack of FM or a third STEM subject otherwise will likely make you less competitive for Oxbridge and Imperial (possibly ruling them out entirely).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Neither Warwick nor UCL are that strong for engineering. While Warwick is strong for computer science this isn't the same as computer systems engineering. Don't really know much about Durham for engineering, which itself might be a suggestion they aren't as strong for it...

Other than those two(/three) exceptions pointed out above, I mostly agree with the previous poster's suggestions.

Note that often the unis most heavily recruited by engineering firms are not necessarily at the "top of the league tables" or have extraordinarily high entry criteria. Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Loughborough all have very strong engineering programmes and are pretty heavily targeted by recruiters from engineering firms, so well worth considering, despite usually not featuring as high in the league tables or having as high entry criteria as those other unis.

Beyond those, Birmingham, Leeds, and Liverpool also have some strong engineering programmes (albeit, I don't know that they are specifically strong in EE).

Note lack of FM or a third STEM subject otherwise will likely make you less competitive for Oxbridge and Imperial (possibly ruling them out entirely).

Ok thanks for clarifying things however would you consider these choices strong universities for EEE
UCL or KCl
Warwrick
Southampton
Bristol
Loughborogh or Sheffield (either or as insurance options)
Ok thanks for clarifying things however would you consider these choices strong universities for EEE
UCL or KCl
Warwrick
Southampton
Bristol
Loughborogh or Sheffield (either or as insurance options)

KCL is also not well known for engineering...I don't know why you would pick any of UCL/KCL/Warwick for engineering personally. I'd suggest Manchester/Birmingham/Strathclyde/heriot-watt over them.

If you prefer those unis for whatever reason though then your options are fine. Out of those five Southampton and Bristol are the strongest for engineering (in general and for EE especially for Southampton) by a very wide margin though.
KCL is also not well known for engineering...I don't know why you would pick any of UCL/KCL/Warwick for engineering personally. I'd suggest Manchester/Birmingham/Strathclyde/heriot-watt over them.

If you prefer those unis for whatever reason though then your options are fine. Out of those five Southampton and Bristol are the strongest for engineering (in general and for EE especially for Southampton) by a very wide margin though.

This is absolute BS, an employer would take a UCL grad over a Herriot-Watt grad any day. Explains why UCL entry requirements are AAA and Herriot watts are BBC
(edited 2 years ago)
This is absolute BS, an employer would take a UCL grad over a Herriot watt grad any day. Explains why UCL entry requirements are AAA and Herriot watts are BBC

For engineering? No. Maybe for investment banking...

Engineering recruiters don't care about entry tariff criteria or league table rankings and care more about how the graduates they have hired from the unis previously have fared in their company as engineers. Grads from HW, Strathclyde, L'boro, Southampton etc are a lot better represented than UCL int he industry and engineering firms tend to target those unis for recruitment for a reason - because they don't care about the "prestige" of the uni but by the quality of the engineers they turn out. UCL has long been considered to be weak for engineering.

Some of these like FMaths ...
This is absolute BS, an employer would take a UCL grad over a Herriot-Watt grad any day. Explains why UCL entry requirements are AAA and Herriot watts are BBC

Sorry incorrect - UCL is not a strong choice for Engineering - you can't judge degrees by entry requirements.
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry incorrect - UCL is not a strong choice for Engineering - you can't judge degrees by entry requirements.

why did it rank so high in https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/electrical-and-electronic-engineering

No sensible person trusts rankings - they cannot be replicated so are false judges of quality.

Look for a year in industry ...
Original post by Muttley79
No sensible person trusts rankings - they cannot be replicated so are false judges of quality.

Look for a year in industry ...

Is a year in industry better than doing an Meng

Do both if you can.

A year in industry is definitely very valuable, although in terms of the MEng thing if you want to achieve CEng status you'll need to do an MEng or do a BEng and later do an accredited MSc, normally (the alternative is an awkward professional portfolio route to prove you have done masters level work). Note though that CEng status isn't really required for employment by any means at any point in your career as an engineering I think, but could be a nice benefit to have as you progress in your career. There's no reason not to look for both among your other considerations for options.

But any work experience in the degree is likely more valuable than where you actually do the degree - and a year in industry is a year of work experience on top of any other summer placements/internships etc you do. So definitely worthwhile if available. Note however it is often possible to arrange an "ad-hoc" year in industry even if it's not part of the formal course structure. This would be done after you started in the degree though. So even if it's not an e.g. "BEng/MEng X Engineering with Year in Industry" you can still often do a year in industry via an interruption of studies, with your university's sign off. This may be more likely to be possible at some unis than others.
A year in industry is definitely very valuable, although in terms of the MEng thing if you want to achieve CEng status you'll need to do an MEng or do a BEng and later do an accredited MSc, normally (the alternative is an awkward professional portfolio route to prove you have done masters level work). Note though that CEng status isn't really required for employment by any means at any point in your career as an engineering I think, but could be a nice benefit to have as you progress in your career. There's no reason not to look for both among your other considerations for options.

But any work experience in the degree is likely more valuable than where you actually do the degree - and a year in industry is a year of work experience on top of any other summer placements/internships etc you do. So definitely worthwhile if available. Note however it is often possible to arrange an "ad-hoc" year in industry even if it's not part of the formal course structure. This would be done after you started in the degree though. So even if it's not an e.g. "BEng/MEng X Engineering with Year in Industry" you can still often do a year in industry via an interruption of studies, with your university's sign off. This may be more likely to be possible at some unis than others.

ok here is just another question but is it worth having both a EEE course at Southampton as an option and the subsequent course with a foundation year as a safety option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending