The Student Room Group

ANSWER THE QUESTION DAMN YOUR EYES | a year 11 gyg

Hey guys! I’m Icosagon - I’m in Year 11 (*screams*) and I’ve decided to make a my first ever GYG to motivate myself to be productive and to also create a personal log of this crazy year!

5D916BFF-B2B5-4F58-BF81-05839E60DFD2.jpeg
^actual picture of my last brain cell in an exam

What subjects am I taking?The regulars:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
English Literature
English Language

My choices (not very good choices I’ve realised):
Geography
Art Textiles
Food Preparation and Nutrition
German

My favourite subjectsWell, it’s complicated. I love all my subjects (shocker) but there are some parts that I absolutely detest (yes, I’m looking at you poetry anthology ).

Rather than elaborately explain what I like and dislike about each subject, I’ve created 2 tier lists to present what I feel about each subject, the former tier list being how much I enjoy them and the latter being how ‘good’ I am at them.

Spoiler

Stuff I like to do in my (non-existent) freetimeWatch my favourite shows and films
Listen to music
Edit videos
Annoy my brother
Bake
Read
Annoy my brother again
Play badminton
Go swimming

Things I’d like to change from Year 10 I am TERRIBLE at writing essays in English Lit so I would love to improve my scores on that - I plan to do this by just writing tons of them and asking my teacher to mark them
Try harder and start revising earlier for topic tests
Make revision resources as I go along the year and as I finish each topic - I’m primarily making Anki flashcards as my revision resources, with a couple of posters for some difficult topics
Making my revision relaxed and spread out through the year rather than rushed and condensed a couple of weeks before my exams
Interacting more in my class and actually asking my teacher for help if I don’t understand something
Not zoning out in classes - always seems to happen in Geography agghhh

Updates

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like good goals to set yourself! Good luck, watching this :yy:
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Sounds like good goals to set yourself! Good luck, watching this :yy:

Thank you so much :smile:
Good luck! :hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by Chronoscope
Good luck! :hugs:

Thank you Chronoscope :jumphug:
Reply 5
Post #1 | Deutsch ist schwierig und Google Übersetzer ist mein Freund

Translation

Hello. I’m on my 5th week of Year 11 now and oh my gosh the time is flying away. I have piles and piles of homework and there always seems to be an exam coming up. But that’s just Year 11, I guess?!

I had a German listening and reading test today and I didn’t revise AT ALL. No vocab, no practise questions, nothing. I kinda hate that I did that because I had the whole weekend to revise for it but anyways. Gotta be more organised. I managed to come out with 70-something percent - not too happy.

Got a chemistry test coming up soon so that’s my main priority for this evening, as well as clearing up some maths doubts. I have no idea how Le Chatelier‘s Principle works so I probably should ask my teacher during some lunchtime (one good thing about Year 11 is that teachers give us priority because we‘re in our important year :biggrin:)

This is a whole lot of waffle so I’m sorry about that if you’re reading this haha. Writing all of your thoughts and tasks is quite calming and it makes me feel more organised though :biggrin:

Song in my head right now

(edited 2 years ago)
love the ghosts refrence
Reply 7
Original post by sdavies2051
love the ghosts refrence

YESSSSSS someone got it :awesome::rave:
Reply 8
Post #2 | Why does the weekend go by faster than my Geography lessons?

Hi again. Weekends go by too quickly. I tell myself I’ve got so much work to do during the weekend on Friday but then I blink and it’s Sunday night already :colonhash:

The chemistry test went pretty well. I could answer everything and I felt pretty good afterwards (even though I literally went over Le Chateliers Principle last minute in the morning lol). However, that good feeling was tarnished because we had a surprise maths test afterwards and I screwed it up BIG TIME. Guess I know what I need to work on :s-smilie:

School was alright today I guess. I’m not enjoying Geography and German much anymore for some reason so I’m not that motivated and I struggle to pay attention. Idk - something to work on.

Anyway, I feel like I was pretty productive after school today. I organised my textiles folder, finished some outstanding English work and also finished an essay (not homework but my own task and I’m going to ask my teacher to mark it :smile:) and I even managed to relax a bit on top of that! There’s ALWAYS a test or exam coming up though so lots of prep needed!

I feel like these updates are really boring and dull. I probably need to write them when I’m really cheerful or something lol. Cya.

Song on repeat rn

(edited 2 years ago)
Ahhhh i've missed different fonts on blog posts! very nice :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by flaurie
Ahhhh i've missed different fonts on blog posts! very nice :yep:

Thank you! A nice change from Arial… :biggrin:
Original post by Icosagon
Thank you! A nice change from Arial… :biggrin:

for sure! there used to be a button to change the font on here but i don't think it survived the swap to TSR's beta mode :emo:
Reply 12
Original post by flaurie
for sure! there used to be a button to change the font on here but i don't think it survived the swap to TSR's beta mode :emo:

That’s a shame :frown:
I actually managed to change the font by clicking preview when I wrote my post and there’s a option to change it :ahee:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys! I’m Icosagon - I’m in Year 11 (*screams*) and I’ve decided to make a my first ever GYG to motivate myself to be productive and to also create a personal log of this crazy year!

What subjects am I taking?The regulars:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
English Literature
English Language

My choices (not very good choices I’ve realised):
Geography
Art Textiles
Food Preparation and Nutrition
German

My favourite subjectsWell, it’s complicated. I love all my subjects (shocker) but there are some parts that I absolutely detest (yes, I’m looking at you poetry anthology ).

Rather than elaborately explain what I like and dislike about each subject, I’ve created 2 tier lists to present what I feel about each subject, the former tier list being how much I enjoy them and the latter being how ‘good’ I am at them.

Spoiler

Stuff I like to do in my (non-existent) freetimeWatch my favourite shows and films
Listen to music
Edit videos
Annoy my brother
Bake
Read
Annoy my brother again
Play badminton
Go swimming

Things I’d like to change from Year 10 I am TERRIBLE at writing essays in English Lit so I would love to improve my scores on that - I plan to do this by just writing tons of them and asking my teacher to mark them
Try harder and start revising earlier for topic tests
Make revision resources as I go along the year and as I finish each topic - I’m primarily making Anki flashcards as my revision resources, with a couple of posters for some difficult topics
Making my revision relaxed and spread out through the year rather than rushed and condensed a couple of weeks before my exams
Interacting more in my class and actually asking my teacher for help if I don’t understand something
Not zoning out in classes - always seems to happen in Geography agghhh

Updates

good luck summer:biggrin:
Reply 14
Post #3 - My love for bounds is as “boundless as the sea”

Lolz. You can see that studying Shakespeare’s elaborate punnage in Romeo and Juliet has influenced me. Update on one of my goals - I gave in that essay I wrote last week and my teacher gave me a 13/15! I’m so chuffed. :colondollar: We had to hand in another essay as homework today though and I’m pretty sure it isn’t as good - my lovely organisation skills led to me scribbling down a 3 pages of bland twaddle at midnight. :work: Oh well. I’m actually enjoying English and Romeo and Juliet now so that’s kinda nice.

I didn’t do much work today coz I can’t be bothered (of course I’m pushing all my revision for the three exams I have next week to the weekend) but I did do a hard maths question, from this website to be precise. OML I loved it - bounds are a favourite topic of mine and this has so many layers to it. I got it wrong at first because I didn’t think a bit it too much. I’m still not sure I’ve gotten it right but I’ve attached a pic of what I’ve done (not my first attempt haha). Maths is sick (not being sarcastic this time, I promise).

[scrollr]Cya laterrrrrrrrr [/scrollr]

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Post #3 - My love for bounds is as “boundless as the sea”

Lolz. You can see that studying Shakespeare’s elaborate punnage in Romeo and Juliet has influenced me. Update on one of my goals - I gave in that essay I wrote last week and my teacher gave me a 13/15! I’m so chuffed. :colondollar: We had to hand in another essay as homework today though and I’m pretty sure it isn’t as good - my lovely organisation skills led to me scribbling down a 3 pages of bland twaddle at midnight. :work: Oh well. I’m actually enjoying English and Romeo and Juliet now so that’s kinda nice.

I didn’t do much work today coz I can’t be bothered (of course I’m pushing all my revision for the three exams I have next week to the weekend) but I did do a hard maths question, from this website to be precise. OML I loved it - bounds are a favourite topic of mine and this has so many layers to it. I got it wrong at first because I didn’t think a bit it too much. I’m still not sure I’ve gotten it right but I’ve attached a pic of what I’ve done (not my first attempt haha). Maths is sick (not being sarcastic this time, I promise).

[scrollr]Cya laterrrrrrrrr [/scrollr]

Spoiler

that paper looks really hard i dont understand a word of it:getmecoat:
Reply 16
Original post by Wise Goldie
good luck summer:biggrin:

Thank you Goldie! :smile:
Original post by Wise Goldie
that paper looks really hard i dont understand a word of it:getmecoat:

That’s me for the majority of maths lol - but practice makes perfect I guess :redface:
omg hi!!! i didn't realise you were doing a gyg blog this year as well :smile: i would have tuned in earlier if I had lol! if you don't mind, would you tag me in your posts and updates? <3 and well done on your essay score! i love english, but hate writing essays >.< it's kind of a paradox haha. good luck with the tests you've got in the next week - I'm sure you'll do great <3 I was recently stampeded with a bunch of tests all at once and it sucked! try not to stress too much (or cram)
Reply 18
Original post by yemisi.ogun
omg hi!!! i didn't realise you were doing a gyg blog this year as well :smile: i would have tuned in earlier if I had lol! if you don't mind, would you tag me in your posts and updates? <3 and well done on your essay score! i love english, but hate writing essays >.< it's kind of a paradox haha. good luck with the tests you've got in the next week - I'm sure you'll do great <3 I was recently stampeded with a bunch of tests all at once and it sucked! try not to stress too much (or cram)

Hellllllooooo! Lolz I just randomly decided to make one (rather inspired from yours) - let‘s see how long I can keep it going :tongue: Of course I’ll tag you and thank you so much!
I feel the same way for English as well - I used to love it in Years 7 and 8 (mainly coz of creative writing :awesome:) but GCSEs kinda stopped that. Anyway, I’m starting to enjoy it more now!!
Year 11 has been just piles and piles of tests and exams which is a shock from Year 10 :lol: Hopefully we‘ll get used to it…
Thank you! I swear I plan to revise slowly and over a long period time but I ALWAYS end up resorting to last minute cramming. I’ll try my best though :redface:
Reply 19
My favourite revision resources - in edit
These things make revision a bit more bearable.

Science

(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending