The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm way too competitive: about UCAS

Sometimes I feel as though I should not post anything about the subjects I do, what course I want to do, why I'm doing it and the activities I've done for my personal statement simply out of fear that another student wandering around tsr who might happen to be applying for the same course, will end up using my information in their personal statement.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to tackle this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Trobetare
Sometimes I feel as though I would not post anything about the subjects I do, what subject I want to do, why I'm doing it and the activities I've done for my personal statement simply put of fear that another student wandering around tsr who might happen to be applying for the same course, will end up using my information in their personal statement.

I think your personal statement should be adapted enough to only represent you. Be specific and use generics alike but make it more difficult for people to adapt your ideas into their own statement. I wrote mine and the teachers said not one person could take anything from it because it just wouldn’t sound like them :smile:
Original post by tlewis04
I think your personal statement should be adapted enough to only represent you. Be specific and use generics alike but make it more difficult for people to adapt your ideas into their own statement. I wrote mine and the teachers said not one person could take anything from it because it just wouldn’t sound like them :smile:

Thank you so much! Now that I realise it, mine is pretty niche and I don't think people would do nor say the things in my personal statement.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you so much! Now that I realise it, mine is pretty niche and I don't think people would do nor say the things in my personal statement.

Some universities might interview applicants as well and ask questions about the personal statement, it is in everyone's best interest to be original asdfjs
I guess this paranoia came about because I've put a lot of work into my personal statement and UCAS in general right from the start of Year 12.
get off ye high horse not that deep x
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Some universities might interview applicants as well and ask questions about the personal statement, it is in everyone's best interest to be original asdfjs

Thank you! The courses I'm applying for don't offer interviews so it really is down to my personal statement. I'm just glad that it's representative and unique.

that doesn't really happen
Original post by yeye21
that doesn't really happen

:eek4: wait what

You’re very welcome. Also, if they copy then more fool them because if they can’t think up their own personal statement then that says something about them. At least you put the effort in to come up with your own. I wouldn’t worry. Mine was written as if I’d gone to formal classes apparently😹
Original post by username5814355
I guess this paranoia came about because I've put a lot of work into my personal statement and UCAS in general right from the start of Year 12.

What work have you done? Just wondering because I’m in year 12 and I need to push myself.
(edited 2 years ago)
:eek4: wait what

Most courses don't interview, it's mainly down to the information on the UCAS app.

But what'll really annoy the OP is if they find out how many courses barely look at the personal statement.
Original post by Admit-One
Most courses don't interview, it's mainly down to the information on the UCAS app.

But what'll really annoy the OP is if they find out how many courses barely look at the personal statement.

This is good to know - although I can understand why courses might not look at the PS wouldn't be surprised if more than one student but a load of rubbish on :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending