The Student Room Group

Receiving a bad grade in my first a level exam

I've recently started year 12 , and just about to reach my first half term . Yesterday I received a question I answered for history A -level , where i received 6/10 equating to a grade C. I feel so upset , as all I do is come home and revise from 16:20 t0 21:20 .I just feels like nothing is paying off , and my dreams of going to study at top universities are far beyond . I understand that this is my first assesment , but I'm really cautious it'll go towards my predicted grades . I'm also feeling really down , as I can't seem to find the motivation to do my work ,without feeling as though I'm failing, and even if i try hard I'm still not going to do well.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello,
I know it seems like a big deal and everyone has different expectations of themselves but a C is an okay grade,plus its your first time sitting AS level style questions which are a huge jump from GCSE.Normally,the exams that matter the most are the end of year 12 mock exams but I get that you want to improve which is a great mindset.Have you gone through your paper-seen where you lost your marks?Focus on that and go through with your teacher about what went wrong,questions that need explaining and how to improve through revision.Now is the time to improve your revision technique/explore what revison technique is for you.Have you tried exam questions when revising?Working smarter instead of harder is the key too.(I know this is easier said than done.)
Original post by user/23
I've recently started year 12 , and just about to reach my first half term . Yesterday I received a question I answered for history A -level , where i received 6/10 equating to a grade C. I feel so upset , as all I do is come home and revise from 16:20 t0 21:20 .I just feels like nothing is paying off , and my dreams of going to study at top universities are far beyond . I understand that this is my first assesment , but I'm really cautious it'll go towards my predicted grades . I'm also feeling really down , as I can't seem to find the motivation to do my work ,without feeling as though I'm failing, and even if i try hard I'm still not going to do well.

You already posted this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=96017243

Your feedback was very positive so you really need to take that on board rather than trying to make yourself feel bad. Ok?
Original post by user/23

Hiya! Sixth Form as a whole can be really stressful and for me, History A Level is the one I need to work hardest at. I understand it can be very demotivating when you get a bad result, especially if you have high expectations. I think it's important to keep in mind that you have just started your course which is at a completely different level of difficulty compared to GCSEs. You're trying your hardest and that is truly what matters because that is how you will improve and get the result you want at the end of the two years. Make sure not to overwork yourself though. People perform best when they're in a positive mindset and you want to enjoy studying since that will also help you achieve the grades you want. Take a step back to look at the situation objectively if you find yourself getting frustrated and focus on the positives :smile:

As your first exam, it definitely shouldn't have an impact on your predicted grade - that will be decided further down the line when you're more confident in the subject. If it makes you feel better, History A Level absolutely terrified me last year but I kept persisting and now I've been predicted an A*.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
You already posted this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=96017243

Your feedback was very positive so you really need to take that on board rather than trying to make yourself feel bad. Ok?

haha , I'm stuck in a bit of pit of self doubt , so I'm trying to accumulate lots of advice , in an attempt to motivate me . Also , thankyou once again for responding to my post, I really appreciate it, :smile::smile:
Original post by user/23
haha , I'm stuck in a bit of pit of self doubt , so I'm trying to accumulate lots of advice , in an attempt to motivate me . Also , thankyou once again for responding to my post, I really appreciate it, :smile::smile:

My guess is that you're used to receiving nearly immaculate marks. Therefore 6/10 appears horrendous? It's not on a first attempt at a higher level.

Think of it this way... When you were learning to walk did you do it perfectly first time?
Reply 6
Original post by Cherokee465
Hiya! Sixth Form as a whole can be really stressful and for me, History A Level is the one I need to work hardest at. I understand it can be very demotivating when you get a bad result, especially if you have high expectations. I think it's important to keep in mind that you have just started your course which is at a completely different level of difficulty compared to GCSEs. You're trying your hardest and that is truly what matters because that is how you will improve and get the result you want at the end of the two years. Make sure not to overwork yourself though. People perform best when they're in a positive mindset and you want to enjoy studying since that will also help you achieve the grades you want. Take a step back to look at the situation objectively if you find yourself getting frustrated and focus on the positives :smile:

As your first exam, it definitely shouldn't have an impact on your predicted grade - that will be decided further down the line when you're more confident in the subject. If it makes you feel better, History A Level absolutely terrified me last year but I kept persisting and now I've been predicted an A*.

Hope this helps!

hello :smile:! Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond , and well done of your outstanding prediction ! Also , I completely get you , I think it just threw me off , as I believed it was 'good' as i followed a structure and I'd been spending a lot of time revising . However , like you say it's important not to overwork yourself

Original post by ageshallnot
My guess is that you're used to receiving nearly immaculate marks. Therefore 6/10 appears horrendous? It's not on a first attempt at a higher level.

Think of it this way... When you were learning to walk did you do it perfectly first time?

I think I just attain this idealized life plan , and if I find something doesn't align with that , it means I can't achieve my aspirations . I often find myself longing for academic validation , and when that doesn't occur it really upsets me , and makes me really dislike myself (sounds quite extreme, but it's hard to explain). Also, I didn't go to the best high school (rated one of the worst in the uk) , and I subsequently moved school for sixth form , but feeling a sense of failure brings me back to rather sad times at my old school and makes me really dejected . It's hard , as I want to do well academically , that it can attain quite a grave impact upon my mental health , which causes me to loose motivation altogether - which is not good for my studies . I'm really sorry for this rather log and messy explanation , but I don't really talk about the way I feel to anyone without fearing judgement .
6 marks out of 10 is a tiny amount of marks to be awarded a 'grade' for (you'd go up nearly a grade for every mark earned!) so try not to be disheartened by this. Have you recieved any feedback about your answer? Maybe it's the exam technique/essay structure that needs some work rather than the actual content of your answer
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by flaurie
6 marks out of 10 is a tiny amount of marks to be awarded a 'grade' for (you'd go up nearly a grade for every mark earned!) so try not to be disheartened by this. Have you recieved any feedback about your answer? Maybe it's the exam technique/essay structure that needs some work rather than the actual content of your answer

Thankyou for your response , also yes I know , that's what's upsetting me as if i'd gained 3 more marks I could of got an A*. Additionally , this is my feedback
You have worked very hard on this and the result is a clearly structured and organised answer that covers a lot of very valuable ground in analysing Liss. This is a really good effort and gets you going on your grade journey.

To do even better-

1 keep things simple e.g. change this 'However ,  Liss’s argument appears to lack convincement' for "However Liss is equally unconvincing.' This then allows you to present all the evidence that proves Liss has not taken everything into account.

2 Shorten both paragraphs by 50%. This will keep it focused and avoid the need for so many joining phrases. Uses phrases like; similarly, it is also clear that, in 1480..... etc. Just move through a presentation of fact.

3 Look closely at the model answers and the guidance for length and content.

Well done for a great start to this journey of extract work.
Reply 9
Original post by Cherokee465

Hope this helps!

Thankyou for taking the time to respond ,and for your useful advice ! I feel a major sense of relief , through reading your response and I subsequently feel a grave amount of motivation too ! Also , well done on your outstanding prediction , and I wish you the very best of luck for this year :smile::smile:
Original post by user/23
hello :smile:! Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond , and well done of your outstanding prediction ! Also , I completely get you , I think it just threw me off , as I believed it was 'good' as i followed a structure and I'd been spending a lot of time revising . However , like you say it's important not to overwork yourself

I think I just attain this idealized life plan , and if I find something doesn't align with that , it means I can't achieve my aspirations . I often find myself longing for academic validation , and when that doesn't occur it really upsets me , and makes me really dislike myself (sounds quite extreme, but it's hard to explain). Also, I didn't go to the best high school (rated one of the worst in the uk) , and I subsequently moved school for sixth form , but feeling a sense of failure brings me back to rather sad times at my old school and makes me really dejected . It's hard , as I want to do well academically , that it can attain quite a grave impact upon my mental health , which causes me to loose motivation altogether - which is not good for my studies . I'm really sorry for this rather log and messy explanation , but I don't really talk about the way I feel to anyone without fearing judgement .

So follow the advice given in the feedback. Gradual improvements. Life is a long old game...
Reply 11
Original post by gertisthebest
Hello,
I know it seems like a big deal and everyone has different expectations of themselves but a C is an okay grade,plus its your first time sitting AS level style questions which are a huge jump from GCSE.Normally,the exams that matter the most are the end of year 12 mock exams but I get that you want to improve which is a great mindset.Have you gone through your paper-seen where you lost your marks?Focus on that and go through with your teacher about what went wrong,questions that need explaining and how to improve through revision.Now is the time to improve your revision technique/explore what revison technique is for you.Have you tried exam questions when revising?Working smarter instead of harder is the key too.(I know this is easier said than done.)

Thankyou so much for your response , and thankyou once again for the majorly beneficial advice ! Over the course of this weekend , I'm going to rewrite my answer , and then request for my teacher to mark it (hopefully they will ) . I decided to try out a different question structure , rather than sticking to what I'm 'good' at , as I believed my way was rather 'messy' ; however I now reason to believe my original way of answering questions is much better (it still needs improvement ). :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by user/23
Thankyou for your response , also yes I know , that's what's upsetting me as if i'd gained 3 more marks I could of got an A*. Additionally , this is my feedback
You have worked very hard on this and the result is a clearly structured and organised answer that covers a lot of very valuable ground in analysing Liss. This is a really good effort and gets you going on your grade journey.

To do even better-

1 keep things simple e.g. change this 'However ,  Liss’s argument appears to lack convincement' for "However Liss is equally unconvincing.' This then allows you to present all the evidence that proves Liss has not taken everything into account.

2 Shorten both paragraphs by 50%. This will keep it focused and avoid the need for so many joining phrases. Uses phrases like; similarly, it is also clear that, in 1480..... etc. Just move through a presentation of fact.

3 Look closely at the model answers and the guidance for length and content.

Well done for a great start to this journey of extract work.

looks like some really useful feedback and your teacher obviously thinks its a positive start :yep: try not to let it get to you, the way to answer/structure questions at a-level is quite different to at gcse and it can take a while to get used to that :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by flaurie
looks like some really useful feedback and your teacher obviously thinks its a positive start :yep: try not to let it get to you, the way to answer/structure questions at a-level is quite different to at gcse and it can take a while to get used to that :smile:

Thankyou so much !:smile::smile:
Original post by user/23
Thankyou so much for your response , and thankyou once again for the majorly beneficial advice ! Over the course of this weekend , I'm going to rewrite my answer , and then request for my teacher to mark it (hopefully they will ) . I decided to try out a different question structure , rather than sticking to what I'm 'good' at , as I believed my way was rather 'messy' ; however I now reason to believe my original way of answering questions is much better (it still needs improvement ). :smile::smile::smile:

Getting feedback from your teachers is a good way to improve your test results as there's no point in continuing to revise and not learning your mistakes.I'm glad my advice was good-could it have been any better?i'm new to the student room.
Reply 15
Original post by gertisthebest
Getting feedback from your teachers is a good way to improve your test results as there's no point in continuing to revise and not learning your mistakes.I'm glad my advice was good-could it have been any better?i'm new to the student room.

Yes, definitely ! Also , I'm fairly new too , but no not at all your advice was great , super helpful - there isn't really a right or wrong response when it comes to responses upon post's. The most helpful component is honesty , and I spose helping unravel one's queries really . :smile::smile::smile:
6/10 is not even bad for a first exam though......
Reply 17
Original post by lunariumxo
6/10 is not even bad for a first exam though......

In all honesty I wouldn't think it was that bad ,if I wasn't given the grade for the question . Also , the question we answered isn't part of an a level exam either , so one mark meant the difference of a grade . Similarly , I was upset , as I've been revising quite hard , and i just felt as though it hadn't payed off . Plus , A-levels are less than 2 years so I was just panicking in general, but like you say it isn't bad , I just thought i'd do better .:smile::smile::smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by user/23

dw about it, I was in the same situation as you in year 12. I remember one physics test I had (I think it was on statics, moments and forces) and I flopped really bad, my score was in the single figures (overall as a class we did poorly but I think I did the worst). The teacher tried to you know make some positive points out of it when going through my paper with me by pointing out what I did good on loll but he just avoided anything else. Anyways you just need to work on your weak areas although this is your first assessment so it may not be as obvious just yet but for me that test contributed towards my termly monitoring and it bought my average down from all the other test that were going towards the termly monitoring and for my termly monitoring I think the grade that was put on the system was a D or an E not too sure. Anyways I just did a load of practice on that topic I flopped the test on, watched so many YT vids and did past paper questions and in my year 12 mock just before the first national lockdown was announced (March 2020) I ended up getting an A. And for my actual result which I received this August I got an A in physics so yeahhh dont get bogged down by one assessment just continue to do what your doing, go over what you are doing in class and dont leave everything till the last minute
Original post by user/23

Don't worry, I got consistent Ds in chemistry and wound up with B predicted by working my arse off for mocks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest