The Student Room Group

Can't breathe

I keep having episodes where I'm struggling to catch my breath and keep coughing. This is really uncomfortable and I have a gp appointment on Monday but in the meantime, what can I do to catch my breath? I feel like I'm going to die when it happens.
It could be maybe a sign of a panic attack, have you been in stress recently?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
It could be maybe a sign of a panic attack, have you been in stress recently?

No more than usual. It can happen even when I'm just lying on the sofa watching TV- no trigger as far as I can tell.
No more than usual. It can happen even when I'm just lying on the sofa watching TV- no trigger as far as I can tell.

How long have these episodes been going on far, if i may ask
Reply 4
Original post by OmniMas Chan
How long have these episodes been going on far, if i may ask

For a few weeks. Each episode lasts about 5 minutes, i sit up and try to take deep breaths but it feels like I'm dying.
For a few weeks. Each episode lasts about 5 minutes, i sit up and try to take deep breaths but it feels like I'm dying.

Oh Jesus mate, yeah good you're seeing your GP on Monday, in the meanwhile I don't know if it would be effective but you could do small breathing exercises such as Diaphragmatic breathing where you basically:
1)Sit in a chair with bent knees and relaxed shoulders, head, and neck.
2)Place your hand on your belly.
3)Breathe in slowly through your nose. You should feel your belly moving under your hand.
4)As you exhale, tighten your muscles. You should feel your belly fall inward. Breathe out through your mouth with pursed lips.
5)Put more emphasis on the exhale than the inhale. Keep exhaling for longer than usual before slowly inhaling again.
6)Repeat for about 5 minutes.

also, sit forward on a chair, stand near a wall and rest your hips on the wall, drink water, and do more standing exercises, sorry if these don't end up helping you that much, hope you get better soon
Why wouldn't you go to a GP about this sooner? sounds really dire
Reply 7
Original post by OmniMas Chan
Oh Jesus mate, yeah good you're seeing your GP on Monday, in the meanwhile I don't know if it would be effective but you could do small breathing exercises such as Diaphragmatic breathing where you basically:
1)Sit in a chair with bent knees and relaxed shoulders, head, and neck.
2)Place your hand on your belly.
3)Breathe in slowly through your nose. You should feel your belly moving under your hand.
4)As you exhale, tighten your muscles. You should feel your belly fall inward. Breathe out through your mouth with pursed lips.
5)Put more emphasis on the exhale than the inhale. Keep exhaling for longer than usual before slowly inhaling again.
6)Repeat for about 5 minutes.

also, sit forward on a chair, stand near a wall and rest your hips on the wall, drink water, and do more standing exercises, sorry if these don't end up helping you that much, hope you get better soon

Thanks for the tips! I will give it a go next time to happens.
Reply 8
Why wouldn't you go to a GP about this sooner? sounds really dire

:colondollar: I was just hoping that it would go away.
Have you done a covid test?
Original post by black tea
Have you done a covid test?

A couple of weeks ago yes. My cough has been going longer than the ability to breathe problem. I've also had both shots as well as flu and booster.
See a doctor about this. Keep a log of your issues. Write down times and days etc.
Original post by tinygirl96
See a doctor about this. Keep a log of your issues. Write down times and days etc.

Got an appointment for Monday.:smile: I need to get through the weekend.
Got an appointment for Monday.:smile: I need to get through the weekend.

call 111 if you feel worse, don't wait until Monday. Feel better soon!
I had a GP appointment and she referred me for an endoscopy as she doesn't think I have asthma. She thinks it may be stricture in my oesophagus. So in the meantime I have to put up and shut up. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest