The Student Room Group

Why is medicine dominated by so many medical families?

Seems like a lot of people in medical school have parents aunties etc who are GPs etc. They go to private schools and have inside information etc I am not criticizing them because they just want the best for themselves but has anyone noticed this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
Seems like a lot of people in medical school have parents aunties etc who are GPs etc. They go to private schools and have inside information etc I am not criticizing them because they just want the best for themselves but has anyone noticed this?

I can't speak for the rest of the post, but family doctors are usually an inspiration because you get to see the contributions they make and learn about what they do. I reckon if everyone shadowed a doctor we'd have a lot more applications to med school!

It's a pretty engrossing degree and career. Chances are you may meet your partner at medical school or junior doctor years. After that your kids may grow up seeing their parents doing very similar jobs which take up a lot of their time. Early exposure leads to personal interest and it develops from there.

It's probably no different to acting, music, or the armed forces.
Reply 3
Think of it this way: children with doctors in the family grow up around the culture of that profession and have their whole early life to learn about it at the dinner table so when it gets to applying.. they sound a lot more clued up on the realities of being a doctor (as well as the insider info about current topics in the field) mainly because they are. They receive free and unconditional mentoring from loved ones who i imagine are far more involved with their learning and development than say for a first gen med applicant with no family links who maybe gets a few weeks of volunteer work with doctors that don’t know them or their story very well. Children of doctors can easily ‘fall into’ the career simply because of all of the help around them to direct them with how to apply, how to answer questions, explore specific passions. Stuff like that is priceless.
Honestly a lot of doctors actively try and put their children off from pursuing a career in medicine.
(edited 2 years ago)
I might be an exception as I'm the first healthcare professional (dental student) in my family
Original post by Democracy
Honestly a lot of doctors actively try and put their children off from pursuing a career in medicine.

yes but a lot will also tell them how good it is and pressure them into it also a lot will go to private school have extra tuition etc
yes but a lot will also tell them how good it is and pressure them into it also a lot will go to private school have extra tuition etc

Okay so like lots of other middle class families then.
Original post by Democracy
Okay so like lots of other middle class families then.

but with the added benefit of admissions help work experience etc
Reply 9
but with the added benefit of admissions help work experience etc

Not always that helpful - they'll have got into med school 20+ years previously and may not have much of a clue about current admissions policies. Certainly my friends (I applied 20 years ago) who aren't actively involved in admissions/teaching/helping online on places like TSR are not up to speed with how universities are doing it these days. I wouldn't say that bit particularly is a huge advantage, though all the other points already made about being able to provide a supportive environment very much stand.

I'm not from a medical family. I do have a cousin a year older than me who is also a doctor, but we didn't have much/anything to do with each other's careers. I did go to private school though. Definitely wouldn't push my kids in to medicine but if they wanted to do it I would obviously help them with it. I'd help them with any sensible career aspirations, I am probably more useful for medicine though!
Original post by rzi999
Think of it this way: children with doctors in the family grow up around the culture of that profession and have their whole early life to learn about it at the dinner table so when it gets to applying.. they sound a lot more clued up on the realities of being a doctor (as well as the insider info about current topics in the field) mainly because they are. They receive free and unconditional mentoring from loved ones who i imagine are far more involved with their learning and development than say for a first gen med applicant with no family links who maybe gets a few weeks of volunteer work with doctors that don’t know them or their story very well. Children of doctors can easily ‘fall into’ the career simply because of all of the help around them to direct them with how to apply, how to answer questions, explore specific passions. Stuff like that is priceless.

not Medicine but that sounds very like a number of the 2nd and 3rd generation professional dancers i know as well ( although there is a clear genetic aspect esp if both mum and dad are/ were dancers )
(edited 2 years ago)

You can also say exactly the same for trades. Miners, builders, plumbers, carpenters, many craft trades etc.

Any parents who hold down a long-term job can give their kids insider information about how to ace the application and interview process, the key things to say, important habits to adopt, the times to apply, etc.
Original post by threeportdrift
You can also say exactly the same for trades. Miners, builders, plumbers, carpenters, many craft trades etc.

Any parents who hold down a long-term job can give their kids insider information about how to ace the application and interview process, the key things to say, important habits to adopt, the times to apply, etc.

no but they are not difficult to get into nor particularly desirable occupations to a lot of people
no but they are not difficult to get into nor particularly desirable occupations to a lot of people

But that's not relevant to your question. You can't stop parental relationships working the way they work just because some provide more popular benefits (at least by your perspective) than others.
Original post by threeportdrift
But that's not relevant to your question. You can't stop parental relationships working the way they work just because some provide more popular benefits (at least by your perspective) than others.

I wasn't saying it was parental relationships more insider help and unfair admissions practices that could explain it.
I wasn't saying it was parental relationships more insider help and unfair admissions practices that could explain it.

What 'insider help'?
What 'unfair admissions practices'?

I can't think of another university course which has admissions information and data which is more transparent, more accessible and more analysed than medicine. Can you?
Original post by Reality Check
What 'insider help'?
What 'unfair admissions practices'?

I can't think of another university course which has admissions information and data which is more transparent, more accessible and more analysed than medicine. Can you?

PRSOM!
Reply 17
In the same way butchers tend to run in the family, blacksmiths, teachers,carpenters, farmers. People grow up wanting to emulate what they see around them, its also easirwer than going to unknown territory because you get to sit with dad/mum/aunt to talk about their day, their experiences and it inspires you. My butcher currently has his daughter in training with him, he's teaching how to cut meat and the different parts. Such is life.
Well maybe they should publish details of the average student to receive an offer and maybe advise students on their chances before they even apply a lot of comprehensive schools don't know how hard it will be to get in. They could also think about offering private tuition to comprehensive school kids and also putting less stock by the personal statement. You are acting like the status quo is a good thing are you yourself from a medical family?
Where do they post your chances of receiving an offer? Also I didn't say the efforts to widen participation weren't appreciated I just said I have still noticed that a lot of people who are doctors have fathers mothers etc who are doctors. Also did you go to private school what advice did you receive at school? Most students apply then get their rejection letter in the post without either any advice before nor feedback after as to why they were rejected. I know someone who got 7 a stars and three as and straight rejections and now works in accountancy from a comprehensive school single-parent family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending