The Student Room Group

changing uni while in first year

what to do if i want to change uni but am in first year of uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
what to do if i want to change uni but am in first year of uni?

It’s better to not start at a university if you want to leave. Their is a process called transferring but generally the UK isn’t very accommodating due to course credit requirements etc. and it is much tougher if you want to upgrade uni.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
It’s better to not start at a university if you want to leave. Their is a process called transferring but generally the UK isn’t very accommodating due to course credit requirements etc. and it is much tougher if you want to upgrade uni.

I've heard of people doing it ?
I've heard of people doing it ?

Yes it happens but it’s not necessarily going to happen, it’s unique to every set of circumstances.

As i say the best thing to do is not start at a university you want to leave...
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Yes it happens but it’s not necessarily going to happen, it’s unique to every set of circumstances.

As i say the best thing to do is not start at a university you want to leave...

I know but at the time of starting I didn't have an option... are yo
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous)
I know but at the time of starting I didn't have an option... are yo

u saying that the probability of that working out is very low?

It’s very hard to say. It s extremely dependent on your personal academics pre-uni, at uni, your current course & its structure, the new course & its structure, the new uni, the situation regarding current enrollment students at the new uni... (it’s impossible to say).

I am trying to manage your expectations, as their is a good chance it doesn’t work out.

I tend to think resitting &/or reapplying is better then enrolling at a uni you don’t want to be at.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
It’s very hard to say. It s extremely dependent on your personal academics pre-uni, at uni, your current course & its structure, the new course & its structure, the new uni, the situation regarding current enrollment students at the new uni... (it’s impossible to say).

I am trying to manage your expectations, as their is a good chance it doesn’t work out.

I tend to think resitting &/or reapplying is better then enrolling at a uni you don’t want to be at.

would dropping out of uni and reapplying be a good idea?
would dropping out of uni and reapplying be a good idea?

Well this also puts you in a difficult spot. As you have likely now burned 1 year of student finance eligibility at this point (but you do get 1 year longer then your degree, it just means you cant resit any more years). You likely also have signed a tenancy agreement you'll be responsible for (and you'll not have your maintenance loan any more...)

I think you have to ask yourself, would you be happy completing your degree at the university you are currently enrolled at?

- If yes, then I would say stay on at the uni & if the transfer thing works out then even better but you dont need it. (or you could consider moving university for masters instead).
- If no, then I think dropping out & re-applying is a sensible route, it gives you a couple months to apply to 5 universities (where you would be happy to complete your degree at).

--
I will also add, unless for your career your applying for corporate law, investment banking, consulting etc. far too much is often made about university prestige. University is more about what you achieve during your time their, not where you are.

Id also recommend discussing this with your parents and anyone else you trust, & perhaps your current university tutor as this is an important decision. So make sure its the right one for yourself...
(edited 2 years ago)

It may be useful to read the Transfer FAQ so you are at last aware of the process. As above, unis are often not very accommodating of these swaps, although it is a possibility in some cases. You will have to do a bit of research with your target uni(s) though.

Dropping out and reapplying has its own risks, as you will have used up your gift year and if things don't work out you will be self funding for at least a year.

The most important thing is to work out what it is about your current course that isn't working for you, and whether a uni/course swap will resolve that.
Original post by mnot
Well this also puts you in a difficult spot. As you have likely now burned 1 year of student finance eligibility at this point (but you do get 1 year longer then your degree, it just means you cant resit any more years). You likely also have signed a tenancy agreement you'll be responsible for (and you'll not have your maintenance loan any more...)

I think you have to ask yourself, would you be happy completing your degree at the university you are currently enrolled at?

- If yes, then I would say stay on at the uni & if the transfer thing works out then even better but you dont need it. (or you could consider moving university for masters instead).
- If no, then I think dropping out & re-applying is a sensible route, it gives you a couple months to apply to 5 universities (where you would be happy to complete your degree at).

--
I will also add, unless for your career your applying for corporate law, investment banking, consulting etc. far too much is often made about university prestige. University is more about what you achieve during your time their, not where you are.

Id also recommend discussing this with your parents and anyone else you trust, & perhaps your current university tutor as this is an important decision. So make sure its the right one for yourself...

thank you.. it's too late to apply for oxbridge again now, isn't it?
Original post by Admit-One
It may be useful to read the Transfer FAQ so you are at last aware of the process. As above, unis are often not very accommodating of these swaps, although it is a possibility in some cases. You will have to do a bit of research with your target uni(s) though.

Dropping out and reapplying has its own risks, as you will have used up your gift year and if things don't work out you will be self funding for at least a year.

The most important thing is to work out what it is about your current course that isn't working for you, and whether a uni/course swap will resolve that.

gift year? thank you.
thank you.. it's too late to apply for oxbridge again now, isn't it?

The Oxbridge deadline is this afternoon, so unless you have already prepared the application & just need to send it from a practicality standpoint is probably too late.

The gift year is to do with the way student finance works. So they will fund the length of your undergrad degree + 1 year (this year is for if you need to resit or change course...) by starting at a new uni next year you would have effectively already used the gift year, as you are currently enrolled at uni.
Reply 13
gift year? thank you.

A gift year is what Student Finance call the extra year in funding you can receive as a buffer in case you need to repeat a year, etc.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by mnot
The Oxbridge deadline is this afternoon, so unless you have already prepared the application & just need to send it from a practicality standpoint is probably too late.

The gift year is to do with the way student finance works. So they will fund the length of your undergrad degree + 1 year (this year is for if you need to resit or change course...) by starting at a new uni next year you would have effectively already used the gift year, as you are currently enrolled at uni.

thank you.
thank you.

Do you think oxbridge will frown on a dropout?
Do you think oxbridge will frown on a dropout?

Depends on the reasons for withdrawing. If your academic performance wasn't great, they probably would. If you just fancied changing subjects, probably not.

You can always ask them before applying.
Original post by Admit-One
Depends on the reasons for withdrawing. If your academic performance wasn't great, they probably would. If you just fancied changing subjects, probably not.

You can always ask them before applying.

Should I email them to ask them?
Should I email them to ask them?

@Peterhouse Admissions would cambridge frown on a dropout application?
@Peterhouse Admissions would cambridge frown on a dropout application?

Hi there! We wouldn't frown upon it, no. It will depend to some extent on whether you have dropped out to reapply for a different uni or a different course (or both). That's not to say we wouldn't accept either as a valid reason, but it's quite likely you would be asked at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending