The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
ik its a bit random :laugh: but can you help me with this question?

A high degree of self-discipline is one quality exhibited by all athletes who have reached the
uppermost levels of competition, whatever the sport. This amount of self-discipline is in
evidence long after the initial excitement of a sport has worn off, and an athlete has had to
keep going through years of painful and repetitive training sessions. The example of top
athletes suggests one approach to improving student behaviour and educational achievement.
If more young people could begin training programmes akin to those of elite athletes, they too
would develop exceptional levels of personal discipline to apply within their studies.

Which one of the following best expresses the flaw in the above argument?
A High levels of self-discipline may not be all that it takes to become an elite athlete.
B Young people may be able to develop self-discipline through other kinds of activities.
C The kind of coaching support available to elite athletes may not be accessible to the
general population.
D Good behaviour and educational achievement during one’s school years may not be
essential for going on to lead a successful life.
E Strong self-discipline may not be an effect of the training but rather a capacity already
possessed by athletes as they start their training.

Literally did this paper last night!
So the argument is saying elite athletes have very high discipline and train. School children need discipline, so they should do the same training in order to develop this training.

Put this way can you see the problem is that the argument assumes causation where there is only correlation.

The answer that says that problem in different words is E - just because elite athletes train and have discipline doesn’t mean the training caused the discipline.

I can also tell you why it isn’t the others if you need - just don’t want to type it out if you don’t :smile:

(Still same person, didnt realise anon was on)
Original post by franklyspeakingg
im applying for geography at st catherines :smile:

Ahh no way! Same here! How are you feeling about applying? And the tsa?

If you don’t mind my asking, what are your grades like?
(edited 2 years ago)
r

Original post by dolcie000
any law applicants / new college applicants? :smile:

right here! for law
Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard back from Oxford? I've received an email today at 7:30 am but am too timid to open it🙈. I hope it is just a confirmation email!!
Original post by mantao
Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard back from Oxford? I've received an email today at 7:30 am but am too timid to open it🙈. I hope it is just a confirmation email!!

It’ll just be a confirmation email as they won’t make decisions about interviews until November time :smile: mine was a confirmation!
Original post by mantao

i got a confirmation email from oxford before i got my ucas email, nothing to worry about!
Original post by mantao

yeah it is just a confirmation of the application, i got it this morning too
Original post by dolcie000
any law applicants / new college applicants? :smile:

Hi - I'm applying to do law, and at New College too funnily enough!
Original post by mantao

Yes, I have received a confirmation email.
Reply 1969
Ready to submit my application. Although when I pasted my personal statement into UCAS and look at the preview, the formatting seems all over the place? Any others?
Reply 1970
Original post by G2021
Ready to submit my application. Although when I pasted my personal statement into UCAS and look at the preview, the formatting seems all over the place? Any others?

It’s the crap revamp. Normally it’d show each line very clearly, instead of line 1 of text spread over two lines and so on.
But this is their new look with improvements 🤷*♀️
Original post by mantao

Yh it’s just a confirmation email lol. People won’t start getting invited to interview/rejected until November.
Original post by Anonymous
It’ll just be a confirmation email as they won’t make decisions about interviews until November time :smile: mine was a confirmation!

Oh right! I've just opened mine too, thank you!
Original post by ivyxue49
i got a confirmation email from oxford before i got my ucas email, nothing to worry about!

Hi, thank you so much for your response, I've opened it!
Reply 1974
Original post by asclepeion
It’s the crap revamp. Normally it’d show each line very clearly, instead of line 1 of text spread over two lines and so on.
But this is their new look with improvements 🤷*♀️

Ah so as long as it looks okay when I put it in originally it'll be fine?
Original post by nmorenopaiva
Yes, I have received a confirmation email.

Yes, all good! Thanks!
Original post by astudent..
yeah it is just a confirmation of the application, i got it this morning too

Great, thanks~
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
Yh it’s just a confirmation email lol. People won’t start getting invited to interview/rejected until November.

Cool, thank you haha I'm so worried!!
Reply 1977
Original post by mantao

you won't get an offer from Oxford before the admissions test and interview so I'm pretty sure it will be confirmation itself
No one will hear anything regarding the status of their application apart from a confirmation email until late November/early December for interviews and mid January for the offers! You don’t have to worry about opening any emails till then :smile:
guys im so stressed right now i submitted my application to UCAS a week ago and my school still haven't sent it off. The deadline is in like 4 hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending