The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Queen Mary for LLB?

I've applied to QMUL and Manchester for safety, but I'm getting cold feet regarding QMUL the more I think about living in such an expensive city, in case I don't get into my preferred London unis

As an international applicant, the conversion to pounds really hurts. So I'm trying to figure if QMUL is worth the expense, or if I should switch to Bristol
Original post by ziggy_1999
I've applied to QMUL and Manchester for safety, but I'm getting cold feet regarding QMUL the more I think about living in such an expensive city, in case I don't get into my preferred London unis

As an international applicant, the conversion to pounds really hurts. So I'm trying to figure if QMUL is worth the expense, or if I should switch to Bristol

Bristol is better than queen Mary anyway
Reply 2
Original post by Laurence00
Bristol is better than queen Mary anyway

Really? I just judged by QS world ranks and then looked at courses. But I'm increasingly feeling like I shouldn't go to QMUL

Maybe I'll just switch to Bristol after attending a university fair that's due this weekend
Really? I just judged by QS world ranks and then looked at courses. But I'm increasingly feeling like I shouldn't go to QMUL

Maybe I'll just switch to Bristol after attending a university fair that's due this weekend

Bristol is 62nd (QS 2022) and QMUL is 117th (QS 2022)
Reply 4
Original post by Laurence00
Bristol is 62nd (QS 2022) and QMUL is 117th (QS 2022)

When I checked for law specifically a few months ago, QMUL was 7 and Bristol wasn't even in the top 10 (although it is 10 this year) so I went with that
When I checked for law specifically a few months ago, QMUL was 7 and Bristol wasn't even in the top 10 (although it is 10 this year) so I went with that

This year bristol is number 9 (up 10) and QMUL is 10 (up 17) from the complete university guide. But idk about other tables. But honestly I wouldn’t really trust league tables because they fluctuate so much and definitely aren’t representative of employability. For example in this years rankings they’ve ranked Nottingham 23rd for law when Nottingham law graduates are in the top 10 most targeted
(edited 2 years ago)

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019

Hi!

I know you will probably think I'm a little biased, given that I am a student at Queen Mary but I'm happy to give you really honest advice!

Because both Bristol and London are cities they are both more expensive than it would be outside of a city. People often think London is extremely expensive and, yes, it can be but if you know the right places to go and if you are wise with your money then it can really be as cheap as you want it to be. QMUL is based in zone 2 which is kind of outside the zone of central London which makes things a lot cheaper in my opinion. This particularly applies to accommodation - I looked into UCL and King's College when I was applying to university and the accommodation costs are a lot more than QMUL's are (their cheapest accommodation was more expensive than our most expensive one!).

Also, I just had a look at Bristol's accommodation prices and they really aren't that much different from QMUL's accommodation prices, genuinely. I would even say it's slightly more expensive at Bristol. I have actually worked with another ambassador before who went to Bristol in his first year and switched to Queen Mary in his second and he said that his accommodation there was more expensive than it is here.

As a whole I love Queen Mary A LOT, I think it's a great uni because it has such a friendly atmosphere and a really nice and diverse community of students. We also have loads of international students too which could be nice if you felt a bit isolated or anything like that! It's also the only Russel Group campus university in London which really sets it aside and makes it really unique and gives you the 'traditional' uni experience that out of London unis would. Also, QMUL offers bursaries and scholarships, particularly with criteria specific to international students (and many other unis do to!), so that is something that could really help you out in terms of costs :smile:

I'm not trying to bash Bristol at all, I'm sure it's an equally as great university, but I just wanted to address the misconceptions around London unis, and particularly QMUL (which is often hated on a lot, which I really don't think it deserves!!).

I hope this helps a little bit! I think QMUL is a university to still consider - it's not as bad as it's made out to be. Oftentimes, the people talking about it or talking about London unis haven't actually been to one so it's hard to trust their opinions. Just trying to give my honest opinion of someone who actually goes to QMUL!

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending