The Student Room Group

UK government housing refugees in hotel draws ire of customers...omers

So the UK government has been housing Afghan refugees in hotels up and down the country.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/scarborough-hotel-house-extra-150-21493740

Anyway I'll let PJW explain how that's going:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcAuQGoKlI

Wonderful microcosm of the UK in a nutshell.

Scroll to see replies

Imagine using PJW as a source of information. He doesn't apply any level of criticial thinking in his video, how surprising!
Original post by SHallowvale
Imagine using PJW as a source of information.

He doesn't apply any level of criticial thinking in his video, how surprising!

He's literally just reading out hotel reviews

What "critical thinking" should he have used?
What, you don't want to stay in a hotel full of unruly, poorly behaved kids, you bigot?
It's almost like invading a country, embarking on an insanely flawed nation building plan and running away has consequences.

Of course the consequences of a few irate hotel guests is insignificant compared to the suffering the Afghans were subject to.
Original post by Starship Trooper

Why one should critically assess material rather than just reading it out is covered at GCSE level.

It is a shame that many adults quickly forget such skills.

You do realise that people make **** up all the time, right? Especially on the internet. Anyone can write a review on Google, I could write my own review for the Scarborough Hotel right now if I really wanted. Critical thinking would be to not just accept everything you read online, yet this is what PJW and many other alt-right Youtubers do all the time.

Case in point, one of the first things that PJW presents is a radio show where an anonymous caller talks about the refugees trashing up the hotel and smashing furniture. Is any of this verified? Is there any proof of this being presented? Seemingly not, yet both him and the radio presenter take this person's word at face value.
I see. The reviews are made up. :tongue:
I see. The reviews are made up. :tongue:

Do you think we should believe everything we see written on the internet?

The reviews may well be correct, but neither yourself, I or PJW should accept them at face value simply because someone wrote them. You'd think that if these refugees really were rioting, smashing furniture, pissing up walls, etc, then there would be at least some footage of this happening. PJW certainly didn't provide any and I can't seem to find anything online, can you?
Original post by Roberts 64
It's almost like invading a country, embarking on an insanely flawed nation building plan and running away has consequences.

Of course the consequences of a few irate hotel guests is insignificant compared to the suffering the Afghans were subject to.

I mean I disagree with those wars too.

But why should the UK public accept negative "consequences" it does not want and doesn't really have to accept? (This is what actual critical thinking looks like rather than repeating mainstream talking points).
Reply 10
So the UK government has been housing Afghan refugees in hotels up and down the country.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/scarborough-hotel-house-extra-150-21493740

Anyway I'll let PJW explain how that's going:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcAuQGoKlI

Wonderful microcosm of the UK in a nutshell.

One way to lose any argument is using PJW as a source of information.
I mean I disagree with those wars too.

But why should the UK public accept negative "consequences" it does not want and doesn't really have to accept? (This is what actual critical thinking looks like rather than repeating mainstream talking points).

Even if one accepted them (and I agree there is no reason to), it's much cheaper to rehouse them in nearby countries in that region.
(edited 2 years ago)

The reviews may well be correct, but neither yourself, I or PJW should accept them at face value simply because someone wrote them.

You'd think that if these refugees really were rioting, smashing furniture, pissing up walls, etc, then there would be at least some footage of this happening. PJW certainly didn't provide any and I can't seem to find anything online, can you?

No. But I think we can assume at least a majority of those reviews are real.

Any video that gets put will no doubt be removed for "hate speech" even if it's just a simple recording. RT tried to investigate a similar case but were told by the police to go away and these.
No. But I think we can assume at least a majority of those reviews are real.

Any video that gets put will no doubt be removed for "hate speech" even if it's just a simple recording. RT tried to investigate a similar case but were told by the police to go away and these.

Why, because they conviniently align with your pre-existing beliefs? According to Google, there were simultaneously very positive and very negative reviews coming from the hotel at exactly the same time, both saying opposite things about the refugees. Why have you chosen to accept only the negative ones?

*******s. If these things were happening then there would be plenty of videos of it online already.
Why, because they conviniently align with your pre-existing beliefs? According to Google, there were simultaneously very positive and very negative reviews coming from the hotel at exactly the same time, both saying opposite things about the refugees. Why have you chosen to accept only the negative ones?

*******s. If these things were happening then there would be plenty of videos of it online already.

Wait I thought we couldn't trust these reviews?

There probably have been, but have no doubt been removed.

Do you deny that this happens? They don't even deny it! EG-

eg https://www.thelocal.ch/20191011/swiss-right-wing-party-cries-censorship-after-youtube-blocks-video/

If they'll censor large political parties, what makes you think they wont delete joe bloggs filming stuff on his iphone that they dont like
(edited 2 years ago)
Wait I thought we couldn't trust these reviews?

There probably have been, but have no doubt been removed.

Do you deny that this happens? They don't even deny it! EG-

eg https://www.thelocal.ch/20191011/swiss-right-wing-party-cries-censorship-after-youtube-blocks-video/

We can't, what I am pointing out is that even if we did accept the reviews then we would immediately encounter another problem: inconsistency.

"No doubt" - again, why no doubt? Do you really not think it's possible that the reason we don't have any footage of this is because it simply never happened?

You can go onto Youtube right now and find videos critical of refugees, hell you can even find videos of refugees starting riots. Do you honestly think that some deep state levels of conspriacy is going on to remove videos of refugees trashing some poxy hotel room? Get real.
That is the logical place to house them given the chronic housing shortage.

I feel sorry for them moving from a war torn ****hole into a post industrial northern ****hole.
Reply 17
Dont see the issue to be honest, the hotel guests can suck a lemon for their concerns, not least as i doubt the refugees are much worse behaved than your usual 'karen' et al.
Either way, its a basic moral imperative that we ****ed their country we have to hold the bag afterwards. More than slightly morally repugnant to leave them to be shot in the face otherwise...
Reply 18
Original post by Napp
Dont see the issue to be honest, the hotel guests can suck a lemon for their concerns, not least as i doubt the refugees are much worse behaved than your usual 'karen' et al.
Either way, its a basic moral imperative that we ****ed their country we have to hold the bag afterwards. More than slightly morally repugnant to leave them to be shot in the face otherwise...

Assuming (some) of the reviews are true, no one should have to pay a substantial amount of money to live under such conditions, whether alone, with their partner or their family.

Furthermore, who is we in your post - our State, our us, the people?

I do believe we should be insuring their safety, absolutely, however it clearly has to be done differently.
Reply 19

So we should dismiss it entirely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending